Demetrius Andrade arrested after allegedly carrying unlicensed gun

PHATV

Boss Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread, this could be problematic for him. Some states are very unforgiving. Not sure about RI.
http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...de-arrested-allegedly-carrying-unlicensed-gun

Newly crowned middleweight world titleholder Demetrius Andrade was arrested early Thursday and charged with carrying an unlicensed gun in his hometown of Providence, Rhode Island.

Andrade told police officers that he carried the Glock 19 pistol because of his fame and wealth, according to The Providence Journal. However, the newspaper also reported that police said Andrade did not have a permit to carry weapon, which was discovered when two officers found Andrade stopped in his Mercedes, blocking traffic while talking to a friend in another car at approximately 2:30 a.m.

An Andrade spokesman told ESPN that the fighter, who lives in New Hampshire, has a license to carry the gun in that state and was visiting his hometown and forgot he had the weapon in his backpack.

"There's no excuse for carrying a gun without a permit," Providence Police detective Maj. David Lapatin told the newspaper. "Whether you claim you're transporting large amounts of money, or your life is in danger, you can make your case to get a permit (to carry a concealed weapon). But you cannot obtain a gun and carry it in the city of Providence without one."

Andrade was charged with one felony count of possession of a firearm without a license and released on bail.

Andrade (26-0, 16 KOs), 30, a former two-time junior middleweight world titlist, won a vacant middleweight world title when he dominated Walter Kautondokwa in a one-sided unanimous decision on Oct. 20 at TD Garden in Boston.

Andrade, a southpaw, injured his left shoulder in the fight and is considering whether to have surgery or to return for a title defense on a card promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Boxing is putting together for Jan. 18 at the Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York as part of his deal with streaming service DAZN. Heavyweight contender Jarrell "Big Baby" Miller (23-0-1, 20 KOs), who is from New York, is also being lined up to fight on that card.

He has a license in his own state.
Seems like they should just give him a warning, honest mistake.

Felony.. wow .. dude has a permit in his home state.

I’m so glad the court has shifted maybe a some of the crazy a.. state laws can be challenged at some point. Look what the left has done to the second amendment.

ok so it's not as bad as it sounds, but damn america, you people just forget that you're carrying a fucking handgun in your backpack?

It depends upon the state he got popped in. I don't know RI law. But if you're licensed in OH to carry and get caught with it in NJ or NY or Chicago for example, you're likely going to jail. Your home state CCW permit is not recognized, means nothing, is no defense and is given no weight in the matter.

He has a license in his own state.
Seems like they should just give him a warning, honest mistake.

Seems like, but does not work that way. At all.

RI is more left leaning so im assuming he wont get off the hook easy

Seems like, but does not work that way. At all.
good to know, i've been thinking of getting a gun but I also thought about just using pepper spray which works on 90 percent of everyone. lot of lives would be saved and a lot of guys would avoid jail time just using something like pepper spray. Never understood the logic of felons having guns on them, just as stupid as the day is long but they do it.

good to know, i've been thinking of getting a gun but I also thought about just using pepper spray which works on 90 percent of everyone. lot of lives would be saved and a lot of guys would avoid jail time just using something like pepper spray. Never understood the logic of felons having guns on them, just as stupid as the day is long but they do it.

Depends on your state, brother. And following the rules of others if you're there or passing through. I can pretty much head anywhere south via car or motorcycle and I'm good to go. All the way to the Florida Keys. And aside from Chicago, I have some latitude North, East, or West as well.

Depends on your state, brother. And following the rules of others if you're there or passing through. I can pretty much head anywhere south via car or motorcycle and I'm good to go. All the way to the Florida Keys. And aside from Chicago, I have some latitude North, East, or West as well.
I never thought of getting a gun, i always assumed that i could handle just about anyone but my city is getting crazy and having just your hands won't do you much good against a knife, gun or a group. Things have changed, even the young today feel like they have to scowl and intimidate because of that shit hop they listen to, seattle has a huge homeless problem now and lots of these populations hang together like little tribes. Couple weeks ago some altercation broke out with some musician leaving a club screaming at homeless people telling them to get jobs, he shouldn't have done that because they came after his ass and damn near killed him with a baseball bat. The city is a shithole.

Alot of flaws and variables with pepper spray

Or perhaps just not want/need to shoot someone at any point in your life?

Its something that is lost on Americans, but why the fuck would you need to carry a gun if nobody else was allowed to carry one?

