Discussion: Robberies that weren't robberies in retrospect.

Sanchez vs Kampmann was just awful. How is that not a robbery but GSP/Hendricks is? I scored that fight for Johny but it was close
Agreed. I had Kampmann winning easily over Sanchez. Hendricks - GSP was close particularly scoring round by round. I had Hendricks 3 - 2, but when you have very close rounds it can yield a different result than if you simply voted at the end of 15 or 25 minutes who won vs. round by round scoring.

GSP/Hendricks

Thought it was a draw on fight night. After a rewatch I give it to GSP. Hendricks didn't get really robbed considering I never thought he did enough to walk away with the title. The decision as it stands now is correct.

You didn't have Round 4 as a 10-8 when you watched it live bro!?

Is your name Xenon Wonder or Xenon Charles by any chance?

Man... ;)

Your references went right over my head haha kinda like round 4.

The 10-8 in round 1 was an afterthought I just threw out there towards the end of the match because wonderboy didnt land anything.

Also, (more importantly) I'm an incredible idiot:)

Your references went right over my head haha kinda like round 4.

The 10-8 in round 1 was an afterthought I just threw out there towards the end of the match because wonderboy didnt land anything.

Also, (more importantly) I'm an incredible idiot:)
Round 1 and 4 were both 10-8's in my book.

Round 1 and 4 were both 10-8's in my book.
Yeah, when I got on sherdog and there was the big conversation about the fight, I realised that I felt like both were 10-8.

I'm not into the rules enough to consistently score on the spot and, live, I'm admiring the tale so it's hard to score anyway. I usually have to watch a fight a 2nd time to actually score it.

10pt must system is a joke anyway. Fight to the death, I say;)

I had him beating Johny the first time out, and had him losing the second time out.

I rewatched both and I think Johny won both, I think Robbie simply left his barrage until way too late in the second fight.

I still score him over Condit though, power shots beat pitter-patter - came down to Round 3.
I think around the Hendricks/Lawler rematch there was a secret judging meeting where they universally decided not to award points to fighters who were embracing lay n pray and wall n stall to win fights. This evolution of judging makes these methods a moot/tie point in the fight. Following this narrative, it's easy to score the fight 48-47 Lawler (1,4,5)

But now after the Lauzon/Held decision, it seems the judges got it wrong again. Even when you're being semi-active like Held was, scoring is still being held against you,

UFC judging needs a complete overhaul and gain more transparency, legitimacy and fairness to the sport.

I don't think they're all on the same page either to be honest.

I think if we are talking about Round 1, Cruz's activity won him the round.

Both takedowns meant very little, and to me evened each other out from a grappling perspective. Cruz landed more shots, and the better shots in Round 1, Cody lands very little of worth - in my humble opinion that is an obvious Dominick Cruz round.

However you look at Round 2, and most people give it to Cruz, when I think it was much different to Round 1. Cruz a little more active, and even staggered Cody with a hook, but he ate way too many solid shots from Cody for Cruz's one moment of dominance and a round of leg-kicks to outscore powerful, accurate punches - Round 2 was Cody.

Round 3 is universally a Cody round, just lands the much better shots.

Round 4 is a tough one. You watch it live and it looks like Dom gets dropped 17 times, you rewatch it and you realize that he was clearly winning the round early and then gets dropped hard in a combination. If you pay serious attention, he recovers in about 1 second flat, yes he's a big shaky and even gets dropped again, but finishes the round well and stays with the jab out there. I personally think it's a 10-8, but the idea of a 10-9 is not ludicrous when you watch it frame by frame so to speak. Totally understand it being a 10-8 though.

Round 5 is obviously Cruz by virtue of my activity and Cody essentially gassing or cruising (whatever fits your narrative).

Cruz won 2 rounds without any question in my book, I thought it was 1, 2 and 5 when watching live - but I admit I was wrong 48-46 Cody or 48-47 at a push.

Must watch it again. I think it was the second knockdown, when Garbrandt was pointing at him, I thought for a split second he was in trouble, but he did spring straight back up - and showed he has a decent chin.

Again, it's a hazy recollection of the fight, but I do remember saying it's sort of a bull v Matador type round/moments - but that was probably in round 5 when Cruz had to go for it.

I think it's a given Garbrandt won the fight, just the scoring might be contentious. A lot of people were slobbering on here that Garbrandt out Cruz'd Cruz, but I think he just showed good head movement at some points in the fight and took the piss out of him mimickling his footwork.

who are these people who watch close fights, think one fighter barely eked out a round or two, and then jump to "robbery"? and are they as illogical in all other aspects of their life as well, or just mma forums?

Bisping - Henderson 2
I had it a draw first time watching it. Second time I had Henderson 48-46

Rewatched St.Pierre vs Hendricks about 2 months ago and I still cannot see how anyone on god's green earth gives 3 rounds to Georges.

So you basically can't see how he was given round 1? Literally every other round of the fight isn't even up for debate on who won.

Hendricks was robbed and it’s not up to debate. He beat GSP.

Close, controversial decisions aren't really robberies, though.

I feel like Wonderboy won 3 or 4 rounds in the rematch against Woodley, but no one cares because that fight sucks.

Back