Law Dems want to decriminalize HIV+ sex with unknowing partners ++UPDATE ITS NOT A FELONY ANYMORE++

P

Pwent

In a test of shifting attitudes about HIV, a group of state lawmakers has proposed that it no longer be a felony for someone to knowingly expose others to the disease by engaging in unprotected sex and not telling the partner about the infection.

The measure by state Sen. Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco) and others would make such acts a misdemeanor, a proposal that has sparked opposition from Republican lawmakers.

The same downgrade in crime level would apply to people who donate blood or semen without telling the blood or semen bank that they have acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, or AIDS, or have tested positive for human immunodeficiency virus, or HIV, the precursor to AIDS.

“HIV-related stigma is one of our main obstacles to reducing and ultimately eliminating infections,” Wiener said. “When you criminalize HIV or stigmatize people who have HIV it encourages people not to get tested, to stay in the shadows, not to be open about their status, not to seek treatment.”

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-aids-felony-20170315-story.html

this is the nu-male cuck senator who is proposing it. note, hes from san francisco...
Scott-Wiener.jpg

rawImage.jpg

scott-wiener-hed-2016.png

my opinion, holy fuck, having empathy for people doesnt mean you should let them kill others...

UPDATE (shout out to @Arkain2K for the followup)
Knowingly exposing others to HIV will no longer be a felony in California
Patrick McGreevy | Oct. 6, 2017

la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-new-california-law-will-get-rid-of-some-1507221874

Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill Friday that lowers from a felony to a misdemeanor the crime of knowingly exposing a sexual partner to HIV without disclosing the infection.

The measure also applies to those who give blood without telling the blood bank that they are HIV-positive.

Modern medicine allows those with HIV to live longer lives and nearly eliminates the possibility of transmission, according to state Sen. Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco) and Assemblyman Todd Gloria (D-San Diego), authors of the bill.

“Today California took a major step toward treating HIV as a public health issue, instead of treating people living with HIV as criminals,” Wiener said in a statement. “HIV should be treated like all other serious infectious diseases, and that’s what SB 239 does.”

Supporters of the change said the current law requires an intent to transmit HIV to justify a felony, but others noted cases have been prosecuted where there was no physical contact, so there was an argument intent was lacking.

Brown declined to comment on his action.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...ades-from-felony-to-1507331544-htmlstory.html

Here's your Misdemeanor:

Man who knowingly spread HIV sentenced to six months
Judge calls it a ‘travesty.’

By Michael E. Miller May 5, 2015

09162014_Thomas_Guerra_in_court_1410921230750_8117291_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Thomas Miguel Guerra allegedly gloated in the news that an acquaintance had tested positive for HIV. “Yay lol. Someone getting poz that day,” he texted to a friend. “Poor Sucka.”

In hindsight, however, Guerra’s text was even more twisted than it seemed at the time. Guerra himself was HIV-positive, and since then he has been accused of intentionally exposing dozens of other men to the deadly disease.

On Monday, Guerra, a 30-year-old from San Diego, was sentenced to six months in prison for knowingly spreading the human immunodeficiency virus. He maintained his innocence in court, insisting “I am not a monster” after pleading no contest to a misdemeanor health code violation.

But the judge who sentenced Guerra couldn’t hide her anger over the case, San Diego County’s first.

“I think that’s a tremendous oversight in the law if this is just a misdemeanor,” said Judge Katherine Lewis, calling the light sentence a “travesty” and openly calling for the offense to be changed to a felony.

The case against Guerra began last August, when an ex-boyfriend came forward to police accusing Guerra of infecting him with HIV. The ex claimed that Guerra had told him he was HIV-negative when they began dating in August 2013 after meeting on the gay dating app Grindr, and that Guerra had coaxed him into having unprotected sex.

But then the ex discovered messages on Guerra’s computer admitting to being HIV-positive, according to NBC San Diego. “Guerra even joked in text messages about having HIV and other people not knowing it,” the TV station reported.

