Different Kinds of Muay Thai Knees

AndyMaBobs

Sherdog Retiree
@Brown
Reaction score
Sylvie Duuglas-Ittu is the most prolific female muay thai fighter out there, being the first woman to compete in over a hundred and fifty fights in Thailand and is working towards two hundred. She's the number 5 p4p woman in Thailand and is trained by both Pi Nu and Sakmongkol in Pattaya. She's also fairly interesting in that she is a female fighter who excels in the clinch which is not particularly common, especially not in Thailand.

As part of her website and her training she's travelled across Thailand and has trained with Rambaa Somdet, Dieselnoi, Burklek, Yodkhunpon amongst others and has posted the videos online for everyone to watch. I decided to post this particular video here as a lot of people very often throw just one type of knee.

This frustrates me a lot as knees are one of the most versatile weapons you can use in muay thai, which makes it sad to see most westerners throwing the exact same type of thrust knee or weak slapping knee. In this video and breakdown Sylvie shows the various types of knees that she's been taught by pro fighters and how to execute them on the bag.

Here is her breakdown of the knees from her website:

----------------------------------
Straight, Lean Back Knee

The first knee is the first kind I was ever taught, which is a very long knee with a lean back. The knee comes out quite straight, the heel of your foot on that same leg should be up as close to your butt as possible, and you point your toes (note: some trainers emphasize that the foot should be to the outside, this angles the knee inward, I do not do this in the video – if you are going to not lean back, you do need to put the foot to the outside). To get the lean back you have to, well, lean back with your chest facing up to the ceiling and driving with power from your hips. This knee requires a good, long step forward with your standing leg and a nice guard. There is also a short-range version of almost the exact same motion, which you can throw when your arms are engaged in the clinch. Your step is much shorter or your just jump instead, like how you do jumping knees as a drill on the bag.

Stabbing Knee

The “see-ahp” knee is a straight knee that is half a lean back and half a pulling your opponent into the knee. You want to pull your opponent toward the knee as you drive the hip forward and you can kind of “spear” them on the knee as you do so. You can bring your knee up high, into the Solar Plexus, for initial impact and then drag that sucker down the torso to really put some pain and agony into your opponent. The lean back on this one is more gradual as the knee is going forward, I often compare it to “whoa-ing” a horse. You know, when you are sitting on a horse and you want it to stop so you pull back on the reigns (that’s your chest going back and the arms pulling the opponent’s arms in).

Chicken-Wing Knee

For “chicken wing” knees on the ribs, you do the same skip knees that you do on a bag but instead of hitting the center of the bag (or your opponent’s belly) you hit up in the ribcage, or side of the bag. This doesn’t require a lot of power and you can do them quickly and repeatedly, which tires your opponent out quickly. Make sure you keep your hips in though, you don’t have to pull them back to land this knee – it’s for scoring in close clinching. You can practice these knees in clinching as well, but use the inside of your thigh to make contact rather than your knee so you don’t hurt your training partners and make them hate you (and me by proxy). But when you get into a fight, you use that kneecap!

Cross-Hatch Knee (Yodkhunpon)

Yodkhunpon’s “cross hatch” knees. Yodkhunpon is known as the “Elbow Hunter of 100 Stitches” because he sliced up his opponents so badly and so regularly. In my private with him he grabbed my neck in the clinch and landed some of the most horrifying-yet-softly-applied knees I’ve ever experienced. If he’d done so with any regular power, I’d have been done for. He doesn’t like the lean back on knees, as he says it leaves you open to elbows. I reckon he’s the man to believe about when you’re open to elbows. But his knees are pretty much a tight, inside knee that comes almost across your own body. It’s very similar to a kick, actually, but with shorter (bent) limbs. The same way your elbows come across your body with a rotation of the hips, your knees come across your body with the rotation of the hips. Yodkhunpon keeps his hips away from his opponent when he’s engaged in clinching, which is an unusual position to take. He locks up around the head, like horns on a bull, and then keeps a small distance with his hips so he can lean into the head/neck and elbow when the person’s head pops up (when their hips come in); then he knees when their hips go back to protect their head from the elbows.

Sky-Piercing Knee (Dieselnoi)

Dieselnoi, the absolute King of Knees, has a slightly similar take on knees to Yodkhunpon, but instead of coming across the body he creates a kind of “pincer” movement between his upper body and his knee. Like Pacman or a giant, mandibled insect; or, if you like the reference, Blanka from Street Fighter’s head biting. I put up a video of Dieslnoi’s knees and quite a few commenters complained that his knees appeared to be coming straight up, which they’ve been corrected away from. There are subtleties to his technique and his shin is somewhat vertical, but that’s because his marching knees are also a block at the same time. But his hips are absolutely engaged and when he gets close enough or your back is on the ropes, his knees are swinging up into you with incredible power and height. His nickname was the “sky piercer” because those knees are so damn high. For this knee the variation from Yodkhunpon’s cross-hatch knee is that you drive pretty much forward, as you would in a lean back knee, but you pull your upper body in rather than leaning it back, so no power is redirected from the knee. It’s so powerful. But because you’re not leaning back, which offers some extension for range, you need to be really close; and you need to have a good guard because the lean back helps protect you from punches. Dieselnoi had his lock on the head already for these knees, which there isn’t a lot of punching out of.

