Did your parents WANT you to move out of the house or not?

joining the military was the best decision of my life. a buddy of mine in HS was supposed to join with me under the buddy program but knocked up his gf and pussed out. it's been a little over 20 years since i graduated from boot camp and my old buddies are still in the same town, doing the same thing (absolutely nothing).

military helped me mature as a person and gave me some focus/direction. even though i didnt stay in, i acquired a set of skills that translated to a govt job that is paying very well.

my advice to you young guys is that if you have a decent head on your shoulders and dont have any options after hs, try the military. 4 years may seam like a long time but it goes by in the blink of an eye. you can learn a trade, get well connected, get the GI bill that can pay for your college with a housing allowance(i was getting 3200 a month for going to school full time in hawaii)

That's awesome man. My bro took advantage of the GI bill as well. He was stationed at Camp Lejeune before he went to Japan. He's been all over the world it seems compared to myself.

It was 30 years ago when I was 18...

I could NOT wait to get out of the house! I went to college 1000 miles away from my home town for the first year. I lived with my grandmother while commuting to college. She gave me lots of space.

I moved back for the summer between my freshman and sophomore years, but once school started back, this time 45 miles away from home, I was gone again. I worked graveyard shift that summer, and my home was just a place to crash. When I got up, I left to go hang with my friends, went to work, and then crashed while they were home.

Once I discovered the college work-study program, I didn't go back home except for once or twice a year. I stayed in my apartment, made new friends, and had a great time.

My mom would have driven me away if I wasn't so eager to get the fuck away from her. (She was a life-long alcoholic, and a mean drunk, too).

lol im almost 40 and still live with my mom and dad. free rent suckers! i only work 3 part time shifts a week but i always have plenty of cash for fentanyl patches and off brand smokes. scukers.

lol im almost 40 and still live with my mom and dad. free rent suckers! i only work 3 part time shifts a week but i always have plenty of cash for fentanyl patches and off brand smokes. scukers.

This guy gets it.

Lol @ manning up and blowing money on rent

Not sure. My dad say I'd be back so maybe he didn't want me to live in the house but he certainly didn't think I could make it on my own. Because I'm a bad ass I never had to move back in with him unfortunately for my sister she did have to let me live with her for a bit.

Moved out at 19 for uni.

Moved back at 27 for a year to help save my deposit then bought my own place, longest year of my life.

Moved out for grad school but I'd intended to move back right after. Never did since life went a different direction. But my parents wouldn't have cared if I moved back. They'd already moved to Florida and left the other house empty for me and my brothers.

I'm Asian, so no. Never had the problem like you guys. LOSER!

When I was 18 I went to live with my dad in a small country town of 500 people, after 3 weeks of living with him and his girlfriend. He literaly put me in the car and drove me around to peoples houses that he knew untill he found me somewhere to live and that was it he moved me out and I lived to older guys (40+) that liked to drink and paty.

left when i was 18, with a bag of clothes and the equivalent of 100 dollars in my pocket, moved to another city.
nobody had a say in my decision except me.

i find it hard to believe people actually rationalize staying home until they are almost 25-30 cause "they save on the rent". fucks sake. jerk off and save the dating money. yeah, same logic. grow a pair and be a man.

Pretty sure historicall it's very normal to stay with one's family. It's not prominent in other cultures. So the rational for staying has been there for centuries and is still there in hundreds of countries. Not saying it's a good or bad thing, but your opinion needs some nuances.

I got an older girlfriend when I was 18 and just started staying the night at her house more and more until it was like I didn't even live at home anymore. Then I dumped her 3 years later and stayed home for like a couple months, then ran off with another chick and got married. Never went home again.

I'm terrified that my son won't want to ever leave. I've told him that I'm going to kick him out when he's old enough, but I don't know if I'll actually have the stones to do it. He's a great kid and I love having him around but I just know that he won't fully grow up until he's forced to.

They didn’t care as long as I had a job and pulled my weight around.

They did til I was gone. Moved out at 23. Now they'd rather have me back lol

It is much higher if you count 25 to 27 and 25 to 29 year range. after that it drops off heavily. i imagine rest of world similar except anglo and germanic countries

image-447811-galleryV9-fcmy.jpg

That is basically a marker of good vs bad economies lol. Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Austria, UK, Ireland, France, Holland, Belgium good. Rest are poor or struggling.

My mom flooded the basement along with my anime collection so I guess that was a good sign.

Well... I'm currently living with my parents and it's really nice. My mom has a neurological disorder not unlike Parkinson's and my dad still travels a lot for work so the thought of my mom home alone is kind of scary. I know for a fact they are both very happy I decided to move home a few months ago. Plus, I'm about to start a really intense post grad program and I'll have NO social life anyways so it doesn't matter where I live. Might as well save some money.

But once school is over, I'll probably move back out ASAP for everyones sanity.

My mom is Asian so of course she did not want me to move out. I am the oldest but I was actually the last one to move out. My mom took it very hard when all of the kids were gone but after almost 10 years she is now loving the semi-retired life with my dad.

Left when I was 18 and wasn't allowed back cause my dad got a new wife and she's a cunt

Back