do mma fighters punch w/ the first 2 knuckles?

You punch with those knuckles because they are larger and the musculature and support structures are larger on the thumb side of the hand. This makes it less likely that you will break your hand when hitting with the first 2 knuckles; the extra power is just incidental.

No fighter would be dumb enough to intentionally hit with the last 2 knuckles.

I've noticed Anderson Silva hits with the first two knuckles, not sure if its as effective with gloves on but bare knuckle I know for a fact it hurts the other person WAY more

It depends on the fighter. Chuck Liddel, for instance, punches almost exclusively with his thumb.

You punch with those knuckles because they are larger and the musculature and support structures are larger on the thumb side of the hand. This makes it less likely that you will break your hand when hitting with the first 2 knuckles; the extra power is just incidental.

No fighter would be dumb enough to intentionally hit with the last 2 knuckles.

but there is a whol lot of Pro fighters that swear by hitting with the last 3 knuckles. Based on the last 3 pay-per-views I watched, I would say most MMA fighters don't really pay much attention to the knuckles they hit with. gloves to a degree make it unimportant.

I'd say that you should strive to hit with a variety of different points of impact, varying punch by punch. For straight punches i'd say that my first 2 knuckles generally make impact, whereas uppercuts and hooks generally land on the last 3.

The danger with only landing with your first 2 knuckles is that it can lead to boxer's knuckle. Conversely, trying to land with the other 3 all the time can throw your hand out of alignment and potentially lead to breaking your wrist. With gloves & hand wraps on, it becomes less of a problem. But, in general i'd say use whatever feels comfortable for you. I try to use a combination of the 2

probably varies but i saw the first two used where i trained

the first 2 knuckles is how i was taught but i guess it just depends on the instructor

It depends on the fighter. Chuck Liddel, for instance, punches almost exclusively with his thumb.

chuck-liddell-mma-chuck-liddel-basketball-demotivational-poster-1198388610.jpg

It depends where you're coming from in terms of training.

If you read Jack Dempseys book he goes with the last 3 knuckles . He suggest a test where you line them up vertically against a wall and it shows the direct line from your shoulder to your knuckles. Thus not breaking the line of power and improtantly not breaking your wrist.

A lot of Karate based styles foucs on the first 2 knuckles.

Also if you're striking with a vertical fist or straight fist you will notice the difference in the way punching influences which knuckles will strike

if the person is able to land with the first two knuckles, than yes that would be ideal, but against someone with decent head movement and footwork any punch that lands cleanly is a good thing

It depends where you're coming from in terms of training.

If you read Jack Dempseys book he goes with the last 3 knuckles . He suggest a test where you line them up vertically against a wall and it shows the direct line from your shoulder to your knuckles. Thus not breaking the line of power and improtantly not breaking your wrist.

A lot of Karate based styles foucs on the first 2 knuckles.

Also if you're striking with a vertical fist or straight fist you will notice the difference in the way punching influences which knuckles will strike

I'm on Dempsey's side for this one. I find that aiming with the 1st two knuckles is mechanically less efficient than aiming with the middle two. The 1st two might be bigger, but I find I need to tilt my hand in a way that makes the alignment less efficient..

I'm on Dempsey's side for this one. I find that aiming with the 1st two knuckles is mechanically less efficient than aiming with the middle two. The 1st two might be bigger, but I find I need to tilt my hand in a way that makes the alignment less efficient..

Do you mean the middle and ring fingers?

I'd say that you should strive to hit with a variety of different points of impact, varying punch by punch. For straight punches i'd say that my first 2 knuckles generally make impact, whereas uppercuts and hooks generally land on the last 3.

The danger with only landing with your first 2 knuckles is that it can lead to boxer's knuckle. Conversely, trying to land with the other 3 all the time can throw your hand out of alignment and potentially lead to breaking your wrist. With gloves & hand wraps on, it becomes less of a problem. But, in general i'd say use whatever feels comfortable for you. I try to use a combination of the 2

I feel it's actually more likely with first 2 knuckles making contact. Your wrist is much more stable with last 3 making contact. Try doing pushups with 2 vs 3 knuckles and not how much more stable your wrist is.

I feel more stability when punching a bag bare-knuckle with flat surface of last 3 knuckles. I've had minor sprains in my pinkie couple of times, but broke my index when I did overhand into the elbow, in sparring (with 16 oz glove, lol). I've had 7 am MMA fights if that's relevant.

These points were brought up, but I will re-emphasize them:

Which part of the hand you hit with will generally depend on the style and gym you train at. Boxing gyms are more likely to teach hitting with the lower three knuckles (middle, ring and pinky), if they teach anything. Eastern martial arts often emphasize striking with the first two knuckles.

Second, I wouldn't say either style is "correct". Striking with the first two knuckles increases likelyhood of boxer's knuckle (damage to the soft tissue over the knuckle). Striking with the lower three fingers will increase the chance of boxer's fracture (breaking the fifth metacarpal, which is small and doesn't line up with the wrist easily). I have research to prove these facts (I did my senior thesis in college on this exact topic). Both injuries can be require surgery and make punching increadibly painful (unless you have a great adhrenaline rush).

The truth is, with gloves on it makes very little difference and becomes harder to control what fingers you are striking with, as the surface of the glove spreads the force over the hand.

I remembered that Bas Rutten suggest punching by the middle knuckle. The reason is almost exactly the same like Jack Dempsey: not breaking the line of power. Personally i like that as i broke my pinky knuckle for punching with unprotected hand (yeah i know dumbass) using the last three. Also i don't feel natural to punch with first two knuckles. Don't know why though.

I feel it's actually more likely with first 2 knuckles making contact. Your wrist is much more stable with last 3 making contact. Try doing pushups with 2 vs 3 knuckles and not how much more stable your wrist is.

I feel more stability when punching a bag bare-knuckle with flat surface of last 3 knuckles. I've had minor sprains in my pinkie couple of times, but broke my index when I did overhand into the elbow, in sparring (with 16 oz glove, lol). I've had 7 am MMA fights if that's relevant.

Yes, that's how I feel to.

I think that hitting with the last three knuckles is less painful, but I don't know is it only me and also is this a true feeling about the strength of these bones. :)

When I was working in dominos me and this Mexican had a fight in the back to see who was better, so I hit 1 superman punch on him (keep in mind that I was always taught to hit with the first 2 knuckles) and his chin started dripping blood.

That's why it's important to hit with the first 2 knuckles of your fist, it is the most effective way, anyone who tells you other wise are one of those kungfu motherfuckers that think their style is the best.

Back