Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition - anyone playing?

Eazy123

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
It's been getting stellar reviews across the board but nobody here is talking about it - some sites are even saying it's one of the best RPGs of all time. I was hoping to try it out but Redbox doesn't carry it so I was looking for user impressions. Anyone?

I dug the first one although the combat difficulty would spike in areas and I quit playing.

if you liked the first one, you will def like this

the difficulty spike is more or less the same in my experience of playing both

if you liked the first one, you will def like this

the difficulty spike is more or less the same in my experience of playing both

How far along are you? What has improved over the first?

How far along are you? What has improved over the first?
i played it when it launched so i already finished the campaign

id say overall its better, obviously the graphics, new abilities, story is just as good if not better but the crafting could use some more imagination and the inventory management is as bad as it was before

they also made it much much easier to respec and costfree which is a huge improvement from the first game

Still in my Steam backlog. Along with the first game and 20 hours played in that but it's been so long I should probably start over.

I liked it a lot and ended up taking longer to beat it than was necessary because I refused to drop the difficulty (I can't remember if I played on the hardest or second hardest). I'd recommend just setting it to whatever your comfortable with as I'm guessing even the lower difficulties offer some challenge.

I'm not sure what's in this new edition versus the one at release though.

I remember some people complaining about the three health bars: armor/magic armor and health. They were unhappy because it messes with the classic RPG approach of ccing powerful enemies at the beginning while taking out weaker enemies.

In this game, you can't crowd control anyone until you've knocked out either their physical or magic armor. So crowd control is an important factor, but it's not available to you until you've dumped some damage first.

Personally, the new system was still fun. I felt like it forced me to make use of combo damage to knock out specific types of shields; some enemies have very little physical armor but a lot of magic armor and vice versa. And that could be somewhat challenging because I prefer playing with two lone wolf characters instead of 4. The upside being that each is more durable, but I have less variety in terms of offense.

Love it. Playing on ps4 now.

I remember some people complaining about the three health bars: armor/magic armor and health. They were unhappy because it messes with the classic RPG approach of ccing powerful enemies at the beginning while taking out weaker enemies.

In this game, you can't crowd control anyone until you've knocked out either their physical or magic armor. So crowd control is an important factor, but it's not available to you until you've dumped some damage first.

Personally, the new system was still fun. I felt like it forced me to make use of combo damage to knock out specific types of shields; some enemies have very little physical armor but a lot of magic armor and vice versa. And that could be somewhat challenging because I prefer playing with two lone wolf characters instead of 4. The upside being that each is more durable, but I have less variety in terms of offense.
yes i forgot about the armor/magic armor system, i hated it at first because i would try to cheese my way into winning fights when i felt like i would struggle but it makes sense why they did it

i was watching Sin Tee's solo builds on youtube and that got me wanting to go back and play a second time with the Lone Wolf talent on and i felt that at first it was pretty tough but at about midgame it made it alot easier (atleast on tactitian mode) because you could play around with more builds depending on what you encounter

I haven't read up on the difference yet between the definitive edition was the standard version released last year. Fun fun game but I've already devoted almost 100 hours to the game already and don't know if I want to restart another playthrough. I've already went to 2 play throughs already. I really hope they release a new expansion

I haven't read up on the difference yet between the definitive edition was the standard version released last year. Fun fun game but I've already devoted almost 100 hours to the game already and don't know if I want to restart another playthrough. I've already went to 2 play throughs already. I really hope they release a new expansion
Jesus Christ, I guess you liked it lol

Jesus Christ, I guess you liked it lol
Definately especially the mods released last year made it fun. It made turn based combat enjoyable again. Something that I haven't liked that much since Fallout 2.

I have to read up again on what they added for the definitive version to see if it worth it again to restart but so far the only thing that caught my eye is that squirrel character you can recruit in the game. Not really worth it for another play through

I've put in 75 hours so far I'm really enjoying this game. After this run I'll probably try solo run

For those that have played Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Divinity: Original Sin 2. How do they compare?

For those that have played Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Divinity: Original Sin 2. How do they compare?

Fairly similar but different as well. BG had the luxury of having the vast world and lore of D&D to set their game in and the THACO dice roll combat mechanics of D&D while Divinity is Larian's own creation. Divinity's combat is easier to get into for sure.

I'd say the dialogue is deeper in BG and you can carry over your character to BG II, which is one of the biggest and best wrpgs of all time and you should absolutely play it if you're an rpg fan, and the expansion. BGII is a massive game. You'll do a lot more reading in both BG games compared to Divinity.

IIRC, BG would offer more classes and customization compared to Divinity. Divinity also shines with its humor whereas BG has some humor it also has a much more serious and darker tone in writing. BG II has one of my all-time favorite protagonists in Jon Irenicus. Stellar voice acting from the man who voiced him.

Both Divinity games will play better as they're newer whereas the first Baldur's Gate is two decades old now.

DOS 2 is turn based combat with more strategy involved. Mages aren't nearly as powerful in that you can't wipe out a group of enemies with a single spell.

There is way more customization. Your class doesn't restrict you to certain skills.

Baldur's Gate has the better story, DOS 2 has fully voiced dialogue and more of it.

It's been getting stellar reviews across the board but nobody here is talking about it - some sites are even saying it's one of the best RPGs of all time. I was hoping to try it out but Redbox doesn't carry it so I was looking for user impressions. Anyone?

I dug the first one although the combat difficulty would spike in areas and I quit playing.
I beat it. Twas good. If you like the first you'll probably like the second. The combat system's rules are a bit different as far as the way armor works but it works well.

I beat the first and second with a buddy on max difficulty.

:D

I ended up getting it last week but I'm just doing the easy mode, since I'm more into the exploration than drawn-out turn based fights. Once I get used to the mechanics I may go through with a different team and on a higher difficulty, but this suits me fine.

I ended up getting it last week but I'm just doing the easy mode, since I'm more into the exploration than drawn-out turn based fights. Once I get used to the mechanics I may go through with a different team and on a higher difficulty, but this suits me fine.
Any updates for us on your experience, E?

I'm thinking of picking it up after reading elsewhere how little it holds your hand; really could use a game of the nature right now – similar to the roadless agency Soulsborne titles afforded us. Everything lately has just been a spoonfeeding.

Turn-based combat was the biz when I was younger but haven't played the style in over 10 years. I'm worried about not being able to get back into it and having a new paperweight.

Back