Dillashaw: "the UFC never granted a zero title defense champion an immediate rematch.."

He'll get a rematch when he can block JCVD's head kicks.

Conor got a rematch with Diaz after he got choked the fk out.

You keep talking about Belfort vs Couture II and Holloway vs Aldo II as examples when they're not good ones. Garbrandt didn't lose to a doctor's stoppage, he got fucking finished. IF Dillashaw was slated to face someone else and that person gets injured and in steps Garbrandt, fine. But to have a Dillashaw vs Garbrandt II straight off the bat, it doesn't make sense. Either Dillashaw vs Cruz II or Dillashaw vs Johnson.
I never said they were good examples, just examples that disprove Dillashaw's absolute statement. I also never argued for Garbrandt to receive a rematch (note: I said after a couple of wins this year). However, Dillashaw can hardly argue that Rivera doesn't deserve a title shot, and there's an argument for Cruz to receive a title shot; Rivera and Cruz deserve a title shot more than Dillashaw deserves one against DJ, that much is clear.

He got knocked out! It wasn't a close decision, he lost brutally! Why do people like Rivera, Assuncao, Moraes etc just get skipped over?
You didnt watch the fight. He embarrased TJ in the first round.. he dominated the first round. Yes, the first round wasn't even close. He got caught in the second, it happens. Happened to Aldo, GSP, DC, Cain, etc.. and yet they all are still considered legends. Being finished in a fighting sport, is a reality of it for 99% of the fighters calling it career. The others you mention are not getting title shots just yet because they aren't the draw that Cody is, plus Rivera ducks fights the UFC offers, Moraes is building his name and Assuncao hasnt really looked that great recently, etc.. If Cruz was healthy, he would be getting a push too, but he's not healthy just yet. Nobody talks about Conor getting a rematch vs Nate, begging for it and in doing so promising Nate an immediate rematch for a third fight if Conor won the second.

You keep talking about Belfort vs Couture II and Holloway vs Aldo II as examples when they're not good ones. Garbrandt didn't lose to a doctor's stoppage, he got fucking finished.
just to reiterate, TS didn't ask about a comparison. he asked a simple question.

and somewhere between your eyes and your brain, you changed that simple question and added extra criteria to it.

TS asked "is it true that the UFC never granted a zero title defense champion an immediate rematch"

you apparently decided to answer a different question, and then complain that other answers weren't similar to yours.

but one reason they weren't similar is because they are answering the question that was asked, and you aren't.

do you understand? probably not. i'll let you try to get a last word in, b/c i'm sure you're going to want to. good luck, kid.

"The UFC never..." is not an argument for anything.

It was a doctor's stoppage due to a cut. Garbrandt got KTFOed. Completely fucking different. I can't believe you're comparing these two.

I’m not comparing them. I’m merely finding a record of an instance in which a champion with no defenses lost the title and got an immediate rematch. It’s trivia sparked by something TJ said that I initially didn’t believe to be true but found to be true for the most part..except one instance in which it did happen. I nor the other poster weren’t commentating on whether or not Randy deserved the rematch(obviously he did) or Cody deserves it(doesn’t).

Once again, it was just interesting trivia. Most people who clicked on the thread likely immediately tried to think of or find an instance where a champion with zero title defenses lost their title and got an immediate rematch. Randy Couture vs Vitor Belfort was that situation regardless of circumstances and is the correct answer to the question that likely popped in most people mind when reading the thread title. Obviously, you’re not one of them.

Dillashaw recently said this about Cody. Is this true? I keep trying to think of a champion but none comes to mind.

Would you want to see this rematch with Garbrandt? I honestly would rather see this than Dilly vs MM.
Not true.. Max vs Aldo 2, yes Aldo was a fill in. But.. it still fits the question asked.

I would like to see the rematch, being I think TJ gets finished next time around, nor do I think TJ deserves DJ at 125.

Cody is the new UFC posterchild for Butthurt.

He can't get over TJ ruining his perfect record.

He is also suffering from I was winning until I lost.

He also can't get the picture of TJ searing his soul after burning his body out of his mind.

He is also pissed at the idea of TJ's stock rising by beating the unbeatable mouse.

He got knocked out! It wasn't a close decision, he lost brutally! Why do people like Rivera, Assuncao, Moraes etc just get skipped over?
Their striking is comparable, it could have easily gone the other way imo. You don't think Cody deserves a rematch? He got caught, but that was an even and entertaining fight prior to.

A champion on a 0 defence streak shouldn't be calling out the record holder either, especially one from a lower weight class.
He shouldn't have even lost the belt to begin with.

Cody getting a instant rematch would be ridiculous. He didn't even really earn his first shot at the belt and only won the title by decision. Make him work, he's an exciting fighter. Give him some fun matchups and build the hype for TJ/Cody 2.

3 straight first round TKOs in 2016 and you think he DIDN'T earn his shot?

GTFO of here kid

Why don’t they try to make it TJ versus Cruz? Cruz is supposed to be back soon and he has a win over TJ.

Why would Cruz get a title shot? He fights about as often as Cain and got absolutely demolished against Cody.

There's no point to an immediate rematch when you have the obvious next title challenger in Rivera. A Cody/Cruz rematch makes more sense.

TJ vs MM or TJ vs Cruz are only fights to make.

TJ KO'd Cody, he doesn't deserve a rematch.

Cody does deserve a title shot if he beats a top opponent in his next fight though.

Listen TJ, they prefer Garbrandt to you, just accept it.

Cody getting an immediate rematch is nonsense. I don’t care if Dana wants to punish TJ and deny him the DJ fight. Cool go ahead. But there’s plenty of top guys that TJ can defend against. Marlon Moraes is a killer. Jimmie Rivera is more deserving than Cody.

I hate all these instant rematches and hoped they died in 2016-2017. Cody doesn't deserve it. He didn't really earn the first title shot to begin with which was already stated and got knocked out in his first defense.

On the other hand, I believe TJ would hand him his ass again, especially if the fight happens too soon. He refuses to accept his loss as his own fault and has himself convinced that the first fight was a fluke. All while TJ is steadily improving his game. TJ is already the more complete fighter.

If Cody continues to deny defeat and use it to better himself, he's destined to get his ass whooped again. It's not like he wasn't KO'd stiff before TJ anyways. He's not invincible. He's clearly full of shit and a complete meat head. TJ is too smart for him.

A champion on a 0 defence streak shouldn't be calling out the record holder either, especially one from a lower weight class.

Him going down in weight to the lower division imo is different than just calling out the lower weight class champion.

Back