Did kung fu not get a fair shake?

ROY-NELSON-1.jpg

During the cultural revolution, legitimate combat arts were banned and the government created wish, which is more like Gymnastics than anything else. Not surprised that a country with such a rich history of martial art have no representatives today.

do you really think the Chinese used kung fu in wars?

No that's not the point the point I was making is the fact that the country men that had incredible armies and war strategist would also be capable of using their intelligence to create an unarmed fighting styles.

Kung Fu became illegal and got eradicated (practitioners executed) during the historically recent Mao communist takeover.

So what we have left is pretty watered down, incomplete and pieced together. No doubt it would work a lot better if that hadn't happened.
QUOTE]
Could they stop the double? Didn't think so.
Speeit via Sub

No that's not the point the point I was making is the fact that the country men that had incredible armies and war strategist would also be capable of using their intelligence to create an unarmed fighting styles.

Xingyi is based off the spear. Plenty of swords in the arts

At this point they only train skill and not functionality....at least 99.9% of them

A lot of people believe that Karate is more of a weapons art than a empty hand art

Could they stop the double? Didn't think so.
Speeit via Sub

Sanda/Sanshou incorporates standing grappling and uses a lot of throws so it is very, very possible they might stop the double leg, just like a judo guy

Sanda incorporates standing grappling and uses a lot of throws so it is very, very possible they might stop the double leg, just like a judo guy
I'll pull guard then. Kung fu is gay

I think it did, but just not anymore, as before the 90s an Asian guy could tell people they do Kung Fu and nobody would even think of fucking with them.

I remember watching a interview of Jet Li somewhere, I think in the extras for cradle 2 the grave where he said he would get thrashed in real MMA

But karate literally means "empty hand"

Yeah. The people who developed it were looking to make an empty hand art but they knew more about weapons and some basic grappling than striking.

With Xingyi, it is well known that it comes from the spear.

Kung Fu became illegal and got eradicated (practitioners executed) during the historically recent Mao communist takeover.

So what we have left is pretty watered down, incomplete and pieced together. No doubt it would work a lot better if that hadn't happened.

I think sanshou/sanda (similar to Muay Thai but with throws) still works pretty good today on account of it having spread to the backwoods of other countries before the purge so it never was even interrupted.

Sanda was a result of the purge. The Chinese commies were inspired by the Russians with their sambo and wanted to create its equivalent so they meshed what was felt was the best of kung fu with western boxing and voila you have sanda

Sanda was a result of the purge. The Chinese commies were inspired by the Russians with their sambo and wanted to create its equivalent so they meshed what was felt was the best of kung fu with western boxing and voila you have sanda

That's true semantically but the moves were based on Sanshou. Nearby countries (not subject to a purge) had also already kept the skills and ruleset under different names (such as Bando) in actual inter-village competitions so it was easy to reinstate and little or nothing was lost.

Last edited:
Kung Fu got its shit shook out of it is what happened.

I remember watching a interview of Jet Li somewhere, I think in the extras for cradle 2 the grave where he said he would get thrashed in real MMA

I remember that. He was talking about the scene with him fighting UFC fighters. To be fair he said he would get trashed by guys like Randy and tito not all MMA fighters. That and he was being polite.

I remember that. He was talking about the scene with him fighting UFC fighters. To be fair he said he would get trashed by guys like Randy and tito not all MMA fighters. That and he was being polite.
Polite? Nah. He was keeping it real.

Wars in China weren't fought by Kung Fu masters, they were fought by soldiers with weapons.

Polite? Nah. He was keeping it real.

Karo parisyan mentioned how impressive Randy was with his kicking ability.

Wars in China weren't fought by Kung Fu masters, they were fought by soldiers with weapons.

Kung fu masters have weapon training. They know warfare. My point is back then people challenged you to death. Which means you couldn't bullshit your way out of a fight.

Back