Den of Thieves - upcoming crime thriller with Gerard Butler (UPDATE: Saw it tonight, it's great!)

also dont look at RT

IMDB is more accurate for what this movie is...its sitting at 7.5/10

I assumed that film excellence award show. And what I meant by that was that if the film wasn't made to break new grounds in content or excellence while still being enjoyable it should be rated accordingly.

^That's about the best explanation I can give.

The oscar quote was taken from @MadSquabbles500 post. What do you want me to explain specifically?

I'm not sure how revolutionary The Mummy was, but it's a strong 8.5 or 9/10 for me.

It's not the kind of movie that will ever get any love at the Oscars, except perhaps in one of the technical categories.

I'm not sure how revolutionary The Mummy was, but it's a strong 8.5 or 9/10 for me.

It's not the kind of movie that will ever get any love at the Oscars, except perhaps in one of the technical categories.

Like I said I don't know a single thing about the Oscars except they award films.

A movie doesn't have to break new grounds in content if they strive for excellence. It's when a film does neither it deserves to be a 6 out of 10. And since when is 6 out 10 a bad score? That should mean it's above average for a flick.

I took the day off work and went to see this with the wife today. I really liked it. It's easily better than Triple 9, but not quite as good as The Town. I enjoyed the ending (I won't spoil anything), which sets this one apart from others in this genre a bit.

It's also nice to see some UFC talent in there, former and current.

I took the day off work and went to see this with the wife today. I really liked it. It's easily better than Triple 9, but not quite as good as The Town. I enjoyed the ending (I won't spoil anything), which sets this one apart from others in this genre a bit.

It's also nice to see some UFC talent in there, former and current.

Cool, glad you liked it. I definitely agree with your assessment that it was better than Triple 9 but not quite as good as The Town. Spot on.

Regarding the ending, I didn't have strong feelings about it either way, but I felt it was kind of unnecessary. The story would've worked just as well without trying to shock us with a big twist at the end.

How do Murican's feel about Gerard Butler's attempts at a Murican accent? To my ear it sounds bloody awful and it always seems like he has to channel so much of his energy into keeping it going that his performances always suffer as a result of it. I mean I should be clear in saying I don't think he's a very good actor to begin with but I think he'd do a lot better if he just went the Sean Connery route and stuck with his native accent for the most part.

How do Murican's feel about Gerard Butler's attempts at a Murican accent? To my ear it sounds bloody awful and it always seems like he has to channel so much of his energy into keeping it going that his performances always suffer as a result of it. I mean I should be clear in saying I don't think he's a very good actor to begin with but I think he'd do a lot better if he just went the Sean Connery route and stuck with his native accent for the most part.

It's not super convincing. You can always hear just a bit of his Scottish accent leaking through.

It's interesting because most actors from the UK and Australia tend to do a really good job of affecting convincing American accent. Occasionally they can even nail regional dialects as well, though that is more rare.

By contrast I don't think I've ever seen someone from the UK or Australia give an American actor credit for doing a good British/Irish/Scottish/Aussie accent.

Regarding the ending, I didn't have strong feelings about it either way, but I felt it was kind of unnecessary. The story would've worked just as well without trying to shock us with a big twist at the end.
I agree, but I do like that it requires you to replay parts of the film back in your head and put the pieces together. I like that extra layer of complexity. It could also set the stage for a part 2. Maybe.

But after that score, who really needs to keep hustling and taking risks?

I saw this movie tonight and thought it was really good. Great performances all around and the pacing was good throughout. I haven't seen much of Gerald Butler aside from 300, but I thought he gave a great performance as an on-edge cop. Action scenes were well executed too, overall very enjoyable.

I was shocked to see it had such a low score on RT. If only this were a Marvel or Star Wars movie it'd be sitting at a cool 80% right now.......

I was shocked to see it had such a low score on RT. If only this were a Marvel or Star Wars movie it'd be sitting at a cool 80% right now.......

Not sure what the critics' problem was with this one. It's a well-made crime thriller that felt, to me, like a fresh take on the heist genre (even though it is clearly inspired by Heat).

It's almost like every once in a while the critics get together before a movie is released and agree as a group to turn in a bad review, regardless of whether the film is actually good or not.

