Demetrious Johnson: "I Will Retire in ONE Championship"

Good fighter, wish nothing for the best for him. Hope he makes enough that he never has to worry about money when he retires. Never been a fan. Never got excited for a single fight of his. Couldn't care less if 125 disappeared tomorrow. I have zero interest in the fighters, personally.

No, his fighting style is exciting. He's got a great finishing rate in his title defenses. People are bored by him because he is small. It all boils down to his size.

I don't know, I've never been excited to watch his fights but I can get behind a Horiguchi. He just puts me to sleep. The best I can compare it to is when you watch pro wrestling, if you watch two guys who are flawless you lose interest because it's so flawless it's boring. There is no struggle. With DJ he's just so smooth its a problem, he's a good fighter. He doesn't have anything about him that stands out. It's just all solid, smooth, and boring.

I don't know, I've never been excited to watch his fights but I can get behind a Horiguchi. He just puts me to sleep. The best I can compare it to is when you watch pro wrestling, if you watch two guys who are flawless you lose interest because it's so flawless it's boring. There is no struggle. With DJ he's just so smooth its a problem, he's a good fighter. He doesn't have anything about him that stands out. It's just all solid, smooth, and boring.
Fair enough. I do like teh Guch.

I imagine Xbox is not as popular in Asia as PS4/Nintendo either. Gonna be a hard sell for Mighty Mouse.

giphy.gif

Wow. You just gave me a notion...

His sponsorship deals are going to be INSANE.

<Aug3>

DJ's last fight was $380k flat. I guess that would go down not being the champ, but still how does ONE afford to pay him even that?

Refuses to move up in weight in the UFC, but as soon he moves to a organization full of cans..

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Hint: OneFC weightcutting/hydration rules

Good for him.

Sounds like he will finally be making some good paydays, which he deserves.

He gets endlessly shit on here, but dude is a beast and a genuinely nice guy.

Agree wholeheartedly. Have been curious through all the reporting of this event, to hear how DJ himself feels about the whole trade thing...It sounds like - based on the one article I read - that the One Championship FLW division is very shallow, which I found surprising as I had assumed an Asain promotion would be stacked with more small guys than an American one. We'll see. Hope he is psyched and gets paid.

DJ's last fight was $380k flat. I guess that would go down not being the champ, but still how does ONE afford to pay him even that?
Alvarez has a crazy deal with them apparently. I'm sure DJ will be getting paid more in ONE.

He is, and he doesn't need any approval but if you're insinuating that he is still in goat talks, that's absurd.

I don't think barely losing, and most actually thought he won, a split decision, while fighting on an injured knee, should somehow eliminate you from being considered a goat...

I never liked him personally, but he seems like a good dude, and he is an amazing fighter, a legend in the small weight classes.

Sucks that his UFC career ended like this. He deserved better treatment.

Now his 100k PPVs won't be so pathetic
ONE has PPV? I was watching Eddie on Ariel saying that he got a great deal with them, and that ONE pulls 25million views or something like that there, so im not sure if they even have a PPV model, but with those ratings, money has to be made, also he mentioned signing a 8-figure contract with them, but didnt stated the time or fights contracted.

Settle down MM supporters, you can search my post history and see that even recently I had him at number 5 on my goat list but now he won't have the quality of competition to remain there. I was one of the reasonable people that didn't exclude him automatically from goat talks for being a Manlet. The majority of people discussing the goat list don't even include him here on sherdog.

So those of you that consider him for goat, that's cool and all but know that you are the silent minority.

Quality of competition. Who is there left in the UFC that he hasn’t already beaten?

So he’s boring to you because he’s too damn good? What?

Quality of competition. Who is there left in the UFC that he hasn’t already beaten?

So he’s boring to you because he’s too damn good? What?
I would have loved to see him vs TJ and Dom despite a small weight difference, those fights definitely could have been out together and intrigued me.

I honestly hope it's not an exclusive deal. I want to see him get titles in RIZIN and Bellator like he suggested,

One of the best fighters ever fighting in a very shallow division. When TJ fight was in the horizon I got excited because I considered him to be a real challenge for DJ and we all know how that ended. I wish I'm all the best but I won't be tuning in to see him fight.

Back