Diamond MMA Compression Jock and Cup Review

dfwdc

White Belt
Reaction score
Comfortable, highly protective, stays in place, no loss of mobility.

Hi all. Been a long time reader of this forum but this is my first review so excuse and newbie mistakes. I pre-ordered this jock and cup a few months back after catching a YouTube vid of the company founder testing the cup out. For the longest time I've used the Jaco Guardian system simply because I found it shifted less than other jock/cup systems I've tried like the Shockdocs. I decided to order this jock since there have been multiple times that I've taken shots to the groin in the Jaco and they really didn't do much for reducing pain or impact.

I received my Diamonds last Monday and got to try them out Friday and Sunday. Some reference info: I'm 29 years old, mainly train muay thai and boxing, 5'6", 155-160lbs., 31in. waist. The shorts I received were a size medium and would say they are snug but not constricting.

Here's a few outside shots of the Diamonds:
Diamond_Compression_Jock_001.jpg

Diamond_Compression_Jock_005.jpg

Unlike the Jaco velco straps, the Diamonds uses elastic bands which are placed within the shorts like a traditional jock strap. Here's a shot of the shorts turned inside out:
Diamond_Compression_Jock_007.jpg

The cup goes inside the pocket in the above pic. Legs go inside the bands so that the wrap around the front of your waist and diagonally down your glutes. There's elastic that goes from the bottom of the cup pocket through the bottom of the shorts to the top of the waist band. The thing I liked about this setup is that there isn't a strap in your crack like the Jaco or a steel Thai cup.

Construction:

The compression shorts seem like most other spandex, polyester compression gear you can find at a local sporting goods store. The shorts did seem to breathe well during training. I'm training in the Dallas area where we've been in triple digit weather for the past month without A/C in the gym. I was sweating like crazy but the shorts seemed to help with evaporation. I did like how the stitching was flush against the fabric and didn't cause any friction while moving about.

Diamond_Compression_Jock_003.jpg

I believe the cup itself is made from plastic. Dimensions are 6.75h x 4w x 2.25d

Diamond_Cup_001.jpg

Judging by how hard the cup is, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some carbon fiber mixed in. The name Diamond really suits it. The cup has a wide layer of rubber around the outside which is firm but pliable. I think this helps with dispersing the energy from impact but I'm not a physicist. See the side view below:
Diamond_Cup_003.jpg

Functionality:

The cup works like a champ. I caught a hard, stray, inside leg kick to the nuts while sparring Friday and the cup dispersed the impact like I've never experienced. I reacted from the shot but it wasn't due to pain. The reaction was more of a, "WTF I should've dropped to my knees already", kind of reaction. From past experience, I would've needed a breather. I let one of my instructors (trained out of Saekson's Gym 12+ years) kick me after our training session and he bruised his shin since the cup is so hard. Still no pain on my end.

It did take some time to get the cup in a comfortable position but IMO you have to break in any new piece of equipment. I didn't notice any shifting while moving around, kicking, kneeing, or checking kicks. I can notice that the cup is there so it's either I still need to adjust to it or it's due to it's size. The legs came down to a few inches above my knees so I didn't notice the legs riding up during movement which was nice.

Customer Service:

The company founder/owner, Craig Diamond, sent me an e-mail shortly after I placed my preorder letting me know that he would keep me updated on the progress. He's been very responsive to questions I've had before and after I received my order. They shipped it on a Friday and I received it the following Monday. I noticed an issue with one of the elastic bands and he's replacing it for free. I just wish I had preordered this sooner.

Conclusion:

The entire system cost roughly $100. I've gotta say out of all the money I've spent on my gear, this has been the best investment towards my training. If you have the money, want to protect your future children or ability to urinate, and can wait for the delivery, I highly recommend this cup system.

Again this is my first review so your feedback is appreciated. Would be happy to answer any questions or post more pics.

Last edited:
100 bucks?? I got three pairs of jacos for that much.

dfwdc: Thanks for the review. How is the diamond cup for rolling/bjj/grappling?

Also: You say you have a 31" waist - is that your jean size, or did you measure your waist with a measuring tape?

Can your order the shorts separately?

100 bucks?? I got three pairs of jacos for that much.

Where are you getting Jacos for that much? The prices I see are $50 for the whole system, $35 for the shorts without a cup.

