Did/do videos and online training is a big part of your BJJ game?

Quebec Nick

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I've been training for half a year now and I just started to learn stuff online from scratch (stuff I never saw in class).

At the beginning what we saw in class was enough for me to digest, I went online to see some videos about stuff we already drilled in class, or to see some variants and other ways to teach it. It also helps me to remember it better by having another look at it.

Now, I want to upgrade fast for stuff that I suck at when I'm rolling, I don't really want to wait for it to be the subject in class. Mostly escapes and sweeps. I don't really put a lot of time to learn stuff to attack better because most of the time they have more details and I don't want to take bad habits.

I don't think I'll go as far as trying to learn big chunks of BJJ by myself like a new guard or even new submissions.

So I wanted to know if you guys did / do the same as I do, or if some of you guys have built their game on their own with videos and tutorials.

Of course, it will be a big part of the Bjj game.

I teach like 150 classes and I cannot cover everything.

I encourage students to out source Bjj technique online.

Yes. I train at a Gracie Academy CTC, which includes a free membership to Gracie University. I watch it constantly, every day.

- I reinforce the lessons I do with my instructor the next day by watching the online videos.
- I look for things in my sparring that I didn't quit get, go watch the vids on GU, and then try again when I get the chance
- I watch and look for lessons I haven't done so I'll have something to ask about when we have nights where only a couple of us show up and my instructor asks "since this is a small class, anything you guys want to work on".
- When rolling with a lower belt and they comment on some technique they are having trouble with or something they just barely didn't catch I will advise them to go home and look at it on GU

So yeah, its a big part of my learning WHEN COMBINED WITH GOING TO CLASS SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK.

I am fortunate though that I have access to a full library of technique that is taught almost identical in class as it is on the video so I don't run into "well I saw so and so do it this way", which is one of the big draw backs to online material. Or get into the situation where some white belt watches some super complicated sporty move then start asking dumb questions about it in class before they even know how to shrimp.

Last edited:

You're an accomplished grappler and teacher, is it good for beginners, to start learning high level stuff or more complicated stuff on their own?

Would you be pleased to see one of your white belts trying to worm guard everybody?

Yes. I train at a Gracie Academy CTC, which includes a free membership to Gracie University. I watch it constantly, every day.

- I reinforce the lessons I do with my instructor the next day by watching the online videos.
- I look for things in my sparring that I didn't quit get, go watch the vids on GU, and then try again when I get the chance
- I watch and look for lessons I haven't done so I'll have something to ask about when we have nights where only a couple of us show up and my instructor asks "since this is a small class, anything you guys want to work on".
- When rolling with a lower belt and they comment on some technique they are having trouble with or something they just barely didn't catch I will advise them to go home and look at it on GU

So yeah, its a big part of my learning WHEN COMBINED WITH GOING TO CLASS SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK.

That's really cool that everybody in your academy has access to the same material.

I just got my membership to the Grapplers Guide, but people at my school use all kind of stuff and you can't have that kind of discussions.

That's really cool that everybody in your academy has access to the same material.

I just got my membership to the Grapplers Guide, but people at my school use all kind of stuff and you can't have that kind of discussions.

All Gracie Academy CTC student have access to Gracie University for free BUT only up to their belt level. So white belts only have white belt stuff, 1 Stripe blues only have up to the first stripe material and so on. That way each student basically is "focused" on the material that is appropriate for their level.

However, thats just your "free account". You can opt to continue paying for your online account and have access to everything available, which is what I do. I recently went back to paying (our monthly fees are super low so I still pay less overall than most academies). Good thing is even though I chose to pay for a full access account again, I get 25% off the monthly price.

You're an accomplished grappler and teacher, is it good for beginners, to start learning high level stuff or more complicated stuff on their own?

Would you be pleased to see one of your white belts trying to worm guard everybody?

Stick to the basics, Gracie university is a great place also mginaction... The problem when your a white belt is that you don't really know what to look for and get distracted with fancy stuff.

Stick to the basics.

I would be really impressed.

But he would need to learn de la riva first as I considered it as the continuation of such guard.

I litterally love any guard. I like to study them and learn their pro and cons.

I'm not always using videos, but a huge part of my game is all stuff I've learned from videos. The beauty of jiu jitsu is you'll find out what stuff is garbage and what stuff isn't. A good place to start with videos is when you run into a problem at the gym, find a video to solve that problem, then next time you're at the gym test it to see if it works.

I trained back in '08 when there were no proper bjj school. So online vids was a yuge part of our judo class' impromptu no-gi/bjj learning. Now the city has like 4 blackbelts with schools and affiliates.

It was pretty obvious back when my then purple instructor(now blackbelt 1st degree) was using mginaction for our lessons.

I'm not always using videos, but a huge part of my game is all stuff I've learned from videos. The beauty of jiu jitsu is you'll find out what stuff is garbage and what stuff isn't. A good place to start with videos is when you run into a problem at the gym, find a video to solve that problem, then next time you're at the gym test it to see if it works.

