Democrats Block Veterans Affairs Funding From Friday’s Omnibus Bill

My dad died died Sunday after a 4 year year battle with cancer, my mother on Dec 28th ... I know of what I speak

I would love to go toe to toe but this isn't the thread for it

Sorry for your loss man.

I should add that I have dealt w/ the Loma Linda and Palm Desert VA Clinics here in SoCal, and I have zero complaints personally about the service/wait times/ratings, etc...

like many others do in other parts of the US.....

although it helps I literally teach VA benefits for a living haha, so they can't screw me really

My dad died died Sunday after a 4 year year battle with cancer, my mother on Dec 28th ... I know of what I speak

So all your experience with the Canadian healthcare system is people who died under it's care? Did your parents have money because my dad went to Seattle when he needed important procedures done because he didn't want to have to wait until after he was dead for treatment.

As a selfish person the last thing I want is for us to lose our ability to go to the States when we need life saving procedures.

So all your experience with the Canadian healthcare system is people who died under it's care? Did your parents have money because my dad went to Seattle when he needed important procedures done because he didn't want to have to wait until after he was dead for treatment.

As a selfish person the last thing I want is for us to lose our ability to go to the States when we need life saving procedures.
You just sound angry and I'll informed,

Ya everyone died , go fuck yourself

Last edited:
You just angry and I'll informed,

Ya everyone died , go fuck yourself

Anger is gone now. My dad passed 8 years ago.

My wife's kidney stuff is frustrating though. Several months' wait for basic procedures. It's an ongoing thing.

My wife's kidney stuff is frustrating though. Several months' wait for basic procedures. It's an ongoing thing.

What is a “basic” procedure when it comes to renal disease?

In the US, we also have to often wait for more specialized care or procedures.

No, the dems are just protecting our veterans from our ridiculously greedy and corrupt private healthcare system.

The first step to taking away a right is to privatize it.

Congressional Democrats have blocked — for now — controversial legislation that would offer military veterans more access to for-profit health care at taxpayer expense, a noteworthy setback to the Trump administration’s legislative agenda and for one of the president’s core constituencies.

It’s unclear what will become of the Caring for our Veterans Act, which on Monday appeared to be headed into the budget with a compromise plan supported by the White House and eight major veterans advocacy groups. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...egislative-priorities/?utm_term=.653bbc9ac878

I rely on the VA for health care, but I don't think this will effect me. I'm not disabled so I have a co-pay.

$8 a month if I need prescriptions
$10 a standard vist (labs, routine check ups, follow up appointments etc..)
$50 for a specialty vist (surgery, ER vist, etc...)

The only thing I'm worried about is if I can go to the civilian ER if I need to. seeing as the VA hospital is 80 miles away. The same goes for surgery too. I was able to have my ankle surgery at a civilian hospital too when I busted it a few years ago.

Congressional Democrats have blocked — for now — controversial legislation that would offer military veterans more access to for-profit health care at taxpayer expense, a noteworthy setback to the Trump administration’s legislative agenda and for one of the president’s core constituencies.

It’s unclear what will become of the Caring for our Veterans Act, which on Monday appeared to be headed into the budget with a compromise plan supported by the White House and eight major veterans advocacy groups. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...egislative-priorities/?utm_term=.653bbc9ac878

I rely on the VA for health care, but I don't think this will effect me. I'm not disabled so I have a co-pay.

$8 a month if I need prescriptions
$10 a standard vist (labs, routine check ups, follow up appointments etc..)
$50 for a specialty vist (surgery, ER vist, etc...)

The only thing I'm worried about is if I can go to the civilian ER if I need to. seeing as the VA hospital is 80 miles away. The same goes for surgery too. I was able to have my ankle surgery at a civilian hospital too when I busted it a few years ago.
You can use any ER if it is a true emergency that is billed with an emergency code and get in network billing.

The VA gets a bad rap, and it’s normally from those pushing a narrative.
This is patently false. My wife does contracting work supporting the VA, and she has nothing good to say about it. As an Army guy, I haven't used it, but literally every single one of my buddies that has gotten out has told me that the stories are not exaggerated. It is an awful, awful system.

