Den of Thieves - upcoming crime thriller with Gerard Butler (UPDATE: Saw it tonight, it's great!)

Saw this movie last week, didn't plan on seeing it in the theater but my brother insisted. I was suprised, it was pretty darn good. Exceeded my expectations. I really enjoyed the more serious tone of the movie and the pace aswell . The gunplay in the movie I thought was excellent and I liked they they avoided certain movie/heist cliches

I recommend this movie to those of you that enjoyed more recent movies such as The Town, Hell or High Water, Triple 9s

Saw this movie last week, didn't plan on seeing it in the theater but my brother insisted. I was suprised, it was pretty darn good. Exceeded my expectations. I really enjoyed the more serious tone of the movie and the pace aswell . The gunplay in the movie I thought was excellent and I liked they they avoided certain movie/heist cliches

I recommend this movie to those of you that enjoyed more recent movies such as The Town, Hell or High Water, Triple 9s

Cool, glad you enjoyed it.

Just out of curiosity, what are some of the cliches you're thinking of?

Cool, glad you enjoyed it.

Just out of curiosity, what are some of the cliches you're thinking of?

I liked that there was no real love interest in the movie that interfered. They touched on it but there was never that "we got your lady, if you want to see her alive do this" scene. I mean he really did not give a shit about her.

Also there was no "we are getting a crew together scene where they show a montage of each guy and what they are good at"

There was no falling out scene "we are friends but in this scene we have a falling out only to make up later in the movie"

Also I really enjoyed the gun range scene. I just thought it was an excellent movie

How do Murican's feel about Gerard Butler's attempts at a Murican accent? To my ear it sounds bloody awful and it always seems like he has to channel so much of his energy into keeping it going that his performances always suffer as a result of it. I mean I should be clear in saying I don't think he's a very good actor to begin with but I think he'd do a lot better if he just went the Sean Connery route and stuck with his native accent for the most part.

I did not notice it. I think he does a good jerb.

It seems like every regular moviegoer who's actually watched it has enjoyed it. Not sure why most of the critics gave it a poor review. Doesn't make sense.

Critics generally dont like these types of movies though do they. Most of them are too far up their own arses.

It seems like every regular moviegoer who's actually watched it has enjoyed it. Not sure why most of the critics gave it a poor review. Doesn't make sense.

Not alot of substance would be my guess, but its great for what it is

I just saw this movie because I remember seeing this thread. It exceeded expectations but my expectations were pretty low to begin with.
I have to say, I don't know... It was a watchable flick and I don't regret seeing it, but it wasn't anything special. This kind of movie has been done a lot of times and done much better.
The action in the beginning sold me but afterwards, it was kind of a mess for me. It takes itself way too seriously and crams in character development randomly. Knowing about Butler's marriage troubles or about how 50 cent loves his daughter was useless and yawn inducing. Although the scene where a bunch of grown men intimidate a high school kid made me laugh, albeit not in a good way.
How the bad guys end up in the bank and the twist at the end was not believable at all. Butler's performance was good but his character was kind of like wtf. I got that he's sort of a badass renegade cop and bit of an asshole, but some of the shit he did made no sense to me. Was he doing it on purpose to play mind games? Or was it because he is an impulsive asshole? I couldn't tell and it seems like the film couldn't decide either. His American accent was okay I think.
The action was the best part of the film but there wasn't enough of it.

Rewatched this is night, I liked it more on the 2nd viewing. Butler was on point and elevates the movie with his performance. Still not a fan of Ice Cubes kid though, he has no screen presence at all. Butler owned him horribly anytime they were in a scene together and I'm not talking storyline wise.

How do Murican's feel about Gerard Butler's attempts at a Murican accent? To my ear it sounds bloody awful and it always seems like he has to channel so much of his energy into keeping it going that his performances always suffer as a result of it. I mean I should be clear in saying I don't think he's a very good actor to begin with but I think he'd do a lot better if he just went the Sean Connery route and stuck with his native accent for the most part.

I think it doesn't matter if "they" nail the accent, it just makes them sound like they have a unique voice, not someone failing to perfectly nail the accent.

Example, Idris Elba and "McNulty" in The Wire. Both didn't talk completely naturally, (McNulty couldn't say "Daniels" like an American to save his life) but it made them seem like they had a voice with extra presence (especially Elba).

Tom Hardy is another example. His voice sounds different, thats probably part of his appeal. Americans don't talk like him when he is doing an American accent.

I'm sure its not as charming in reverse, an American being slightly off with an British accent.

Last edited:
I'm sure its not as charming in reverse, an American being slightly off with an British accent.

Slightly off?

images

SLIGHTLY OFF!?

images

Just finished this and it's an awful movie. D-tier Heat wannabe at best without well written characters or seemingly any character arcs. A bunch of corrupt shitty cops killing shitty people, whoopdeedoo. Ice Cube Jr. can't act and it's only worth watching for Pablo Schreiber. Watch something better and don't waste your time just because it's new.

Just finished this and it's an awful movie. D-tier Heat wannabe at best without well written characters or seemingly any character arcs. A bunch of corrupt shitty cops killing shitty people, whoopdeedoo. Ice Cube Jr. can't act and it's only worth watching for Pablo Schreiber. Watch something better and don't waste your time just because it's new.

I dont think you watched it. Cops didnt kill anyone until the end so wtf are you talking about.

I dont trust your taste now

I enjoyed the shit out of this movie. Gunplay was legit, well done with reloads, tactics and proper automatic weapons fire.

Shows one of the worst fears you have as a cop, dudes with military training, weapons and tactics fighting with squad level efficiency.

Schreiber and Butler were perfect in their respective roles.

Yeah it's a Heat knock off but it was done pretty well.

Also a lot of MMA dudes in it. Bisping, Oleg, Max.

Last edited:
Back