dedicate time to boxing OR muay thay?

frango

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
so..hello everybody.
its been a long time since i dont come here.
well...im training BJJ, im a white belt. I do lift weights, the big 3 and assessorie stuff.

well, i come from a krav maga background. I have learned a bit about using fists elbows and few kicks.
i cannot say im very good at it because well...we do not spar in krav maga.
i m really commited to BJJ and lifting.
ill be focusing mainly on lifting untill mid 2018.
i need to practice and spar a striking art.

if i can train only one or two days a week, what should i do?
is muay thay hard to learn?
i want to be skilled in whatever i dedicate myself.

i think the muay thay teacher will put me to squat with body weight togheter with out of shape dudes and recreational ladys who want to "fight".

i need to get good at striking so i can add to my fighting game.
errr...
what do i do?

It's more complicated for obvious reasons.

Honestly I'd just train what you find more fun, unless you're preparing for a fight or something.

Also for what it's worth, proper MT has a good bit of grappling which may or may not overlap with your BJJ and TMA stuff. It could compliment the MT, or perhaps you feel like you've already got a handle on clinchy-sweepy-stuff.

so..hello everybody.
well...im training BJJ, im a white belt. I do lift weights, the big 3 and assessorie stuff.

well, i come from a krav maga background. I have learned a bit about using fists elbows and few kicks.

i think the muay thay teacher will put me to squat with body weight togheter with out of shape dudes and recreational ladys who want to "fight".

errr...
what do i do?

i would suggest doing both boxing and MT

It's more complicated for obvious reasons.

Honestly I'd just train what you find more fun, unless you're preparing for a fight or something.

Also for what it's worth, proper MT has a good bit of grappling which may or may not overlap with your BJJ and TMA stuff. It could compliment the MT, or perhaps you feel like you've already got a handle on clinchy-sweepy-stuff.

your so right.

i dont do bjj but im friends with a few black belts. I rolled for about a month before i left a friends gym due to work. He was teaching me bjj, and it really reminded me of clinching, just on the ground. Most people may not make that relation though unless they already have a solid understanding of the clinch because most think the clinch is just hanging on the head, when in reality its very complex and you use your legs etc as well.

What's your goal? If its MT, well obviously go to MT. If its MMA, and you're guaranteed an MMA fight immediately (not having to go through getting competition exp. in striking), then boxing to MT (3:2). In there you can get away with crappy MT if your boxing is sweet, and if the area you're competing in happens to have similar skill levels in either disciplines.

If you're looking to get into MMA, do Muay Thai. Try to get out of the white collar fit thai boxing. Do the hard work.

If you're not going into MMA and just want to try a standup art for fun, do Boxing.

What's your goal?

my goal is to be able to throw good punches, learn to create angles to attack and swing like tyson. My main focus is self-defense. I want to spar so can get used to eat punches, know how it feels. I want to be above average in boxing skills. But when i think MT uses elbows ans low kicks then i think of it as superior. You know, its more than throwing punches.

I dont know, i have the feeling i cannot really choose because as i mentioned the place i have access to train is kind of a "burning calories-recreative" way of teaching. Its a good gym, solid and strong bjj, some UFC fighters train bjj there. Sometimes MMA fighters do spar in boxing or MT also but obviously i would not be in pair with them.

I dont need to do bodyweight squats as i already do strenght training so the focus should be technique i think. And specific conditioning drills too...and also specially sparring. I do not want to spar with some girl who just wants to lose weight and is afraid of "hurting me". You know....

i guess i should talk to the boxing and MT teacher/instructor

so..hello everybody.

errr...
what do i do?
ultimately it depends on which specific gym for muay thai and boxing you are looking at, you should be sparring as often as possible and there should not be a bazzillion different instructors. one good instructor is better then 5 okay ones. style wise, i would go for boxing because it has arguably the best footwork of any combat sport, and if you look at where mma is evolving these days many of the best fighters have fantastic footwork. you can pick up a kick easier then footwork imo. good luck.

EDIT:another point for boxing that i just thought of is that it has head movement. do you see the average muay thai fight move there head at all?

my goal is to be able to throw good punches, learn to create angles to attack and swing like tyson. My main focus is self-defense. I want to spar so can get used to eat punches, know how it feels. I want to be above average in boxing skills. But when i think MT uses elbows ans low kicks then i think of it as superior. You know, its more than throwing punches.

I dont know, i have the feeling i cannot really choose because as i mentioned the place i have access to train is kind of a "burning calories-recreative" way of teaching. Its a good gym, solid and strong bjj, some UFC fighters train bjj there. Sometimes MMA fighters do spar in boxing or MT also but obviously i would not be in pair with them.

I dont need to do bodyweight squats as i already do strenght training so the focus should be technique i think. And specific conditioning drills too...and also specially sparring. I do not want to spar with some girl who just wants to lose weight and is afraid of "hurting me". You know....

i guess i should talk to the boxing and MT teacher/instructor
As someone with a MT background slowly incorporating more boxing, yes its nice to have more weapons, but ultimately it depends on what you "feel" more natural with. Personally, I'm not a kicker, I do have strong kicks, but its always felt very very unnatural to me, and balance has been a compromising issue. Punching and parrying on the other hand is very intuitive for me. Elbows work against me complexly as I tend to use my range ALOT with punching, elbow being extremely close ranged was really weird when I first stared.

So if you're like me, and you tend to try to maximize your punches normally, elbows will feel veeerrry odd.

At the end of the day striking is striking regardless of style, you'll know the "game" as you get better as a fighter/martial artist. Timing, range, "loading", etc. are all mutually exclusive.

from what you said, it looks like you gravitate to boxing more based on what you like. You'll have to see, if in sparring you tend to stay in middle range alot and fight there, then boxing its your fit, if you clinch up often or end up fighting "long" then maybe MT is more of your poison.

Shame on you...
this has been bugging me... you are a kicking purist that shits on punching.
but your AV or higashi is clearly a punching fan, his supper moves or punch heavy and his ultimate move is a whirlwind thrown off a uppercut...frankly you should stay true to your online persona and just pick kim khapwhan.

Honestly, I had no idea who he was, I just thought his stance looked cool. Now it's too late, I'm committed to my avatar, I wont betray it... like some people easily do by betraying their roots, learning boxing while having a MT background.
Shame... Shame... on all of us... May the god of MT have mercy on our poor lost souls.

Shame on you...
0-world-burn.jpeg

Honestly, I had no idea who he was, I just thought his stance looked cool. Now it's too late, I'm committed to my avatar, I wont betray it... like some people easily do by betraying their roots, learning boxing while having a MT background.
Shame... Shame... on all of us... May the god of MT have mercy on our poor lost souls.
02a43b528bd2342dac50e26651d8b28072ebae09_00.gif

haha i change my avatar on the time

That's obviously an upward elbow strike, it's just that his technique is lacking a bit...
If it was an elbow strike it'd be open hand, but he's clenchin' his fist for impact

Both are great martial arts, but I would personally go with boxing if you can only dedicate time to one.

There's no replacing the reliability and efficiency a clinched fist. Even novice boxers can throw dozens of punches in short time.

In MMA boxing will come in useful for your overall striking also when you're to fatigued to kick or clinch you'll still be able to work some hands.

and may the God of uppercuts also have mercy

Back