Shoutout to @jaysculls . He was there for us add/adhd kids. @Gerbiljiujitsu and @Aesopian too were a big help. Also the bjj forum of the UG for the drama.

Yes.

There is almost no way your instructor explains moves better or has a better "curriculum" than the Mendes bros or Braulio Estima. If you learn this way though, you have to have a drilling partner and as somebody said it can be hard to pick the right moves.

The best thing about your instructor is that he or she can correct your movements in real time.

You said you wanted more escapes. Imo escapes are hard and even harder against somebody better than you and will almost never work. They all require some strength or cardio and by the time you've been passed those are gone. You're better off practicing keeping the guard.

I learned so much from videos in my first year, class can only cover so much .

I've learned a huge amount from YouTube. It's saved me years of floundering around, both in finding technical solutions to my problems and in finding new techniques to fill openings in my game.

I've been training for half a year now and I just started to learn stuff online from scratch (stuff I never saw in class).

At the beginning what we saw in class was enough for me to digest, I went online to see some videos about stuff we already drilled in class, or to see some variants and other ways to teach it. It also helps me to remember it better by having another look at it.

Now, I want to upgrade fast for stuff that I suck at when I'm rolling, I don't really want to wait for it to be the subject in class. Mostly escapes and sweeps. I don't really put a lot of time to learn stuff to attack better because most of the time they have more details and I don't want to take bad habits.

I don't think I'll go as far as trying to learn big chunks of BJJ by myself like a new guard or even new submissions.

So I wanted to know if you guys did / do the same as I do, or if some of you guys have built their game on their own with videos and tutorials.

So I wanted to know if you guys did / do the same as I do, or if some of you guys have built their game on their own with videos and tutorials.[/QUOTE
Definatley great way to get more time thinking and learning about expanding you're game and I think you can tell in the gym who watches tape and who doesn't . Also I think a lot of white belts that haven't had an athletic backround would strongly benefit from some wrestling technique videos because not every bjj school will teach you that and it certainly comes in handy at that skill level

As someone who has been training for 17 years...yes I learned a ton of stuff through instructional vidoes.

As a lower belt I can contribute the following as an example:

My use of closed guard at blue belt to Baret Yoshida closed guard videos

My use of half guard at blue belt to Gordo half guard videos

My use of x-guard at purple belt to Marcelo Garcia videos

And more.

As someone who has been training for 17 years...yes I learned a ton of stuff through instructional vidoes.

As a lower belt I can contribute the following as an example:

My use of closed guard at blue belt to Baret Yoshida closed guard videos

My use of half guard at blue belt to Gordo half guard videos

My use of x-guard at purple belt to Marcelo Garcia videos

And more.

Hello Jay,

I just, subscribed to your website and that's what made me start this thread

I was binging videos like it was Game of Thrones, and then I asked myself if I was doing it right.

I go to class 4 times a week + at least 1 open mat, I have a lot of respect for my instructor (who BTW encourage me to learn by myself) and I was thinking, who am I to start learning by my own, is it too soon for a whitebelt like me?

I used to do a lot of kickboxing and I never wanted to go see tutorials online, I knew that I just had to drill the basics in class and that would be enough. I would learn a new kick or combo from time to time in class and it would be stupid to try to learn it in videos.

As I see in this thread answers, grappling is so vast that you can't wait for your instructor to have classes covering every subjects in a short time frame. Everybody had to learn by themselves at some point and there's no shame in it.

And also, I want you to know that I really enjoy the Grapplers Guide, it's very well built for someone like me who wants to patch specific stuff in their game.

I was getting sidemounted, northsouthed, knee-on the bellied and then mounted all the time by higher belts and I had no clue how to deal with that. I didn't want to have a 100% success guaranteed technique, I just wanted something logic to try. I just watched the videos on the subject and now I'm a lot more active down there. It doesn't work all the time but at least I make them work for it!!!

I think you have to pick your spots on what you learn from videos. If you're 1.5 years in, you're probably at a point where you can start to assess moves on your own and pick some things up from videos, but you'll still want to get a lot of feedback from your coach to make sure you're missing key points of the moves. In general, video stuff is a great supplement to class but should be used as a supplement and not a replacement. I've picked up tons of great ideas over the years from videos, but the core of my game is stuff I've worked out from class, seminars, and videos all with a lot of consultation with my coach and other experienced guys. So use them as a starting point, learning reinforcement, and to patch holes in your game, but don't try to use them as a replacement for personal instruction because they're not great for that. You still need feedback.

Absolutely. These days I don't go out of my way to watch anything that's not rolling or competition from someone I'm a fan of, but instructionals were a huge part of my development. Especially at blue belt I sort of think everyone goes through an instructional/technique collecting phase to help find what works for them.

Probably I am out of the topic but which streaming search engine do you use?

Back