Last edited:
How long did it take to be delivered after pre ordering? How much does the cup stick out comepared to the Jaco?

dfwdc: Thanks for the review. How is the diamond cup for rolling/bjj/grappling?

Also: You say you have a 31" waist - is that your jean size, or did you measure your waist with a measuring tape?

Can your order the shorts separately?

Haven't had a chance to try it out for rolling/bjj/grappling. I've been focusing on stand-up recently but will post an update once I try it for the ground game.

31" is my waist using a tape measure. Not sure if you can order the shorts separately or not. Sent Craig and e-mail and will post when I receive word.

How long did it take to be delivered after pre ordering? How much does the cup stick out comepared to the Jaco?

It took about 8 weeks after I ordered. They didn't actually charge my card until the day it was shipped which I thought was nice. From what I can tell they're still fairly new and make their gear is handmade in Illinois so I'm not sure how big of an operation they have running. Guess the wait is part of the growing pains but it was well worth waiting.

The amount it sticks out seems negligible compared to the Jaco. I donated mine to the gym since there's actual fighters in need of better gear so I don't have it to take a measurement. I'd say the Diamonds may stick out about 1/4" more but that's just eyeballing it.

I'll say this once. contrary to accusations on the other forum discussing diamond mma, I am just a very satisfied customer, not a part of the organization in any way. I have rolled in the diamond mma compression shorts, both with a standard sports cup, and with the newly released Diamond MMA cup. For pure BJJ, while okay for training, most don't wear a cup as they continue in the art (largely because of tournament rules). However, for MMA style, no gi grappling, the compression shorts are an instant improvement. A pro fighter I train with says it's a different league than the Jaco's (which he wears in training sometimes). The Jaco's shift considerably and the diamond mma compression shorts hold everything as firm as you could want. He currently uses a steel Thai cup with the shorts.

When I received (couple weeks ago) the cup, there are also some notable benefits. First, the rubber shock absorption that is referenced in the review is outstanding. I took a few hard direct shots with a kali stick just to see. They would have stung with a standard cup, but the rubber dissipated the hit into much less sensitive areas. could I feel the hits? Yes, but much like the review, I almost reacted in disbelief that I didn't feel some actual pain.
Second, the design of the cup (while a little bulkier than standard sports) has a much better ergonomic fit, rides lower, and tucks under further. Especially for rolling, this last aspect is especially nice. Now you're not stabbing your training partner in the chest during a mount, or allowing their movement to shift the protection out of place when they are fighting your guard.

Okay so here'e my experience with Diamond MMA. Let me say first off, I've been doing MMA for almost 2 years now at the Warriors Cove in Minnesota. One thing that I was always leery about was shots to the balls. During sparring and especially during grappling I was constantly worried about getting a knee or a foot in the balls. So I went and got myself a Shock Doctor shorts and cup off eBay for $35. Back in high school (15 years ago) I remember using just a jock strap and a cup but I remember that the cup really didnt go down and under my balls so there was still a chance for a ball shot during football or baseball. I dont want to say that the jock strap was uncomfy but I'm sure it wasnt the comfiest thing to wear. So I figured the Shock Doctor would work, until I went to a class wearing it and realized that wearing a cup for MMA was going to be very different experience than any other sport. I was constantly repositioning the cup and when I did take (even small) shots to the groin, the cup shifted. It made it uncomfortable to have someone in my guard and without some reliable protection in that area I dont feel as confident with any move that requires me to throw my legs up around someone. I knew I could roll a Muay Thai style cup with the 3 strap "jockstrap"and a steel cup but after trying one of those I knew it wasnt for me. One of the straps rides right in the buttcrack to keep the bottom of the cup in place.
Fast forward to the early July this year. A friend of mine calls me and asks if i listened to Joe Rogan's Podcast that day. I hadn't so he informed me that Joe was talking about this new jock and cup that he claimed would solve the whole "nut shot timeout" thing in the UFC. So naturally I went to YouTube to do some research on Diamond MMA. All the videos looked incredible and I really couldnt believe the tests and claims made fro this company about this product. So I went to their website to order and found that I could only pre-order mine with the next shipment. I was very concerned about getting the right size and even just putting the thing on and making sure everything was legit. Buying clothes of any sort online is not my gig (never know how anythings going to fit) especially a pair of shorts and cup for $100. I decided to call the number on the website to voice my concerns and to see what kind of operation this company was running. Well the number listed is Craig Diamonds (owner) cell phone. He answered and we chatted about my concerns of size and fit and he assured me that if there was any problem with any of those issues, that Diamond MMA would make it right. So I went ahead and pre-ordered for the next shipment. Craig kept in contact with me thru emails and kept me updated on when I could expect my product. When I did receive my pair (Im 5'10" 175lbs.) I tried them on (size medium shorts) and realized the shorts were a little snug. So I contacted Craig (on his cell phone) and he promptly sent me out a large pair of shorts. Also the cup was a little small so I asked about a super, jumbo, extra large, mammoth cup...just kidding the cup I got fit great (didnt even ask about different size cups:) Now I normally dont get excited about jock straps, compression shorts, or nut cups....but I gotta say this thing is the shit. It stays in place the whole time! It protects everything without any pinching and I have no worries about my sack hanging out underneath. I could have someone punt me in the crotch and I would be able to shake it off. The way the outside edges of the cup sit flush against my body is key. It feels like the power of any shot to the groin is dispersed evenly throughout the cup and I can't feel an pressure on my "junk" nor is it uncomfy to the inside of my thighs. This is truly a revolutionary product, in my opinion it should be required in professional MMA bouts. There would be absolutely no need to stop for any sort of timeout. To be honest the timeouts dont bother me....seeing dudes take shots to the groin and knowing that they could have avoided that pain bothers me...thanks Craig Diamond....I welcome any questions or comments...Im on Facebook (Andy Guzik) ....hit me up if you wanna ask me about any of it or call Craig Diamond, his cell phone number is on the website. I would have included pictures but some kind gentleman already did that on this forum. The only thing see as a "con" for this product would be price. But for something handmade in the USA that protects my baby maker....I'd be down to pay double what he's asking.

