Defensive, counter bjj (gi) artist to study?

MMouse

Now you enter...the shredder
Banned
Reaction score
I realize after getting gold in my first 3 tournaments as a white belt, my game revolves around top game pressure, being defensive, countering.

I was wondering if there are any competitors, artist I can study that revolves being on top and all around defensive/counter ect.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I suggest you to do the opposite and work on your weaknesses because you will not be white belt forever.

Bubblun speaks the truth. Setting aside the fact that as a white belt you need to widen your horizons as you do not yet know your own grappling (though it may feel like it), building a gameplan relying on the other guy to mess up his favored and much-drilled offense will severely stump your growth and success later. At higher levels you need to force the other guy to mess up with your own offense.

Don’t go down the path of Schaubing. Therein lies only darkness.

Don't close yourself off to options because you think you've already got a game. That will naturally establish itself over the next few years of experimentation. At this level, be a sponge. Watch everybody. Try new things with reckless abandon. Much of it will stick, much of it won't, but at this level your focus should be exposure to new techniques and ideas without so much pressure attached to it. Have fun.

The best competitors are all highly aggressive, especially the top players. Countering sounds good on paper, but allowing your opponent to attack first just doesn't generally play out in BJJ from a game theory perspective. This is a sport where there's a big first mover advantage due to the incremental nature of the positions and technical progression.

I realize after getting gold in my first 3 tournaments as a white belt, my game revolves around top game, being defensive, countering, escapes.

I was wondering if there are any competitors, artist I can study that revolves being on top and all around defensive/counter ect.

Thanks in advance
Sounds good. Just ignore the rest of jiu jitsu and concentrate only on what works. I see that helping you develop into a well rounded player.

<36>

Sounds good. Just ignore the rest of jiu jitsu and concentrate only on what works. I see that helping you develop into a well rounded player.

<36>

Who says i was never working on being well rounded?

During rolling sessions. I always start and stay on my back.

Javier Vasquez is who first pops in my head for a defensive counter game.

Per the description of staying on top and being all around defensive, Kerr and Orlando Sanchez. Since that description is also synonymous with stalling on points, you could toss Monson in there. (Although he typically stayed in half guard and played defensive rather than being on top)

Just ignore the rest of jiu jitsu and concentrate only on what works. I see that helping you develop into a well rounded player.

Getting decent at one thing is a good start to building towards being well rounded. Zero use for being equally skilled at everything if you are still crap at everything.

I

Why play a counter game when if you get decent at anything you will destroy blue/white belts with it?
You need a ton of experience and a varied defense to be able to counter the wild variety of attacks that you will encounter as you progress (at blue people should be able to attack you with a lot of stuff if you let them).
You don't want to let them put you in some weird position.

Everyone read OP way differently than I did. Nothing wrong with wanting to be a pressure heavy top player that is hard to sweep and submit, you can wreck some tournaments with that strategy and a good gas tank.

Everyone read OP way differently than I did. Nothing wrong with wanting to be a pressure heavy top player that is hard to sweep and submit, you can wreck some tournaments with that strategy and a good gas tank.

This is what ive been trying to say

You don't want to let them put you in some weird position.

Plus this. Even if it means being good at prevention.

This is what ive been trying to say

People will bitch about how boring a strategy it is, but then idolize guys like Roger who are able to follow that strategy and add a world class x choke. Overall, I'd say someone with a conservative and heavy top game might be the most frustrating roll you can get (in a good way for comp).

People will bitch about how boring a strategy it is, but then idolize guys like Roger who are able to follow that strategy and add a world class x choke. Overall, I'd say someone with a conservative and heavy top game might be the most frustrating roll you can get (in a good way for comp).

In my opinion when it comes to sports, the boring players are usually the most stragetic competitors.

Guys like gsp, askren, mayweather ect.

When you say roger, are you reffering to roger gracie? Who else is their to study with a conservative heavy top game?

Kerr and Sanchez from my original post, if you're a wrestler I'd add DJ into that.

To go with that strategy you need to get great at takedowns and then develop the ability to sweep or stand from the bottom.

I suggest you to do the opposite and work on your weaknesses because you will not be white belt forever.

I still sometimes enter white belt tournaments for fun.

Just fucking roll...

Don't overthink shit, you'll get to a level where you have to adapt or die, and you will either adapt...or die. I can promise you adapting is painful, and damaging to the ego, but you will have less frustration being you than trying to be someone else.

Personal example, I loot robbed and pillaged my way through the Judo novice division, I knew i had holes in my game and I tried to plug them. Once I got to the Advanced division I went a full calendar year without a win.

I didn't change my style just made the bad parts of my game better in my way.

Then started winning matches and medals again.

Just fucking roll...

Don't overthink shit, you'll get to a level where you have to adapt or die, and you will either adapt...or die. I can promise you adapting is painful, and damaging to the ego, but you will have less frustration being you than trying to be someone else.

You can choose how you roll, the whole idea that you should play a game you randomly drifted towards was made up by stupid old school brazillians.

Back