Do movies go from theaters to TV faster nowadays?

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I feel like it used to take forever for movies to be shown on TV after the theater now I feel like it's only a few months if that. Anyone have solid data on this?

I don’t have data but it sure feels like it. Maybe it’s because they’re pumping out more movies per year?

Yes they do.

Jurassic Park took over a year to come out on VHS back in the day

iYjuq.jpg

Yes, but I like the large screen in theatres.
The thing is, a 4k/Oled/qled tv has way bettet picture than the movie theater screen.

I really like watching movies at home. With a nice sound system. No mouthbreathers, or dumbass people lighting up their phone. Gotta piss? just pause the movie.

But, i do enjoy going to matinee showings. Cheap and not many people there.

I think it is just because it is actually a faster easier process now.

I always thought the better the movie does in the theater the longer they wait to release it for home audiences

The thing is, a 4k/Oled/qled tv has way bettet picture than the movie theater screen.

I really like watching movies at home. With a nice sound system. No mouthbreathers, or dumbass people lighting up their phone. Gotta piss? just pause the movie.

It depends on the theater. If you are using top of the line in both situation, then there really is no contest. I don't really watch movies in theater anymore since I have a 80 inch screen at home. But for visual feasts like Interstellar and Infinity War, I went to Imax theater and it is still a better experience if you take the crowd out of the variable.

To each his own but i just love the experiences of the theater. If I see a good trailer i HAVE to see it in the theater. I love the smells and feeling of the theater. I have never had a bad experience in the theater. Only thing I can remember is some kid using a laser pointer here and there durimg some movie. I was just kid also so I thought it was funny. Never had people talking loud, using a phone, or anything else obnoxious.

To me the theater is the only magic left in this world and I love getting sucked in to a good movie

It depends on the theater. If you are using top of the line in both situation, then there really is no contest. I don't really watch movies in theater anymore since I have a 80 inch screen at home. But for visual feasts like Interstellar and Infinity War, I went to Imax theater and it is still a better experience if you take the crowd out of the variable.
I forgot about imax.

To each his own but i just love the experiences of the theater. If I see a good trailer i HAVE to see it in the theater. I love the smells and feeling of the theater. I have never had a bad experience in the theater. Only thing I can remember is some kid using a laser pointer here and there durimg some movie. I was just kid also so I thought it was funny. Never had people talking loud, using a phone, or anything else obnoxious.

To me the theater is the only magic left in this world and I love getting sucked in to a good movie
Well i have to say, since moving to the part of town we live in, the theaters are very nice and it's reserved seating. So yeah, i haven't had a bad experience since going there. It seems to keep the ghetto people out.

The people who put up the capital want their return on investment sooner before people forget they want the BluRay version?

Yeah.. On demand for money. It almost is now an extension of the theatrical release. I can see the marketing reasons behind it.

It used to be that popular movies were given extended theatre runs. Now it seems they release on a fixed schedule.

People who dislike the theater most likely live in some lame uncultured backwards shit hole suburb or rural area where they play nothing but blockbusters and is filled with rude gross obese rednecks. I've been spoiled living in LA and frequenting SF and NYC. I can watch vintage films from as far back as the early silent film era to weird abstract art films and everything in between virtually any day of the week all year.

People who dislike the theater most likely live in some lame uncultured backwards shit hole suburb or rural area where they play nothing but blockbusters and is filled with rude gross obese rednecks. I've been spoiled living in LA and frequenting SF and NYC. I can watch vintage films from as far back as the early silent film era to weird abstract art films and everything in between virtually any day of the week all year.

Mr. Movie Privilege over here. I bet you've even got those fancy schmancy subtitled moving pictures too.

I think in the 70’s, 80’s it would be 2 years.

You sound fun.
You live in LA and 'frequent' SF and NYC.
They are like the three biggest shitholes in North America (yes I'm including Mexico)

You sound fun.
You live in LA and 'frequent' SF and NYC.
They are like the three biggest shitholes in North America (yes I'm including Mexico)

SF is a shithole?

I haven't been there in fifteen years, but I thought it was pretty nice.

SF is a shithole?

I haven't been there in fifteen years, but I thought it was pretty nice.
I didn't like it. It's not exactly a paragon of culture like its made out by many.
Perhaps if you 'frequent' there like Mr Pretenious instead of just visiting it's better

I didn't like it. It's not exactly a paragon of culture like its made out by many.
Perhaps if you 'frequent' there like Mr Pretenious instead of just visiting it's better

I didn't spend a lot of time there, just a few days. I had just finished a work trip in Cali, started off in Carlsbad, drove up the coast visiting suppliers, finished work in Salinas, and spent the weekend in SF.

It was charming, but expensive.

Back