Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury on Dec. 1 generated 325,000 ppv buys

Meathead Jock

WAR ASKREN
@Gold
Reaction score
It sold for $75. I think this is considered a success? With that said it seems pretty sad that the biggest american heavyweight fight in basically a decade couldn't sell more.

UFC needs to get out of the PPV business, its only going to get worse. It takes superstars at this point (and it will only become worse) so 13 is way too many a year.

Neither are well known in the States, neither had been on PPV before. They needed about 250k to break even.

But yes PPV is dead. Bob Arum realized this and has moved Top Rank to ESPN, Eddie Hearn and De La Hoya realized this and partnered with DAZN they're all only several years later than Vince Mcmahon who knew it was dying years ago.

Dana is a fucking idiot and WME don't actually care about MMA just money and are too greedy/stupid to fix this problem which they could if Fightpass wasn't garbage

Their rematch will do a half million or more. Probably one of the biggest HW fights ever

It's boxing, once you've graduated to MMA it's like watching flag football instead of NFL.

No one was talking about it.

It's boxing, once you've graduated to MMA it's like watching flag football instead of NFL.

It still would have been the 5th highest selling UFC PPV of 2018 and at a higher price point. But seems like a dead format without the likes of a McGregor now days.

Their rematch will do a half million or more. Probably one of the biggest HW fights ever

Agree, I think it is aimed for April? While Fury should have won the first ones score cards, Fury was also lucky to survive, so the 2nd fight is a worthy rematch.

Its more like leaving the NFL for Rugby.
Less athletic, more sloppy, inferior athletes.

MMA sucks. I'd be champ if I wanted too

When it comes to hard core fight fans a large portion of them stream fights, which obviously don't show up on PPV numbers. The only fights that will ever sell mega numbers are when casuals want to watch a fight, McGregor or Mayweather. Talked to at least 10 people about the Fury vs Wilder fight, don't think anyone actually paid 75$. When streams were crap quality think more people justified paying. Now with multiple HD streams available tough to get someone to spend that kind of money unless its a party and they don't want to risk any problems.

It's considered a big success since the last time HWs headlined a U.S. PPV was back in 2006 (and that fight did 60k PPVs, it was abysmal). This is the first time heavyweights have any real buzz surrounding them since the days of Lennox, Tyson & Holyfield (at least in the U.S. market). The rematch is set to do bigger numbers than that. And I agree with other posters that the PPV model is on the decline big time.

Holyfield has his fair share of big PPVs as well.
idk why i thought tyson had like 4 ppv’s with 1m+ buys and the rest of the ppv landscape was all lighter weights. can’t believe i didn’t know that lmao

idk why i thought tyson had like 4 ppv’s with 1m+ buys and the rest of the ppv landscape was all lighter weights. can’t believe i didn’t know that lmao
Heavyweights were everything back then and has gone to shit in America after Tyson/Lewis. Oscar was the first lighter fighter to have huge PPVs because he carried the torch and the Mexican crowd from Chavez and then when Floyd and Pacquaio beat him, they became huge PPV draws themselves.

What happened to HW boxing when 140lb guys who weigh as much as middle schoolers are selling 5x our best HW's?!

Wilder isn't as well known as Fury and boxing isn't as popular in the US as it is in Europe. If the fight was in the UK I would think it would have sold more PPVs. A rematch in the UK would sell way more now though than it would have the first time had it been in the UK instead of the US.

Its more like leaving the NFL for Rugby.
Less athletic, more sloppy, inferior athletes.

MMA sucks. I'd be champ if I wanted too

Pussys that need every inch of their body protected and a game 1 hour long game with 2 hours of breaks/cheerleaders/adverts. There’s a reason why only yous give a fck about nfl when half the world is taking up rugby.

Back