Den of Thieves - upcoming crime thriller with Gerard Butler (UPDATE: Saw it tonight, it's great!)

Well . . . some critics liked it, but overall the reaction skews negative.

Capture.png

EDIT: This score is bullshit!

Last edited by a moderator:
It had some good ideas and would've worked if they trimmed the fat. Could've cut out 20-30 minutes of filler and had a full on action movie instead of trying to make it more. Butler nails his role, not a fan of Ice Cubes kid he's just not a believable badass. It's not bad but not great, I'd say a 6 based off the potential being there.

It had some good ideas and would've worked if they trimmed the fat. Could've cut out 20-30 minutes of filler and had a full on action movie instead of trying to make it more. Butler nails his role, not a fan of Ice Cubes kid he's just not a believable badass. It's not bad but not great, I'd say a 6 based off the potential being there.

I intend to go check it out tonight. If it's at least a 6 then I figure I can live with that.

Probably go see this tonight and then see 12 Strong sometime in the middle of the week.

I intend to go check it out tonight. If it's at least a 6 then I figure I can live with that.

Probably go see this tonight and then see 12 Strong sometime in the middle of the week.
I'm gonna see 12 Strong probably tomorrow. But DoT isn't bad it's just a bit average and could've been alot more. Anyone that likes Butler will like this though, I try to be a bit strict on my ratings on here so I don't send a fellow member to a shitty movie since I tend to enjoy quite a bit of shitty movies.

Den of thieves is a pretty cool action flick. i agree towards the end you could of shaved off like 20 minutes but this movie delivers in action, it takes less than 5 minutes for the action to start. All the action in this film is pretty realistic looking and not over the top bullshit like fast n the furious.it has very cool moments throughout the film.

I love the kid scene that came to pick up 50 cents daughter, that scene was pure gold.

The main villain is pretty intimidating and would like to see him in more films, he has a very commanding presence on screen.

The star of the show to me was gerald Butler. The man plays a great nut. Hugh jackman would play an awesome last of us Joel but butler in this film made me think there was more than just one guy out there that could pull it off. Every time butler was on screen he stole the show.

Give it a 7 out of 10. I actually want to watch it again after just seeing it today

I can kind of feel you on that, actually. I think it's a very well-made film but I rarely want to actually rewatch it.
its because you have some of the shittiest taste i have ever encounted.

wont rewatch heat but love me some speed racer hahahahah

I just got back from this one and it is damn good!

We've seen heist films before and this movie does recycle some common tropes, but it does it so well and does it in ways that feel new and fresh. I was locked in from beginning to end and never felt bored. If you think this is just going to be some generic crime thriller with Gerard Butler and 50 Cent then you're wrong.

The cast all does a good job, though at the end of the day, this really is Gerard's movie and everybody else is just living in it. He turns in a great performance--one of the best performances of his career, no doubt--as the slightly unhinged cop, husband and father who is married as much to the job as he is to his wife.

The action, when it occurs, is also stellar. From the opening theft of an armored truck to a shoot-out in the finale, it is all expertly executed. But the film really is not as much of an action film as the trailers might have you believe. It is a character-driven story about two groups of men on opposite sides of the law, all of whom are rugged and hard-edged and on a collision course toward each other.

Having now actually seen the movie, I cannot BELIEVE the RT score is as low as it is. It makes no sense to me at all. The majority of the critics must have had their heads so far up their asses that they couldn't see the screen well enough to understand what they were watching. I just don't get how someone could watch this film and come away feeling like it's not well-made.

At least some of the critics know what's up though. A few positive quotes:

Rafer Guzman of Newsday said:
Den of Thieves" may not be as moody as "To Live and Die in L.A." or as clever as "The Usual Suspects," but it works well on its own terms. As for Butler, it's like discovering him all over again.

James Verniere of the Boston Herald said:
This gritty Heat-like crime thriller with a fabulous cast could be first breakout hit of 2018.

Todd Gilchrist of TheWrap said:
Christian Gudegast lacks Mann's peerless technique and moral complexity, but for a movie so conspicuously wearing its chief influence on its sleeve, the first-timer employs an appealing, restless energy that gives his homage its own life on screen.

Personally, I'm giving it an 8/10. I suspect it won't do great financially, but I really hope I am wrong about that. Everyone involved deserves for this to be a success.

@VitorReem, @Dusty Rhodes, @Strychnine, @BayAreaGuy, @Dragonlordxxxxx, @DeepCover, you guys expressed some interest in this one. Y'all should definitely give it a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll check it out when comes out on home media. I like Butler but ever since I saw 50 cents acting in Southpaw, I'm not sold on any movies where he plays a prominent role.

I'll check it out when comes out on home media. I like Butler but ever since I saw 50 cents acting in Southpaw, I'm not sold on any movies where he plays a prominent role.

50 Cent is actually not that much of a factor in the film.

Basically you have Gerard and his gang of cops and Pablo Schreiber and his gang of criminals. And 50 Cent is just one of a few members of the gang of criminals. He appears throughout and has a handful of lines but he's not really a leading player.

I was in anyway, but it's nice to see the positive reviews. I'm on it and will report back.

I was contemplating watching this movie or 12 Strong. I chose 12 strong, which is not a bad movie, just not great. I will watch Den of Theives next then.

Last edited:
I saw it tonight. It wasn't bad.

Back