Do average folks enjoy kung fu?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I had a conversation with Joe who told me that mma fans like to shit on things that are not the norm. It didn't even matter that he was in the UFC. It's just a culture that is vile and hateful in general.

So now I have to ask Mayberry about kung fu since folks in this sub forum are sincerest in all around thinking.

Now my question is do you guys feel that kung fu has benefits that is worth experiencing be it combat or health and flexibility?

I don't know enough about it, but why do people shit on it?

If it's a form of physical activity and people enjoy it, go for it! I don't think it has any practical (real world) application though, like the movies suggest.

I had a conversation with Joe who told me that mma fans like to shit on things that are not the norm. It didn't even matter that he was in the UFC. It's just a culture that is vile and hateful in general.

So now I have to ask Mayberry about kung fu since folks in this sub forum are sincerest in all around thinking.

Now my question is do you guys feel that kung fu has benefits that is worth experiencing be it combat or health and flexibility?
I'm not really into Asian food so I'm not the best person to ask.
I like some of there stuff tho

I don't know enough about it, but why do people shit on it?

If it's a form of physical activity and people enjoy it, go for it! I don't think it has any practical (real world) application though, like the movies suggest.

Oh I have and what I am trying to do is to promote it as an exercise. My main style is boxing and kung fu has improved my footwork as well as decreasing my anxiety for sparring. Like I am relaxed in body but alert in mind.

I don't think average joes know what kung fu is. Kung pao (chicken) is something else

Shaolin vs Wu Tang is a solid game. JCVD is so overpowered.

What style of Kung Fu are we talking here, or do you just mean any style? If we're just talking about for combat abilities, that could vary wildly. If we're talking about fitness benefits, I'd say most probably would be good. You can get elderly people doing Tai Chi to help with balance and give them something to do. While you could make arguments that other forms of exercise may give greater benefits, ultimately the best form of exercise is one that people will be consistent with. So if they can't stand being at the gym, but love doing whatever type of kung fu it is they practice, they'll get more benefits from that regularly than going to the gym once per month.

What style of Kung Fu are we talking here, or do you just mean any style? If we're just talking about for combat abilities, that could vary wildly. If we're talking about fitness benefits, I'd say most probably would be good. You can get elderly people doing Tai Chi to help with balance and give them something to do. While you could make arguments that other forms of exercise may give greater benefits, ultimately the best form of exercise is one that people will be consistent with. So if they can't stand being at the gym, but love doing whatever type of kung fu it is they practice, they'll get more benefits from that regularly than going to the gym once per month.

I am mostly promoting for exercise like balance and flexibility as well as gentle movements for purpose of dexterity. No specific style.

it may not have real world application in a fight but if the practitioners are enjoying themselves and not bothering anyone then who cares? I never understood the belittling of other martial arts, each has something to add even if its just one move

it only gets bothersome I guess if they walk around like the baddest dude on the planet then I guess that would be irritating

but yea if at the very least people get some exercise or a sense of community in their kung fu dojo then who am I to rain on their parade

I’m interested. That’s the direction I am most likely heading.

I’ve studied lots of different arts in my life. I want to know how to use a bo staff.

Also, push hands.

I think it s crap when compared to other forms for combat.

I did kung fu as a kid and while most of it is impractical, it certainly teaches valuable concepts like generating force in a punch through breathing, balance, focus and some toughness.

Would have been better to wrestle or do judo or tkd, though.

Cung Le’s Sanshou background is cool but there are a lot of guys in the kung fu scene who believe in creepy supernatural shit.

Depends on what you want out of it.

General discipline, health, activity, flexibility then yea it's a great thing to take up.

If your goal is strictly self defense or being a certified badass you're retarded if you choose any variation of kungfu over BJJ/boxing or even TKD

One of my favorite intro as well as this:

it may not have real world application in a fight but if the practitioners are enjoying themselves and not bothering anyone then who cares? I never understood the belittling of other martial arts, each has something to add even if its just one move

it only gets bothersome I guess if they walk around like the baddest dude on the planet then I guess that would be irritating

but yea if at the very least people get some exercise or a sense of community in their kung fu dojo then who am I to rain on their parade

Its called a Kwoon not a dojo but I understand what you are saying. Martial Arts should have the benefits of health and well being. I mean combat sport is not healthy in a sense that people getting injured and the MMA gyms I been to don't do enough stretching or flexibility that allows their students to have that full range of motion.

That and MMA can be very competitive and clash of ego and alpha males takes the fun out of it at times and so a more of a relaxed approach might be something people would take interest if done right.

I’m interested. That’s the direction I am most likely heading.

I’ve studied lots of different arts in my life. I want to know how to use a bo staff.

Also, push hands.

Right on great to hear. My interest came from horse stance. Maintaining it gave me a base line that improved my dynamic movement for boxing and karate. My experience from kung fu is like the most amazing way to exercise if conventional ways has you over trained.

I do Tai chi and really enjoy it. The academy I train at also teach a traditional kung fu based on xingyi, bagua & tai chi. I did the kung fu for about 18 months but the training location didn't work for me. It's very enjoyable.

I live in Shanghai, China, every morning in summer and autumn old people can been seen doing tai chi/ ba gua or some form of basic wushu exercise.

I think nothing of it.

I even have friends who are ex China wushu team members.

I think, like pretty much everything, if you enjoy it then do it, no need to talk about it much unless from a technical point of view.

I tecently Kung fu in movies is fucking horrific

I'd suggest experiencing Kung Fu via watching Bruce Lee and Ip Man movies.

Back