Democracy Index by country (2017)

Right so its not the sport itself but the practices of how its managed and run. Human cockfighting has different connotations.

My wife is from Chiang Mai and half chinese with a higher education. She would never let our son start doing MT as a sport.

The higher class of Thailand look down upon people involved in boxing. It´s a class thing. For any western people training martial art as a lifestyle you must travel to Thailand and live there for a time to really understand it. They are really racist among themself.

Well, Chile has made huge leaps in the economic and social department since the days of Allende and Pinochet.

I think @Cuauhtemoc can tell you better, but i think Brazil is plagued by crony capitalism and burdensome bureacracy so i wouldnt say the most capitalist country, at least no more than Russia and other corruption plagued countries.

As to my english, it was simply necessity, i dont really speak english really well, i just read and write it well because of videogames, internet and college.
It depends on what you consider capitalism. If by capitalism you mean having rich people, yeah. If you mean free market competition, no. Brazil is a hard place to do business. The labor laws are very strict, very hard to fire somebody, similar to France. It's hard to open a business. Most rich people have government connections that they use to gain contracts and make money, like building a road, for example.
Taxes are not specially high but are complex and you most likely need a team of accountants to not screw up.
Large companies are still owned by the government, like Petrobras(oil and gas), Banco do Brasil (banking) and Embraer(airplanes).
It has been getting better, slowly. You can now open a small business using the internet, labor laws are a bit less restrictive nowadays and tariffs a bit lower.

Uruguay, Argentina, Chile and southern Brazil are basically a poor outpost of Europe. It has nothing to do with the typical latin american country.

Chile and Argentina had long and brutal military dictatorships so they're actually very similar to other Latin American countries. They would have ranked at the very bottom on these rankings just decades ago.

But of course, by "nothing to do with the typical Latin American country" you mean "much whiter and thus superior."

It tells something about the political leanings of the list, that Russia and China are basically rated the same. Obviously Russia is no Finland, but they do have a constitution of democratic country, which Putin hasn't messed with. They have elections, they have a multi-party system, they have opposition media (like Novaya Gazeta, Dozhd, Echo Moskvy) and the internet is open. Anyone can go to Western sites and some like BBC even have Russian language news. Whereas China is a one-party dictatorship, where people cannot even pretend to vote for the leader. There is no notable opposition media and the internet is walled off from the rest of the world.

Back