So I spoke to Craig Diamond the founder. Things have been nuts (no pun intended) since Joe Rogan mentioned his company/product during some "stray kick to the nuts time outs" recently.

They're currently working on a new batch which I'll get to test out in about 4 weeks. They've tweaked the design a bit to make it easier to load the cup into the shorts, using a softer material for the waist band (thought it was soft already), adding elastic to the leg openings to prevent and bunching, and few other things. The system is great already and I can only imagine how much better it will be with these tweaks. Will post a new review with pics once I've received it.

If you haven't seen this yet, here's a vid of me getting kicked with my current Diamonds on: Nut Check a la Diamond MMA Compression Jock - YouTube

If this shit is half as good as people say I'm getting them pronto. I have the shock docker ones and they suck, it floats and pinches my nards.

If this shit is half as good as people say I'm getting them pronto. I have the shock docker ones and they suck, it floats and pinches my nards.

Try just the jock strap under boxer briefs first. $100 for this is a rip off and a half.

Most of the posts talking this system up have 10 posts or less. Making things a little suspect. Has anyone tried these? If so how have they worked so far. Any floatage at all?

I have been using this system for months and can say it is incredible.

I have tried Shock Doctor, Jaco and many others and this is by far the best.

The cup is the perfect size to fit everything in and does not float around at all. I have used it in training stand-up and ground work which it suits perfectly. Is it a lot of money? Of course but it's a new company who are just starting out so their initial costs will be high but for me it's well worth it to protect my meat and two veg!

Any questions on it please let me know.

MMAWarehouse now carries them. I have one pair and my only problem is that they are too long. I like compression shorts a lot shorter, but I just have to fold them and they are okay.

I'll stick with Shock Doctor and save the $100 purchases for gi's, gloves, etc.

I'll stick with Shock Doctor and save the $100 purchases for gi's, gloves, etc.

Sounds like a good idea. I'm sure your nuts will thank you for buying an inferior product. I for one aint going to skimp on nut protection. I have three pairs of diamonds and one cup (did a deal with Craig the founder). It is hands down the best piece of gear I own.

I went with a shock doctor jock under compressions shirts. I'm happy with the protection. I

'm going to wait these shorts out for a few reviews from people with 10 or more posts.

I went with a shock doctor jock under compressions shirts. I'm happy with the protection. I

'm going to wait these shorts out for a few reviews from people with 10 or more posts.

Check out sherdoger Couzo (over 500 posts) in one of the other Diamond MMA threads. He stands by the same review most of us noobs have.

Back