Dillashaw trying to pick on smaller guys

flowoftruth

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
normally fighters talk about going up in weight to challenge themselves... doesn't it seem like a weak move to want to drain urself so u can take a belt from a tiny person ?

I thought it was pretty ballsy. Mighty mouse was #1 p4p at the time.

Similar level of challenge as Forrest fighting Anderson Silva

if you can make the weight it's fair game. now fuck off with this crap. you people are getting annoying with this

normally fighters talk about going up in weight to challenge themselves... doesn't it seem like a weak move to want to drain urself so u can take a belt from a tiny person ?

Yep is kind off a bitch move on his part, and before the mm hate brigade comes and point out Cody's weight, it doesn't matter you go running to the lower class but rise to the bigger one to challenge yourself

Yes its a bitch move, whether he can make the weight or not. You don't chase belts in lower weight classes, you challenge up in weight against stiffer competition

DJ weighs the same as Cody on fight day, so no. That’s why I’ve always thought 10 pound weight difference in weight divisions is too small. A lot of times there’s no major difference in size between two divisions that close. It’s just about who can cut weight better.

Yes. I don't think he beats Max or Ortega at 145 though...Sigh, everyone is trying to chase that champ champ status.

I thought it was pretty ballsy. Mighty mouse was #1 p4p at the time

Size matters a lot more in the lighter weight classes. Dj got manhandled by Cruz and brad pickett previously. He knew full well its not as easy as with bigger guys

As long as he can make the weight, which he said he can do easily, I do not see a problem. He is dropping down a weight class, not asking a smaller guy to come up or a catch weight.

i mean they are all cutting weight. also the weight class didnt exist before, so fair game for tj. hes already really small anyways.

Yep is kind off a bitch move on his part, and before the mm hate brigade comes and point out Cody's weight, it doesn't matter you go running to the lower class but rise to the bigger one to challenge yourself

That’s just bullshit. People who think like you have no place in the sport. True fight fans just want to see the best fights possible (that are within reasonable weight ranges). Martial arts nor the UFC was never about fighting people EXACTLY your size. The only people who don’t want to see TJ vs DJ and whine about “bullying” like we are on Dr. Phil, is DJ, his manager, and his most hardcore fans who lick his sweaty balls.

You speak as if this is unusual. Randy Couture, B.J.Penn, Kenny Florian, Rashad Evans, Vitor Belfort, Lyoto Machida, Diego Sanchez come immediately to mind as doing this and I could go on and on. Many times its a step up in competition when a fighter steps down in weight class. A pertinent fact that you seem to be overlooking is that the fighter himself has to shrink his body to fight with the smaller guys, and rest assured, there are plenty of guys waiting for him who themselves have shrunk their bodies from a naturally larger size as well. So, to answer your question, no, it does not seem like a bitch move.

You speak as if this is unusual. Randy Couture, B.J.Penn, Kenny Florian, Rashad Evans, Vitor Belfort, Lyoto Machida, Diego Sanchez...I could go on and on. Many times its a step up in competition when a fighter steps down in weight class.

not when you're talking about the flyweights tho. its not exactly a stacked division

oh the humanity, an 8 pound difference

T.J. Dillashaw (135 pounds to 149.5 pounds = 10.7%) def. Cody Garbrandt (134.7 to 142 = 5.2%)

Henry Cejudo (124.5 to 141 = 12.8%) def. Demetrious Johnson (125 to 142 = 13.6%)

Last edited:
You speak as if this is unusual. Randy Couture, B.J.Penn, Kenny Florian, Rashad Evans, Vitor Belfort, Lyoto Machida, Diego Sanchez come immediately to mind as doing this and I could go on and on. Many times its a step up in competition when a fighter steps down in weight class.

The circumstance is with a reigning champ chasing a belt in a lower division. If you can't see how fucking retarded that is then you're obviously new to combat sports.

A lot of people over the years said dj was p4p best. But everyone that said forgot he got his asshanded to him at 135 and ran to 125. Since he wanted claim he was best fighter and don’t want test himself at 135 again. Tj just wanted shut him up and go down beat his ass.

not when you're talking about the flyweights tho. its not exactly a stacked division
Ok, but you based the 'bitch' aspect on body size in your original post. If you want to base it on a significant step down in skill level in the different weight class, there may be more merit to that argument but that is a different discussion.

Back