Defense against STomps

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
What would be the realistic self-defense against stomps?

I have seen videos where a fight or attack has occured, and the victim is on the ground and no one is stopping the assailant and he gets kicked and punched on.

What would be the defense against the stomps in that situation when you are on your back? And imagine a scenario where you are hurt, so you are not really fully able to defend yourself, and etc.

And imagine a scenario where you are hurt, so you are not really fully able to defend yourself, and etc.

If you're so hurt you can't defend yourself you're pretty much fucked. If you're not so incapacitated that you can actually use jiu jitsu than just about any of the open guard sweeps in your arsenal would work fine. Something as simple as a dummy sweep will take down an untrained assailant.

If you're so hurt you can't defend yourself you're pretty much fucked. If you're not so incapacitated that you can actually use jiu jitsu than just about any of the open guard sweeps in your arsenal would work fine. Something as simple as a dummy sweep will take down an untrained assailant.

well I don't know, there must be a way, cuz i see some situations where a guy is hurt, maybe not like way incapaciated, but not fight back, but maybe somehow reduce the damage, but I don't know if dummy sweep would be easy to do it in that situation, I don't know

you never see dummy sweep in MMA for one. so

Oh, so I'm incapacitated and fighting a trained MMA fighter? I guess I'm screwed then.

no i mean, partially, but someone who is swining at you, not a fighter, but at this day and age, if someone's d bag enough to punch at someone when they are down on the ground, you'd imagine there's a good chance that they've done some training before, one place or another.

But "just standing up" only covers scenarios where you are on a hard surface. That defense would be useless if you were stuck in the mud, sorry doesn't pass the Helio filter.

Last edited:
My best adult response while tipsy:

Ironically as much as it's shit on for being dsngerous in self defense situations,modern stuff is good.

Have fun stomping a DDS guy. Not Ryan or Tonnon, just Joe Schmo from their gym who understands how to manipulate a leg.

Also, inversion would be a good thing in this case. If you're used to that position thr confusion is gone. You cab use your legs almost like arms and protect your face.

Also, a natural place to end up if someone is trying to stomp you is x guard or SLX. And from there you may swing around the other way annf wind up in DLR or RDLR.

People shit on these positions but it's dumb not to have at least two moves from every position.

Sorry the guy attacking you is also now a former d1 wrestler.

I believe you shouldn't underestimate Aikido. Now I know you may be thinking, "Why take a weakling martial art like Aikido seriously when I am learning Kendo?" I can see why you would think that, how can a peaceful martial arts like Aikido beat a powerful one like Kendo?

Well, I have a story to share with you.

Years ago, I was a Kendoka, I thought I was the toughest kid in high school, I would pick fights, and kick ass. I was full of hate, until I picked a fight with the wrong dude. He was a Japanese exchange student, I still remember his name, Noboru Takeda.

I picked on him because of his hilarious and thick Japanese accent. I told him I was going to beat him so hard, he would go back to China, he never said anything back, made me wanted to kick his ass even harder.

Well, here comes the fight. I threw men and do strikes, he dodged them like I was a mere white belt. I was tiring out and he knew, I saw the smirk on his face that made me raged hard. I put all my strength in one amazing tsuki, and he grabbed past it to my wrist and threw me over. My back smacked on the hard cement ground, and I was knocked out for who knows how long.

When I woke up I was in the school infirmary, I asked the nurse who brought me here, and you guessed it, Noboru Takeda. The next day, he wasn't at school, he was back in Japan, and I never got to thank him, for saving my life and showing me the light. I soon learned that he was an Aikidoka and have been practicing Aikido ever since to show my thanks to him.

Aikido is incredible. I just can't words how strong it is. It basically works by absorbing the entire force of an object and redirecting it. It would be, for example, be possible to crush an elephant with it's own weight when it steps on you, or deflecting a rocket. I did some research and found out it was invented by an ancient japanese physics professor and utilizes the laws of nature and philosophy to bring down it's opponents. If it wouldn't be for the defensive mentality of Aikido practioners, I am sure they would rule over Japan by now.

I practiced Aikido for several years. My dojo was across from a Karate dojo, who would often give us rude remarks, such as Aikido being for weaklings.

Well, one of them challenged me, he was a gaijin male in his 20's. I accepted of course, as I never back down from a challenge.

He had really good form, but his Karate was no match for my Aikido. He delivered a great kick but it was nothing for me, I easily grabbed it and knocked him down. This went on for about 10 minutes until he got too tired.

He got frustrated and left, he was about to cross the street but I stopped him from getting hit by a speeding bus. He didn't say thanks but it still felt good to save someone.

Just the other day in fact i decided to take a stroll in the park in my Aikido suit as I like to call it, the weather was great. I found myself a great spot for doing Aikido techniques, as I train, a beautiful woman came up to me and tapped my shoulder. I was so immersed in training that I mistaken her as a threat and grabbed her arm, tossing her to the ground. I quickly realized my mistake and apologized, she accepted the sincere apology of mine.

Afterwards she asked me what I was doing, I explained to her that I was practicing the ancient and mighty Japanese art of Aikido, she gave me her phone number, wanting to discuss more of Aikido.

An obvious excuse to meetup once again to have sex because I already told her everything about Aikido.

Last edited:
no i mean, partially, but someone who is swining at you, not a fighter, but at this day and age, if someone's d bag enough to punch at someone when they are down on the ground, you'd imagine there's a good chance that they've done some training before, one place or another.

What world do you live in? LOL. It's common for untrained guys to punch a downed opponent. That doesn't make them a D bag. That's just regular fighting. LMAO.

watch how the chutebox fighters defended in pride (when they weren't doing the stomping).

watch how the chutebox fighters defended in pride (when they weren't doing the stomping).
There were distances, of course. Standing up was the top priority if you couldn't get a hold of them from bottom. The ol kick > stand up in base trick.

If you couldn't stand, it was a nogi de la riva guard, grasping the heel. Chutebox guys believed in it. Mario Sperry believed in it. I'm inclined to believe in it.

There were distances, of course. Standing up was the top priority if you couldn't get a hold of them from bottom. The ol kick > stand up in base trick.

If you couldn't stand, it was a nogi de la riva guard, grasping the heel. Chutebox guys believed in it. Mario Sperry believed in it. I'm inclined to believe in it.
they certainly understood stomps more than most, they trained stomps and stomp defence and seemed to be one of the few teams i have ever seen that affectively employed them as a strategy.

Back