In court, prosecutors presented 11,000 text messages and 36 audio clips to support their case against Guerra. But Guerra rejected blame, arguing that his ex had been “reckless.”

“If you are that reckless with your life, how can you blame someone else’s actions?” he said, according to NBC San Diego. Guerra’s attorney took a different tack, however, persuading his client to plead no contest because a jury wouldn’t understand the “dark humor” in Guerra’s texts.

Lewis said she would have liked to have slapped Guerra with a stiffer sentence but was prevented from doing so by statutes. “I don’t think in my 25-plus years in law, I’ve ever seen somebody be so lacking of insight, blame or responsibility that you have demonstrated,” she said.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds liek a bad idea. Safety > stigma.

Not doubting this dude went full retard, but did you link the wrong article? I'm getting an iPad ad or some shit on mobile.

Sounds fucking retarded. I bet we could find a lot of less egregious felonies on the books.

Yeah this definitely needs to stay a felony. If memory serves correctly aren't there sociopaths with HIV trying to spread the infection to as many people as possible?

Lost at "HIV-related stigma". What stigma would that be? That it's bad, and you don't want it?

Where are the calls for this guy's resignation? That's gotta be just about the craziest proposal I've ever heard.

And another "Wiener" in the party, who just happens to be fucking insane too.

Oh' Dems...

In a test of shifting attitudes about HIV, a group of state lawmakers has proposed that it no longer be a felony for someone to knowingly expose others to the disease by engaging in unprotected sex and not telling the partner about the infection.

The measure by state Sen. Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco) and others would make such acts a misdemeanor, a proposal that has sparked opposition from Republican lawmakers.

The same downgrade in crime level would apply to people who donate blood or semen without telling the blood or semen bank that they have acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, or AIDS, or have tested positive for human immunodeficiency virus, or HIV, the precursor to AIDS.

“HIV-related stigma is one of our main obstacles to reducing and ultimately eliminating infections,” Wiener said. “When you criminalize HIV or stigmatize people who have HIV it encourages people not to get tested, to stay in the shadows, not to be open about their status, not to seek treatment.”

this is the nu-male cuck senator who is proposing it. note, hes from san francisco...
Scott-Wiener.jpg

rawImage.jpg

scott-wiener-hed-2016.png

my opinion, holy fuck, having empathy for people doesnt mean you should let them kill others...

That's some truly disgusting shit. You should get a felony for knowingly transmitting any disease, let alone something so permanent and deadly like HIV. If you get caught transmitting HIV, you should get life imprisonment in an isolated cell. That's about as horrible as it gets.

I wonder what the rule is for herpes and all the other STDs.

So he's gay and doesn't want to criminalize the 'not gay' disease that infects and kills gays at a much higher rate than straight people?

The measure by state Sen. Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco)
How is it possible there are TWO "Wieners" in American politics?

1. is famous for txting dik pics
2. second one wants to allow HIV to go run rampant

both are democrat

edited the OP, hope it fixed it

heres a direct link anyways

Thanks boss, appreciate it.

And yeah lmao, dude DEFINITELY is going full retard. I agree with not stigmatizing people, but this definitely doesn't qualify. People who knowingly transmit diseases to others are trash. Just having it is no beef, but if you try and give that shit to me, we're going to have a curb-stompy talk about it.

So he's gay and doesn't want to criminalize the 'not gay' disease that infects and kills gays at a much higher rate than straight people?

He could be a bug chaser, and he just wants to share his passion with the rest of the country.

He's hoping other people will get infected with his enthusiasm.

I wonder what the rule is for herpes and all the other STDs.

Knowingly exposing anybody to any STD should be a felony. That's some low-down heinous shit and even if it's not generally fatal, like say chlamydia, it creates financial burden from the associated health care costs.

If the other STDs aren't felonies, then that's a problem.

The guy's argument is really bad. It'd be a lot more easily debated if his argument was "HIV infected people are living to almost normal life spans with modern medical treatment" instead of "to reduce the stigma of carriers" . It'd still be bad to reduce it to a felony but he *might* have an easier sell with a better argument.

Back