Democrats Propose over $1 Billion for Election Cyber Security

HomerThompson

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Congressional Democrats on Wednesday introduced legislation that would provide more than $1 billion to boost cyber security of U.S. voting systems, saying inaction has made elections vulnerable to more interference from Russian hackers.

The cyber security bill followed warnings on Tuesday from U.S. intelligence officials that this year’s midterm races are likely to experience meddling from Russia and possibly other foreign adversaries.

“We cannot let the Russians laugh about and take joy in the success they had in the last election,” Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic leader in the House of Representatives, said at a news conference. “Their goal is to undermine democracy.”

Lawmakers have introduced several bills, some with bipartisan support, to bolster election security since the 2016 election, though none have become law.

The legislation has no Republican co-sponsors in the House, which is controlled by the party. It is the most comprehensive bill to date and is aimed at bolstering protection for November’s midterms and subsequent elections.

The Election Security Act would provide $1 billion for the U.S. Election Assistance Commission to give to help states buy voting machines that incorporate backup paper ballots, hire security staff and conduct risk assessments.

The measure would create a $20 million grant program for states to perform post-election audits. States would also get $1 for each voter in the most recent election for security purposes.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ion-for-election-cyber-security-idUSKCN1FY2S5

I think this is not only a terrific idea, but an absolutely necessary one. I like all of the measures discussed in the article. I would like more money allocated, but besides that, it's great.

I kind of question how easy it is to "hack" our voting systems and send them awry without detection and diplomatic retaliation.

But, why not? Of all the things to spend money on having a better and more secure voting system seems desirable on first look.

A billion dollars to go in to how to cover up election rigging

Pass

A billion dollars to go in to how to cover up election rigging

Pass

I can understand that sentiment, but if the system is nonpartisan and the right groups oversee the plan it might be a good investment.

Especially in the digital age.

Think of it as security against a group of left wing activists as well as Russian boogeymen.

How about avoiding the issue altogether by simply not using voting machines that can be hacked?

Trolling it is then. Fuck off.

I think he has a point for the 40% of the right that does not at all trust the intentions of the left.

Not that Chuck Schumer or Dick Durbin would ever pull a cynical stunt on Americans...

Before that riles anyone's collective jimmies, of course the left is right to be cynical of the same reach from a Ted Cruz.

But, we might be able to overcome that mutual paranoia introduced by our bad actors and find some ways to improve this plan, all our ideas, and life and general.

Maybe?

Republicans don't want security because foreign entities who try and hack these things of course try and sway them towards Republicans. Republicans are dumber, more gullible, better liars and much MUCH easier to manipulate and fool.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

I think he has a point for the 40% of the right that does not at all trust the intentions of the left.

Not that Chuck Schumer or Dick Durbin would ever pull a cynical stunt on Americans...

Before that riles anyone's collective jimmies, of course the left is right to be cynical of the same reach from a Ted Cruz.

But, we might be able to overcome that mutual paranoia introduced by our bad actors and find some ways to improve this plan, all our ideas, and life and general.

Maybe?

If Ted Cruz (the lunatic that he is) introduced a bill to stop hacking of voter machines I (as a liberal) would be all for it. It's amazing that if a Dem cured cancer some posters on this board would figure out a way to make it partisan

This is a good idea. Especially since The President seems to have no intention doing anything except kowtowing to Russia.

How about so e-verify on that proposal?

I kind of question how easy it is to "hack" our voting systems and send them awry without detection and diplomatic retaliation.

But, why not? Of all the things to spend money on having a better and more secure voting system seems desirable on first look.

Trump didn't sign off on sanctions that passed congress.

As far as how easy it is to "hack", you are being very naïve.

Trump didn't sign off on sanctions that passed congress.

As far as how easy it is to "hack", you are being very naïve.

Also by hack it means, post insanely racist and fake mems on Facebook and have 50% of republicans believe them

This issue could be so easily avoided by not having a democracy.
Another billion wasted on a dying system. Every snowflake these days need to a "vote" or "rights".
Whatever happened to the good old monarchy worked excellent for 1000's of year.
No one needed a "vote" or "rights". No matter the level of inbreeding there was no issue with voter fraud.

SAD

Also by hack it means, post insanely racist and fake mems on Facebook and have 50% of republicans believe them
Oh, so they want money to censor Facebook on anything they consider fake or not in their best interest huh?

Trolling it is then. Fuck off.
How is it trolling?

Why should I blindly put my faith in to people who have shown time and again they have no problem fucking people over? Thats what has gotten us to this point. We ought be a little more critical of our leaders and not just the "other team"

Back