Did Ortega bought into his hype like Ngannou did?

Whittaker is up there but people actually had Max as the underdog even though he dominated the greatest 145er of all time and one of the best fighters of all time in Aldo.

TBF, that probably also had to do with people questioning Max' health not necessarily his skills.

Ortega has been beaten up in almost every fight until he isn't. Always take alot og damage. Always loses rounds.
He got finishing abilities and great jiu jutsi. But easy match for Holloway

Nah, Ortega's pretty legit.

He just ran into one of the best FW's.

Losing to a Champion doesn't automatically mean you're overhyped or done. Just ask DC

disagree. it wasn't even a close fight he got toyed with in there

Nah, Francis should have lost his title fight 50-30. He did nothing in that fight. Ortega held his own for a while. There were a few times in the fight where he was hitting Max and gainng some ground. Ortega kept his head above water - Francis jumped into a pool, sank like a rock and died at the bottom.

The only ridiculous thing I thought was that Holloway was the underdog, its madness. Its like the betting companies are deliberately trying to close down. Their resumes are night and day, Holloway has fought way better guys and looked way better too. Ortega was still very unproven, especially in the striking where I seen him get lit up a lot.

this is my own opinion but it was based on observations of ortega in interviews and the embedded leading up to the fight that i knew we would not win this especially in a long fight. first you see it multiple times in his facial expressions.
He was exerting to much energy on multiple occasions while cutting weight, exposing himself to extreme temperature changes despite being in a weakened state with a compromised immune system and had way to many hulk out a yell/ flex moments and i think all of this added up and lead to him not being fully loose and fresh on fight night. you could tell he needed to relax more, rener increased his stiffness by forcing him to stay in the water and use to much energy while cutting weight interacting with kids and stuff. someone needed to pull him back a little bit not push him forward.
i predict a lot of fights this way. observing behaviors up until fight night during the week before and end up being right 95% of the time and i think thats due to how mental the fight game. could be wrong. Maybe ortega was at his best and max is just that good but i think a rematch would go much different if his prep was more relaxed the week of the fight.

Nah, Francis should have lost his title fight 50-30. He did nothing in that fight. Ortega held his own for a while. There were a few times in the fight where he was hitting Max and gainng some ground. Ortega kept his head above water - Francis jumped into a pool, sank like a rock and died at the bottom.
the first round of NGannou vs Miocic was competitive, Ortega had a good 3rd round(I think it was) but both fight were pretty one-sided in favor of the champ and Ngannou didn't took half the damage Ortega took

There was undfounded hype behind Francis. He was a good striker with insane power, but he had a gaping hole in his game when it came to grappling. Ortega is very well rounded. Max was able to outstrike him and outlast him, but that isn't because Ortega has a weakness it's because Max is simply the best right now

Lol how so? Most think he lost his last fight. He even looked shocked when he was announced winner. Holloway looks invincible. You trolling?

It was a very close fight, I was rooting for Yoel like most people but it wasn't a robbery, also Whitaker have beaten everybody he was supposed to lose and already beat Yoel before

Trying to find a comparison between Ortega and NGanou that I think is legit and I can’t. I don’t even think the UFC got behind Ortega like they did Francis.

Ortega is a the real deal, Francis will never be more than a gatekeeper. A guy that knocks out lower level heavyweights in dramatic fashion, but never beats a top guy.
Are not Alistair and Blades top guys?

Both yes and no.

Yes i´m the diplomatic here

Are not Alistair and Blades top guys?

I don’t consider Blades a top guy. Alistair is an interesting discussion. He seems to be a broken fighter who to his credit has adjusted his strategy to make up for it. Clearly Overeems chin is suspect. Francis caught him and put him to sleep, but so has Travis Brown, Ben Rothwell and Bigfoot Silva. Feel like anyone that catches Reem with a solid shot now is looking at a big career win.

Ngannou was way more overhyped. His game is based on his power. Ortega has more technique and abilties.

It's all relative. Ngannou is always a threat, anytime, to anyone.

Ortega was never a real threat to Holloway in that fight and was an impotent, gassed out punching bag by the start of the championship rounds.

He didn't get to use his grappling at all.

I think Ortega is entertaining and a respectable lower-tier top-5.

But yeah, he was overhyped as hell.

I don’t consider Blades a top guy. Alistair is an interesting discussion. He seems to be a broken fighter who to his credit has adjusted his strategy to make up for it. Clearly Overeems chin is suspect. Francis caught him and put him to sleep, but so has Travis Brown, Ben Rothwell and Bigfoot Silva. Feel like anyone that catches Reem with a solid shot now is looking at a big career win.
I agree

I feel both situations very similar for the following reasons:

- both were insanely hyped
- both champs were underdogs
- they both dispatched the #1 contender easily before fighting for the belt
- both were getting insane amount of attention
- champs were vastly overlooked

Ortega might not have been as vocal as Ngannou but he looked extremely confident and relaxed during the build up even talking about fighting Khabib next if he would have won

ortega actually said before the fight that even if he loses, hes already won, because of where he used to be in life and where he is now. dude is pretty humble.

meanwhile ngannou was going out of his way to show everyone that his penis is bigger than an entire mma goat, mighty mouse

Feel like Francis had a lot mroe hype, but yeah I see the comparison.

Doesn't mean he bought into it - he could have just been easily outclassed by the better guy.

Got that feeling - pics with models, actors, GQ magazine videos, etc - lost focus and believed he was the next king at 145.

Hopefully that beating was not too hard on his brain and he comes back. That was on par with what Cain did JDS twice.

Back