News Demetrious Johnson bow and arrow chokes 6’3” 250 lbs Brown Belt Sherdogger at IBJJF Championships

DJ is one of those guys that should've been promoted to a blackbelt several years ago

more common the other way tho, people getting blackbelts way too quickly
Honestly this is a case where when he does get his black belt, nobody can say he didn't earn it. So many guys and especially MMA guys pretend they have BJJ skills beyond what they really do and get some McDojo to give them a black belt.

DJ is a black belt level guy and has beaten black belts but stays humble enough to keep working his crafts.

Nothing but respect to DJ. One of the GOATs and an example of what a champion should be

It’s a random guy. Belts mean very little in the majority of schools. The video shows an example of that.
Lol he literally won pans, American nationals, and medaled at no gi worlds. Man competes and wins at major comps regularly. More than what you and most on here would ever be capable of

Lol he literally won pans, American nationals, and medaled at no gi worlds. Man competes and wins at major comps regularly. More than what you and most on here would ever be capable of
You have to remember that a lot of posters have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

I love Fedor and he's my GOAT, but DJ is right behind him, above Bones.

I like to see MM grapple with Shaw. Shaw is big as hell but he doesn’t understand the sport yet. People are handling him with kid gloves during training.

There are positions where he would be extremely dominant but he can’t get to that position. I think he would gas just moving around without the fight hitting the ground.

The closest we've ever seen to that is Emmanuel Yarborough vs Daiju Takase, where there was over a 400 lb weight difference.

Of course Shaw is more athletic than Yarborough (while being 200 lbs lighter) while DJ is smaller but faster and better than Takase.

I think that DJ could win; Shaw is not athletic or flexible enough to get a hold on DJ. His only hope is to smother DJ but even then I see DJ being able to squirm his way out of bad positions based on speed and skill. I highly doubt Shaw would be able to get to a real position like mount, and I see him gassing out and losing a decision or something.

It’s a random guy. Belts mean very little in the majority of schools. The video shows an example of that.

No a brown belt is someone that have dedicated at least 5 years in BJJ. The fake schools narrative is overblown BJJ is one of the few martial arts where belts still mean something

No a brown belt is someone that have dedicated at least 5 years in BJJ. The fake schools narrative is overblown BJJ is one of the few martial arts where belts still mean something
McDojos don't last long in bjj

McDojos don't last long in bjj
There's tons of McDojos around me. Local places that used to teach Karate or whatever and now suddenly by magic they offer BJJ classes and belts. Just don't ask for the lineage of the instructor's black belt because he just bought it online and learned BJJ from YouTube videos.

There's tons of McDojos around me. Local places that used to teach Karate or whatever and now suddenly by magic they offer BJJ classes and belts. Just don't ask for the lineage of the instructor's black belt because he just bought it online and learned BJJ from YouTube videos.
That's depressing but hilarious. Makes you wonder how fast all of this would crumble if a decent blue belt walked in and just demolished the "professor"

That's depressing but hilarious. Makes you wonder how fast all of this would crumble if a decent blue belt walked in and just demolished the "professor"
I had a friend who went to a McDojo for years. I tried to warn him repeatedly because everything I heard about the place was a red flag.

He kept entering tournaments and lost every bout. He was supposed to be a blue belt but kept getting embarrassed. None of the others from his gym did any better.

Took him years to stop going, and he's still not convinced it was a McDojo - but again, there was no info on the lineage of the instructor's black belt. When he asked, he was simply told "I learned from Brazilians" by the instructor.

Now a bunch of those Tiger Schulmann karate places are advertising MMA and BJJ lessons, and every little town seems to have a local "Action MMA" or "<City name> BJJ" - there's 4 of them on a 2 mile stretch of a single road.

Maybe some of these places are legit. Maybe some of the instructors are actually legit black belts and learned from a Gracie academy or something.

Maybe.

But all of them? Nah. No way.

DJ is one of those guys that should've been promoted to a blackbelt several years ago

more common the other way tho, people getting blackbelts way too quickly
I would wager that most of these guys that he's beaten in recent tournaments were either white belts or hadn't even begun training BJJ when he won the UFC belt.

Textbook sandbagging, these people on the master divisions that have 15 plus years grappling experience are all competing at Black belt.

Guy Mezger did the same thing a few years back, was competing at Brown and of course absolutely destroying everybody

I saw it. They start the grappling with Shaw on top already in side control. I am just saying he doesn't quite have the ability to takedown someone like MM. He isn't coordinated and his cardio isn't great. Everyone is slow vs MM. You have to watch his MMA training videos to have an idea how Shaw moves. He doesn't have the speed to grab a leg or a body. His takedown choices will be like pushing or trying to snap someone down with their body weight. I have no doubt he can potentially shove MM and MM goes flying but Shaw is too slow to follow him to the ground. I think they will play this cat and mouse game until the bigger man gets tired. I am not saying MM is going to take down Shaw and sub him easily. It's just in the battle of attrition; MM has a huge advantage being the one who is being chased.

Honestly untrained Shaw has a better chance against another big guy vs MM. He can at least try to grab the legs or body. Those ultra big guys can't get low enough to get a leg/body. They can wrap their arms over someone and just sprawl/pancake someone.
if they engage, pretty sure shaw does what he wants with him. don't think you comprehend the difference between MM and a 6'8 440 pound guy who can literally one arm hold him. If MM attacks, its over for him lol.

I had a friend who went to a McDojo for years. I tried to warn him repeatedly because everything I heard about the place was a red flag.

He kept entering tournaments and lost every bout. He was supposed to be a blue belt but kept getting embarrassed. None of the others from his gym did any better.

Took him years to stop going, and he's still not convinced it was a McDojo - but again, there was no info on the lineage of the instructor's black belt. When he asked, he was simply told "I learned from Brazilians" by the instructor.

Now a bunch of those Tiger Schulmann karate places are advertising MMA and BJJ lessons, and every little town seems to have a local "Action MMA" or "<City name> BJJ" - there's 4 of them on a 2 mile stretch of a single road.

Maybe some of these places are legit. Maybe some of the instructors are actually legit black belts and learned from a Gracie academy or something.

Maybe.

But all of them? Nah. No way.
For sure. I think the smaller the town the more likely it is that mcdojos can last. I've seen one pop up and quickly die just because there are a lot of legit academies in this area that snuffed it out.

I always feel bad for folks who fall victim to the scams.

I honestly don't know how this 248 pound lard ass couldn't get out of a single leg by a midget, albeit probably the most skilled fighter the UFC has ever seen. So maybe that's just the point.

Still. Somebody please explain to me why he didn't try to sprawl or push down mighty mouse's head. instead he just lept around on one leg like a dumb ass.

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 10.09.45 PM.png

Back