Dela Hoya to continue Golden Boy MMA

It’s so frustrating seeing someone who has the connections and money to make this a success fail so miserably. I understand using old stars to help your brand, but build a fucking brand instead of relying solely on old stars!

It’s so frustrating seeing someone who has the connections and money to make this a success fail so miserably. I understand using old stars to help your brand, but build a fucking brand instead of relying solely on old stars!

I actually think it's not a bad strategy what they did for the 1st event. They can't possibly expect 10 million viewers to tune in live (maybe 10+ million watched through replay/illegal stream). If GBP is in it for the long term, this is not a bad coming out party. GBP will be profiting consistently thanks to Canelo's DAZN deal, where they can also build up their rising talent like Hyan Garcia. Losing money from building up GBP MMA will only mean tax cuts for them.

1. Sign fighters who are free agents.
2. Just give them a one-fight contract.
3. Renegotiate after every fight.

Why are there so many Sherdoggers threatened by another company? Competition is good. Not that they’re anywhere close to being competition.

Well ...
Here is the thing
Bellator, Rizin & ONE are all losing money
To spread out even further to another company (losing) is not healthy for MMA.

I rather root for those three to solidify instead of spreading the money, talent & interest further.
Particularly for a guy that doesn't seem to be an MMA guy.

They did it because Strike force was for sale.
It was not some hostile take over, the owners put it out for sale and the UFC bought it.

Yep
When SF started losing money (Fedor & the HW tourney) they put it up for sale & UFC paid the most & bought it.

Well ...
Here is the thing
Bellator, Rizin & ONE are all losing money
To spread out even further to another company (losing) is not healthy for MMA.

I rather root for those three to solidify instead of spreading the money, talent & interest further.
Particularly for a guy that doesn't seem to be an MMA guy.

Guys like Zach Cummings and the guy he beat and numerous other fighters do NOT belong in the UFC.

Bellator I can agree with but One and Rizin are tough to watch.

Guys like Zach Cummings and the guy he beat and numerous other fighters do NOT belong in the UFC.

Bellator I can agree with but One and Rizin are tough to watch.

That is my point
The talent is spread out enough as is
No need for another company that isn't even run by an MMA guy.

The other 3 are looking to build a brand
Oscar looked to make a fast buck off of Chuck & Tito's name & failed.

So a lot of real MMA fans rather the 3 other companies get healthier than spread it thinner

You guys sound like real entrepreneurs.

How would Golden Boy compete with the UFC in MMA after 1 single event? UFC used to be an absolute shit show with Dana as a promoter, who didn't have any teeth and could barely string a sentence together infront of a camera at the time and look at it now, you have to start somewhere.

this. MMA lacks "stars" though and if they are stars, its because the UFC has made them one. So its going to be hard for De La Hoya to find a "star" and make a successful PPV out of it. Moving forward being on DaZn is probably best for them, I'm not sure how they'll ever be able to pay the fighters "more" though doing that. At least with PPV, if a guy was a star and could sell 500k PPVs on his own without the UFC, then he'd be better off with De La Hoya and GB MMA because he would make more in 1 fight than he would in a lifetime in the UFC (assuming you get some deal like Chuck n Tito where you get 30% of PPV revenue etc)

I don't see where Golden Boy is going to get their talent pool from

UFC castoffs generally go to Bellator

That leaves fighters even Bellator doesn't want like Chuck and Tito and you see how that went

Back