No, the dems are just protecting our veterans from our ridiculously greedy and corrupt private healthcare system.

The first step to taking away a right is to privatize it.
No, we are being forced to use a shitty government program instead of getting better service from the outside.

The va sucks. I don’t know hardly anyone who’s a vet and uses them if they have options.

All of my experiences with the VA have been great. I've been using them for about 6 years now. I use the civilian ER when I need to and it only costs $50. My ankle surgery also done by a civilian Dr only cost me around $250 when it was all said and done and that included prescription, Er visit, a walking cast, and follow up appointments.

There is also a VA clinic inside my local medical center that I use for my annual check ups and family Doctor. They have always been great.
Go somewhere else for a couple years. You don’t know what you don’t know. You just don’t get a bill and don’t know better.
Translation: Sorry @Lionel Mandrake , but @cincymma79 's ideology>>> your actual experience.

How dare you think you were having a good experience with a government run program?

You should apologize for thinking that. It was the wrong thing to think.

(And this is usually when the guy spouting the hard right wing line of "privatize everything; the government turns everything it touches into ash" assures the rest of us that he is actual a "moderate centrist."

@cincymma79 , are you going to do the official honors?)

Last edited:
The fact that the idea of transferring some VA care to Private health care is even being considered, is a tacit admission that the private healthcare system is superior to one that's State-run.

How would either of you define "fixing" the private healthcare market in a way that isn't just more government control?

That entirely depends on what about the private system is superior. If the issue is wait times then you fix the VA by adding doctors. If the issue is quality of care then you either hire better doctors, train your doctors better or send the patients to the private sector. If it's an issue of cost then it's the wrong solution since the VA has better control over aspects of cost than the private sector and you're not changing the payer.

But at the end of the day, everyone agrees that the private system is problematic in terms of cost.

You can't "fix" private healthcare without government control. But since the government already heavily controls the private healthcare market, it's not "more" control, it's better applied control.

I'm sorry to hear that, bud.

it's primarily wait times, although the fact that most doctors are ancient, decrepit, crypt keeper looking retirees doesn't help either.

I've had 4 different x rays on my back/spine, w/ 4 different diagnoses that all contradict each other.....All from the VA. Good times

To be fair, you'd have the same issue in the private sector. And they get plenty of mid-career doctors in the VA. I won't speak to overall quality though. My dad went to the VA because he was at Walter Reed early in his career and always knew he would finish up his career there. Plus the private sector doesn't pay as well as it used to, given the headache that comes with it. His opinion is that the doctors are fine, they just need more of them and to update their infrastructure.

The fact that the idea of transferring some VA care to Private health care is even being considered, is a tacit admission that the private healthcare system is superior to one that's State-run.
Or it's an admission that someone sees an opportunity to funnel more tax payer dollars into corporate coffers.

Seriously, what a hilarious argument.

By your logic, anything "being considered as a solution" is a "tacit admission" that it is better than the problem at hand.

OK.

So I'd like to propose we get healthcare costs under control by going to a single payer model like the rest of the world.

US_spends_much_more_on_health_than_what_might_be_expected_1_blog_main_horizontal.jpg

By your "logic," my argument automatically prevails merely because I've proposed a solution.

Translation: Sorry @Lionel Mandrake , but @cincymma79 's ideology>>> your actual experience.

How dare you think you were having a good experience with a government run program?

You should apologize for thinking that. It was the wrong thing to think.

(And this is usually when the guy spouting the hard right wing line of "privatize everything; the government turns everything it touches into ash" assures the rest of us that he is actual a "moderate centrist."

@cincymma79 , are you going to do the official honors?)
I have va care. You can look at their wait times for reference

Here’s one
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/98693856

Broken record but if other countries can do it why can't the US?
What does the va spend per patient? Haven’t looked that up yet. I’ve had free healthcare from the va and of course while active. It was garbage. Getting private insurance was a top priority for me after getting out. Suddenly I could pick my dr and actually get seen. Minor change but a good one

Back