You do know that 80% of the rest of the world does not allow that, and people with lots of money and nice things dont get shot at?
ya, i never liked guns, never even liked holding one. thought guys that had them were insecure but would you ever want to be in a situation where some guy has one and you don't? I don't know, i'm ambivalent and ya, there are too many guns out here many in the wrong hands. For whatever reason, i've known some felons who seem like they cannot live without one and just as foolish, i've known mexican workers who have one I try to tell them it's more trouble than it's worth but they won't listen. The cops love to find that kind of shit and throw you in the pokie.

Alot of flaws and variables with pepper spray
I know, i've been maced when I was doing security by one of my own guys, but.., it worked just about all the time, the guy he was trying to mace collapsed but I still was able to put him in a choke and cuff him. Most people just fall to the ground, why? I don't know, it wouldn't have stopped me so I wonder if mentality has something to do with it.

lol, this. when you make carrying a gun completely socially acceptable, people will carry guns. if anyone open carried in a bar around here, people would scatter and the cops would be there in minutes.

oddly enough, people don't get shot much around here.

It's more than socially acceptable when done legally (here in the US), it's the inalienable right of every free man (and woman).

sad to say gentlemen, i'm 50 and if there is one conclusion i've come to when it comes to the human race it is that it is not a peaceful one, we are violent as hell, with or without guns, with or without fists even, lot of people are violent just with the way they treat each other. I can't change any of it but I do like to be left the fuck alone. If I had more options, I wouldn't even be in an overpacked, frustrated, phoney city like this. I'm sure lots of people feel the same way, we're here because it's where we can make a living but there are always people that want to make that difficult.

I know, i've been maced when I was doing security by one of my own guys, but.., it worked just about all the time, the guy he was trying to mace collapsed but I still was able to put him in a choke and cuff him. Most people just fall to the ground, why? I don't know, it wouldn't have stopped me so I wonder if mentality has something to do with it.

I've been maced as well. Right in the face. It sucked, but that pepper spray is much worse, I hear. I have walked into an area where it (pepper spray) had been used earlier (indoors accidentally in a sporting goods store, but 20 minutes earlier or something stupid, maybe a bit less) and it was still airborne, hit me and...throat tickle and then coughing and eye-watering ensued. Stuff would be nasty, I'm thinking. If it hit you direct.

I've been maced as well. Right in the face. It sucked, but that pepper spray is much worse, I hear. I have walked into an area where it (pepper spray) had been used earlier (indoors accidentally in a sporting goods store, but 20 minutes earlier or something stupid, maybe a bit less) and it was still airborne, hit me and...throat tickle and then coughing and eye-watering ensued. Stuff would be nasty, I'm thinking. If it hit you direct.
ya, it is nasty, no question about it, and they used to say the effects only lasted a half an hour, that was bullshit. I still don't get the logic of the guy who used it,I had the guy,I was right there. in fact, he was so trigger happy with the shit that the business got sued and he had to stop using it. He left soon after because honestly, the place was a zoo and you pretty much had issues every night.

ya, it is nasty, no question about it, and they used to say the effects only lasted a half an hour, that was bullshit. I still don't get the logic of the guy who used it,I had the guy,I was right there. in fact, he was so trigger happy with the shit that the business got sued and he had to stop using it. He left soon after because honestly, the place was a zoo and you pretty much had issues every night.

I got it from a guy I just pulled guys off of. He was busted up and whipped it out and maced me trying to mace them. It was fucked up. lol

I got it from a guy I just pulled guys off of. He was busted up and whipped it out and maced me trying to mace them. It was fucked up. lol
it works though. most of these people who do a lot of dirt, if they were really strong people, they wouldn't be doing what they are doing. they sure love to talk shit though. The man who maced people, he was about 50 then, and not a fighter, i could see why he used the stuff and given where we worked, I know why but he got crazy with the shit. He maced a snobby lady, not a streetperson and got us sued for 50,000. But really, the stuff worked so well, I could see a lot of lives saved if people just had that. I don't think a lot of these situations are worth anyone killing anyone. Like the guy who called a buncha homeless people bums, he shouldn't have said it but he shouldn't be clinging to life for it either and like a lot of our most coddled citizens, they don't realize the potential violence right under their fucking noses and don't know what to do in the situation.

Amen to that, brother.
And lol @ macing a snobby lady, too. That's crazy, but funny as hell. Given it's non-lethal, I mean. Not that someone would or ever should just mace somebody but that beats even my situation for the sheer stupidity of it. I'm sure she still remembers the consequences of her actions that day. lol
Were you there for that one?

Back