Do Energy Drinks hurt your cardio?

7even

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Do energy drinks hurt your cardio for boxing/mma?

Most likely since they are full of stimulants and increase your heart rate. This leads to premature cardiovascular drift.

Most likely since they are full of stimulants and increase your heart rate. This leads to premature cardiovascular drift.

This is correct according to current research. Premature contractions that don't allow full volume fill. If you're interested look into Joel Jamieson, tactical barbell, that's all I remember at the moment.

Isn't premature cardiovascular drift something that happened in Fast and Furious??

Do energy drinks hurt your cardio for boxing/mma?
Stop wasting your money on that crap man. I use to be all about dat life too but now I feel better than ever without caffeine. Get more sleep and eat better instead.

Stop wasting your money on that crap man. I use to be all about dat life too but now I feel better than ever without caffeine. Get more sleep and eat better instead.

The problem is that everyone wants an edge or a short cut. What they fail to realize is that every athletic endeavor requires: core strength, base work, speed work, nutrition, rest, sleep, and race/competition phase ramp/taper.

Do you have any advice on how to break an addiction to energy drinks? A lot of times I’m not even tired, but I’m craving for a sugar free redbull.

Do you have any advice on how to break an addiction to energy drinks? A lot of times I’m not even tired, but I’m craving for a sugar free redbull.
yes

say no and move on

or cut down

and eventually give up

Willpower

Not dying or feeling like you are dying. I developed a hardcore energy drink addiction 9 years ago and it took me 3 years to kick. Literally felt like i had a heart attack before i quit. Last thing I wanted to do was go for a run and die or kill myself doing sparring. That should be enough motivation.

Quit energy drinks, drink 1 cup of black coffee not more than twice daily.

After a month cut the coffee down to once a day.

Be honest with yourself

#1 you've been abusing caffeine and b vitamins as a drug.

#2 you've been overpaying for your caffeine

if you don't like coffee you can save a ton of money by buying a bottle of caffeine pills and a bottle of b vitamin complex and taking 1 pill of each with water in place of each energy drink you would consume.

What about coffee then?

How much? A coffee at 9:00AM wont affect you at 4:00pm for a run.
A coffee just prior to some LISS? Yeah, it will alter your HR by about 10 BPM. That's enough to screw up your ranges you want to work in.
An energy drink can have you amped all day. Bazinga.

How much? A coffee at 9:00AM wont affect you at 4:00pm for a run.
A coffee just prior to some LISS? Yeah, it will alter your HR by about 10 BPM. That's enough to screw up your ranges you want to work in.
An energy drink can have you amped all day. Bazinga.
But why the fuck then some people take caffeine pills as pre-workout.

But why the fuck then some people take caffeine pills as pre-workout.

Some people like the temporary energy boost. It has nothing to do with cardio improvements though, and most pre workouts are bullshit and too much stimulants mixed with bcaas your body doesnt need if you are eating protein.

conjure up an ungodly amount of the unholy substance (coffee) to get me through the day.. zero impact on training later at night

that being said.. drinking multiple coffees before venturing into the dojo is a recipe for disaster

Personally, it's the carbonation that kills it.

I take a 5 hour energy about an hour before bjj, I find that it helps with my energy and endurance

Back