Den of thieves is a pretty cool action flick. i agree towards the end you could of shaved off like 20 minutes but this movie delivers in action, it takes less than 5 minutes for the action to start. All the action in this film is pretty realistic looking and not over the top bullshit like fast n the furious.it has very cool moments throughout the film.

I love the kid scene that came to pick up 50 cents daughter, that scene was pure gold.

The main villain is pretty intimidating and would like to see him in more films, he has a very commanding presence on screen.

The star of the show to me was gerald Butler. The man plays a great nut. Hugh jackman would play an awesome last of us Joel but butler in this film made me think there was more than just one guy out there that could pull it off. Every time butler was on screen he stole the show.

Give it a 7 out of 10. I actually want to watch it again after just seeing it today
If you are talking about Pablo Schreiber then he is great in American Gods...it's not a movie but still a good show.

So just watched it and didn't realize it was made in Atlanta. Was really offputting watching all those gunfights in my neighborhood before switching to shots of LA. Notice how there's no palm trees on the ground level? That's because it's my neighborhood .

Last edited:
Update: February 13, 2018

DEN OF THIEVES Gets Sequel With Gerard Butler, 50 Cent, Filmmakers Reuniting

Z7OSh3L.jpg

They are thick as thieves and coming together for yet another heist: Gerard Butler, Tucker Tooley, Mark Canton, Alan Siegel, Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson and director Christian Gudegast with O’Shea Jackson, Jr. (who is in negotiations) have pacted to return for a sequel to the heist thriller Den of Thieves. The project, which will be distributed by STX worldwide and financed by Diamond Film Productions, is being written by Gudegast from an original idea.

Den of Thieves 2, which will also be directed again by Gudegast, will find Big Nick (Butler) on the hunt in the streets of Europe closing in on Donnie (Jackson Jr.) who is embroiled in the dangerous world of diamond thieves and the infamous Panther mafia, as they plot a massive heist of the world’s biggest diamond exchange.

Canton and Tooley will produce the sequel with Butler and Siegel’s production company G-BASE. Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson will produce through his production company G-Unit Film & Television, Inc.

The original Den of Thieves over-performed at the box office when it was released last month. The film, which took Tooley and Canton about 15 years to bring to the screen, has yet to finish out its international run (it has about 35 markets yet to go). Worldwide, the film has grossed $57M so far.

The original cost around $30M before P&A with an $25M+ P&A backstopped by Diamond Films which also provided gap financing. Roughly 60% of the budget was covered by pre-sales and a tax incentive brought it to roughly 70%.

There is plenty of audience growth which was made evident by the release of the first film and the exit polling which showed equal interest from all male audience quads.

‘Den Of Thieves’ Gets Sequel With Gerard Butler, 50 Cent, Filmmakers Reuniting (Exclusive)

Nice! Take THAT, critics!

I'm glad the film is a success and that regular moviegoers have responded positively to it.

It was kind of like The Town, but for people who go the the gym all the time.

How are they going to do a sequel with 50 Cents in terms of writing the story?

His character was shot dead by cops near the end.

Nice! Take THAT, critics!

I'm glad the film is a success and that regular moviegoers have responded positively to it.

Have you seen Street Kings?

That is one similar to this movie that was pissed on by the critics but its solid as fuck

It might be one of my favorite movies even

Have you seen Street Kings?

That is one similar to this movie that was pissed on by the critics but its solid as fuck

It might be one of my favorite movies even

Heard of it but not seen it.

Doesn't that have John Leguizamo?

Like I said earlier, comparisons are inevitable but it's not like Heat invented the sub-genre or was the first one to do a lot of the shit that it did.

To go back to Point Break, would we have even gotten Heat if Point Break hadn't come out a few years earlier? Who knows, but it's hard to believe that PB didn't influence Mann at all. But you don't hear anyone saying, "Ahh yeah, that Den of Thieves, the Point Break ripoff."

point-break-movie-poster-1991-1020291357.jpg

Mann had already made L.A. Takedown 2 years before Point Break was released. Heat is basically the same tv movie, remade with a bigger budget.

Last edited:
Back