So, that’s a rundown of a variation of knees, and surely there are many others, and small variations within. The knee you use depends on your own preferences, your own style, what your opponent is doing, and more than anything: what you train. As Andy at Lanna always said to me, “the only bad technique is the one you don’t train.” So try them all, play with them and figure out what context and what technique makes you happy. Then make your opponent very unhappy with it.

--------------------------------

The rest of the article and more like it can be found here:
http://8limbs.us/sylvies-tips/sylvies-tips-different-kinds-muay-thai-knees

This is my favourite website as far as learning about muay thai is concerned, it gives a great look at Thai culture surrounding fights, the technique used and numerous fight videos with Sylvie's own commentary breaking them down.

As a side note I haven't asked permission to share any of this, but I thought it would be a good thread to post.

As for the actual knee strikes themselves, despite being a shorter guy (5'6) I personally find the Dieselnoi style knees are my favourite, I like to be in the clinch and I have the most success with these due to the short range that they can come up from meaning I don't need to step back against my opponents strength to strike with a knee. Mixing them up with other knee strikes is obviously a given but those are my particular favourites.

That and they can be used for some nice knee combinations like this:
Dieselnoi-Kick-Counter-Knee.gif

Nice breakdown, actually I learned quite a lot from this and it made me look at knees differently.

As for the actual knee strikes themselves, despite being a shorter guy (5'6) I personally find the Dieselnoi style knees are my favourite, I like to be in the clinch and I have the most success with these due to the short range that they can come up from meaning I don't need to step back against my opponents strength to strike with a knee. Mixing them up with other knee strikes is obviously a given but those are my particular favourites.

That and they can be used for some nice knee combinations like this:
Dieselnoi-Kick-Counter-Knee.gif

Oh I remember you, isn't that your girlfriend? She's so far out of your league. :)

Oh my bad, I was thinking of someone else who was training their girlfriend in MT and posted a video.

Oh my bad, I was thinking of someone else who was training their girlfriend in MT and posted a video.

Haha, no worries. If I do coach my girlfriend to have over 150 fights then I will brag about it all day :D

Thanks for sharing. Worth the read and the watch.

She's the woman in all those vids with Master K, right?

Nice video.

That woman's a badass. If I saw her walking down the street I wouldn't for a moment think she was capable of that.

Knees are my favorite aspect of Muay Thai, it's why I want to train it so bad.

They also happen too be the thing that's scariest about Muay Thai too me as it's a very powerful strike(but this is also why I like them). They're just very cool, the way they look and feel when you throw them...

Last edited:
Mighty mouse is the king of chickenwing knees in the cage.

Mighty mouse is the king of chickenwing knees in the cage.

That's one of the things I like about him, he is a much closer to a proper muay thai clincher despite not really being known as it. He actually uses a lot of different tricks in the clinch that before I'd only seen Overeem and Matt Brown do. It's really cool to see a good clincher in MMA, especially when the majority just try to get a double collar how Silva would

really nice breakdown. im not a huge fan of her fight style,. but i just resubbed, she has good info and nice explanation style.

who else is in this nak muay nation club? im already subbed to sean :eek::eek::eek:an and lawrence kenshin

really nice breakdown. im not a huge fan of her fight style,. but i just resubbed, she has good info and nice explanation style.

who else is in this nak muay nation club? im already subbed to sean :eek::eek::eek:an and lawrence kenshin
Honestly, no idea, but I would recommend looking at The Warrior Collective and MyFightGym if you're into those sort of groups

That's one of the things I like about him, he is a much closer to a proper muay thai clincher despite not really being known as it. He actually uses a lot of different tricks in the clinch that before I'd only seen Overeem and Matt Brown do. It's really cool to see a good clincher in MMA, especially when the majority just try to get a double collar how Silva would

Him and Jones are the best two clinchers in MMA. I find it interesting that both of them recently beat Olympic wrestlers in the clinch.

Him and Jones are the best two clinchers in MMA. I find it interesting that both of them recently beat Olympic wrestlers in the clinch.

I'll probably sound like a douche here, but much like Nate Diaz "I'm not surprised motherfuckers"

Purely because while the takedowns and scramble of wrestling are obviously huge assets to have, and wrestling is a great base, wrestlers don't actually spend as much time standing in the clinch as you'd expect and it's not as tight as what Muay Thai clinching often is.

That and the way that MM clinches is foreign to most wrestlers. As for Jon Jones I think it's because he does a lot of his work not actually while clinched but with his head shoved up against their chest. Gennady Golovkin does the exact same thing but with punches instead of elbows, I do think Jones has great in fighting but I wouldn't describe it as a great clinch game so much as he's great at hitting his way out of clinches.

Must admit, my money for the best clincher is probably Overeem, he has clinching a lot like a thai in that he uses a lot of sweeps and throws over the knee, as well as the knee strikes :D

yeah reem is the best in the clinch. he is the most devastating too (well he's heavyweight, but still)

As a side note I haven't asked permission to share any of this, but I thought it would be a good thread to post.

Hey, thanks for the share! Always glad to have the knowledge and experience spread. I'm just trying to be a link in a chain connecting what others have taught and shown me to others who might not have had the chance yet. Thanks for being a close reader.

Back