Diabetes, Obesity and Processed Food

Hotora86

war in the ring, never outside
Platinum Member
Reaction score
For years we have been told that type 2 diabetes, liver and heart disease are caused by eating too much -- it's all our fault. Dr. Robert H. Lustig explains that the problem is the quality and not the quantity of the food we eat. The real culprit is processed food, loaded with added sugar and stripped of its natural fiber and nutrients.

In this program, Dr. Lustig explains:
• Obesity is not the real problem; being thin is no protection from disease.
• All calories are not equal--which to avoid and which to eat.
• How your hormones can make you sick or healthy.
• Why sugar calories are so dangerous to your liver and your life.
• Easy, practical ways to get sugar and processed food out of your life.

I think this is worthwhile so wanted to share.

And if you don't like the infomercial-ish style of the above, check out Dr. Lustig's original lecture here:

I just came back from a liver conference and was thinking of making a thread based on evidence based therapies, treatments and science presented.

There were a few surprising things including newer liver - gut axis findings and TD2 reversal in large numbers of obese people with a liquid diet and loss of 15kg in body weight.

Also a shot over the bough of high meat content diets.

They say eating healthy is more about what you shouldn’t eat than what you should eat.

1. Cut down on processed food
2. Cut down on grains and (for most people) dairy
3. Cut down on sugar

Alternatively:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323151200_Therapeutic_protocol_of_Paleomedicina_Hungary

I’d bet a lot of money this will become standard nutritional guidelines in the future.

I'm going to make a separate thread related to the hepatology meeting I just went to but I sort of agree with you. People think you can eat yourself to health when in fact it's more like you can eat yourself into an unhealthy state.

I'm going to make a separate thread related to the hepatology meeting I just went to but I sort of agree with you. People think you can eat yourself to health when in fact it's more like you can eat yourself into an unhealthy state.
While it is hard to "eat yourself to health" it is possible to avoid many health problems by eating smart. And if someone is already unhealthy due to bad eating habits, fixing the diet will definitely improve their health.

GSP’s doctor, Jason Fung, apparently has made a breakthrough treating diabetes with just fasting. I personally healed my own significant digestive issues by fasting. Im starting to think it’s really the miracle cure we’ve been looking for. Apparently when you allow your body to enter a fasting state the cells are finally not being stressed, and now free to do “spring cleaning”. Religions did not practice fasting just cause, and that is the hidden secret.

GSP’s doctor, Jason Fung, apparently has made a breakthrough treating diabetes with just fasting. I personally healed my own significant digestive issues by fasting. Im starting to think it’s really the miracle cure we’ve been looking for. Apparently when you allow your body to enter a fasting state the cells are finally not being stressed, and now free to do “spring cleaning”. Religions did not practice fasting just cause, and that is the hidden secret.
While I don't disagree, one has to thoroughly prepare for fasting for safety reasons. Decreasing portion sizes and getting rid of sugar / processed food are essential first steps.

While I don't disagree, one has to thoroughly prepare for fasting for safety reasons. Decreasing portion sizes and getting rid of sugar / processed food are essential first steps.
The human body stores food to prepare for when there isn’t any. There is virtually no safety concern for the vast majority. Your body was designed to go long periods without food. You just need to trust it.

"Obesity is not the real problem; being thin is no protection from disease."

Those are 2 different statements. Obesity is a huge problem that greatly increases your odds of developing several preventable health issues such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and the list goes on and on.

Being thin doesn't preclude the above from happening but being obese DOES increase the odds of worse health significantly. Trying to clump them together to make them seem like one reinforces the other should raise eyebrows.

Diet is huge but genetics and lifestyle are tremendously influential. Im pretty sure that if you sleep 7-8 hours a night, maintain a low stress level, exercise, and have strong genetics pretty much any type of diet will work for you and you will be able to maintain health in spite of a poor diet. Much of the time.

