Debate: it's harder to break the floor on sumo/conventional

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
despite people thinking Sumo pulling is cheating, my conventional deadlift is 100lbs more than my sumo. I definitely think it's harder to break the floor on sumos, which is probably why mine is shit.

What's your experiences, sherbets?

I think this is a pretty subjective experience, no?

Varies on the lifter.

My experience is that Sumo is harder to break off the floor, but easier to lock out.

When I lift raw, breaking off the floor is more difficult. When I use to compete in single ply the lockout was more difficult. Back then though my stance was fairly wide, especially for my body type (short limbs, long torso), but not necessary toe to plate wide. I got a nice pop off the floor with the suit, which explains the reason. Now a days my sumo is more of a modified stance, but I'm mostly pulling conventional since I started getting back into lifting again.

Also keep in mind that sumo is much more technical and not as forgiving as gripping and ripping a conventional pull off the floor. Not to mention if you lack the appropriate amount of flexibility to support your stance it can hinder optimizing your leverages.

I struggle more with sumo, but my bitch ass doesn't squat often enough so that may be a reason why

Sumos are a bit more difficult off the floor, I guess. Can't really say- first and only time I gave them a serious try I injured my groin before I had a chance to go really heavy.

Conventional is generally stronger off the floor but a harder lockout. Sumo is the exact opposite for most lifters.

My experience is that Sumo is harder to break off the floor, but easier to lock out.
See, for me, sumo is harder to break from the floor. I think it's technical issues. My first rep is always harder than subsequent reps in a set because I can sit down with the weight properly on the descent.

Conventional is generally stronger off the floor but a harder lockout. Sumo is the exact opposite for most lifters.
Yep when I fail on conventionals it's usually at the kneecap unless it's a weight I have no business trying

Back