Diet is huge but genetics and lifestyle are tremendously influential. Im pretty sure that if you sleep 7-8 hours a night, maintain a low stress level, exercise, and have strong genetics pretty much any type of diet will work for you and you will be able to maintain health in spite of a poor diet. Much of the time.
Sorry but no. Training hard while eating crap will make you fit but unhealthy.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4882373/
Today’s diet is typically high in refined carbohydrate, including various forms of sugar, which many athletes erroneously believe is necessary for better performance [11, 12]. However, a diet high in refined carbohydrate is also high glycemic, which can promote poor health [13, 14]. In the short term, refined carbohydrates, whether in the form of sugar or refined flour, can impair fat oxidation rates [13, 15] and contribute to the production of inflammation and pain [16, 17] and increased reactive oxygen species (ROS) production [14]. Over time, this can create hyperinsulinemia and chronic inflammation, also associated with reduced health [18].
Also note that an athlete with a poor diet can end up being TOFI:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOFI

Last edited:
Sorry but no. Training hard while eating crap will make you fit but unhealthy.
I think we would have to have this conversation while looking at things on the micro level. As for the macro level, and general heath, I truly believe that most people will be able to weather a poor diet and have healthy bloodwork and routine diagnostics as long as they exercise, get enough sleep, live relatively low stress, and have strong genes.

I' will admit most of my opinion is from recalling anecdotes but I have a feeling the research would uphold the theory.

I think we would have to have this conversation while looking at things on the micro level. As for the macro level, and general heath, I truly believe that most people will be able to weather a poor diet and have healthy bloodwork and routine diagnostics as long as they exercise, get enough sleep, live relatively low stress, and have strong genes.

I' will admit most of my opinion is from recalling anecdotes but I have a feeling the research would uphold the theory.
I used to think that as well but was proven wrong by medical professionals. As for research - it's literally in the link that I posted:
I know, it's surprising and counter-intuitive but exercise and good genes still can't beat a poor diet (in most cases).

It also depends on the time frame you are considering. Good genes in the short term can help a person appear to be healthy despite a terrible diet but in a long enough time frame, the poor diet will lead to health issues in the vast majority of people regardless of genetics.

It also depends on the time frame you are considering. Good genes in the short term can help a person appear to be healthy despite a terrible diet but in a long enough time frame, the poor diet will lead to health issues in the vast majority of people regardless of genetics.
Exactly!

Here's the thing. Cutting out refined sugar and processed foods does NOT necessarily mean eating a low-carb or ketogenic diet. Ketogenic diets in particular do not serve athletes well. All of these doctors discussing ketogenic diets are primarily talking about the superobese non-exercising population.

Here's the thing. Cutting out refined sugar and processed foods does NOT necessarily mean eating a low-carb or ketogenic diet. Ketogenic diets in particular do not serve athletes well. All of these doctors discussing ketogenic diets are primarily talking about the superobese non-exercising population.

We had a local hockey player who swore on the low carb diet, and thought it made him "feel better". It may have, his perception is his perception. However, after his coaches were noticing he was doing poorly in his performance they pulled him aside. They asked him some questions, and a doctor at the local university narrowed it down to him restricting the carbs in his diet. When they got him on a more balanced diet his performance went back up.

Myself have went on a low carb diet. Did so in attempts to cut weight for boxing. I sparred at the end of the week, and I could not produce anything explosive in my movements. I was slow, and had weak response times, and poor reflexes. Same thing, when I put carbs back into my diet, my performance went back up. My intensity went back up.

Carbs are needed for high intensity activity. I've heard about this, I've read about this, and I've experienced this. There needs to be more research done to ketogenic diets. However, the data on hand seems to show that you are right in saying they may not serve athletes well.

I think it is also worth considering the lifestyle of people.

Sedentary populations will probably have more blood sugar than those who are active. Hyperglycemia is not a good thing.

Exercise will help regulate glucose levels. That is not a free ticket to binge eat whatever, but different populations and different lifestyles need to be considered as well.

Can you guys believe Wilford Brimley is still alive

Back