Do u guys remember GSP vs. Jon Fitch?

No, it's not subjective. it's statistics; he has the same number of finishes over ww fighters as Ben askren does. It's a sad fact.

I like gsp but you can't look at his highlight reel or legacy and say that his inability to finish fights as champion is irrelevant. It's part of painting the picture of greatness. Gsp valued safety, control, and defensive fighting more than being able to get rid of a guy quick. Getting rid of a guy quick is a desirable skill to have in a fight. Gsp didn't either value that or wasn't skilled enough to pull out a finish every once in a while. I like gsp but don't be ignorant of how legacies are remembered.

"Georges St. Pierre’s five-round unanimous-decision victory over Jon Fitch that took place at an August UFC 87 event ranks as the front-runner for the 2008 Fight of the Year.

That’s according to MMAjunkiecom readers who voted in last week’s “Inside MMA” poll.
'

I had just become a hardcore fan at that point. I really wanted Fitch to win because he is from my neck of the woods & he had just beat Diego who's hype-train I was all about. GSP crushed him & me that night, always rooted against him ever since.

Yeah.

GSP beat the living shit out of Fitch. I remember at the time, that was one of the most lopsided decisions MMA had thus far.

Fitch survived that fight on sheer toughness. GSP brutalized him.

Fitch was overrated, terrible sturiking and was able to exploit the weakness of the WW division at the time not having dangerous submission fighters or sturikers like they did later (Hobbie, Johny, Woodley, Demian, Paul Harris etc). He had 0 threat on the feet, no power, nearly got KTFO by Mike Pierce and arguably lost the same time span he fought GSP.

There were dangerous guys there during the time Fitch was supposedly #2.
He just didn't fight them.

The notion that " Fitch beats any WW not names GSP" was the biggest myth ever.
Favorable matchmaking created a situation where Fitch (and Alves) were both intensely overrated.

"Georges St. Pierre’s five-round unanimous-decision victory over Jon Fitch that took place at an August UFC 87 event ranks as the front-runner for the 2008 Fight of the Year.

That’s according to MMAjunkiecom readers who voted in last week’s “Inside MMA” poll.
'

Is that supposed to be as spectacular as fedor v nog, Anderson face kick vitor, or Conor ko Aldo 13 seconds?

My wife and I were cage side.
9-hardcore-boston-red-sox-fans.jpg
not gonna lie y’all ugly

Yes. Arguably GSP's best performance of all time. Props for Fitch for not getting finished. I thought he was TKO'ed multiple times in that fight.

He was overrated, in the time that he actually fought, because fighters who emerged on the scene later, are better in your eyes?

He beat everyone he fought aside from GSP for a span that lasted about 8 years. Which includes wins over Thiago Alves 2x, Diego, Gono, Saunders, Pierce, Larson, and Burkman. How is that overrated?
Fitch would have been the champ from 2007 to 2012 if GSP wasn't around.

Yeah, seriously, I cant believe Fitch, already damaged a lot during the first, survived that counter right hook at the beginning of the 3rd. Seriously, GSP came so close to finishing Hardy and Fitch, and if it happened this way, almost everyone would call him the GOAT now without question.
These finishes as well as the Kos 2 fight being a TKO (doctor stoppage) which he should have had, the narrative regarding GSP's finishing ability would have been much different.

i watched diaz gsp again the other night.

GSP was amazing in his prime

unfortunate that his legacy will always be clouded by the question mark of whether he fought clean or not.

I still think Diego won that fight by being more active on the ground. Diego 1,2 imo.
Agreed

Would have loved to have seen that version of Diego vs Gsp

That would be a weird weird fight

GSP hunted for the finish in that one
Great fight
Fitch is tough as nails
GSP turned him into a walking punching bag for 25 minutes
Difference between that fight and many of his others is Fitch didn't turtle and go full defense so GSP just got to showcase his offense

Lots of other GSP opponents fought not to lose so GSP just obliged and didn't force the issue.
I don't know if his opponents fought not to lose it's just that GSP's wrestling was on such of a different level they had no choice but to do their best to avoid being taken down or holding on for dear life.

I don't know if his opponents fought not to lose it's just that GSP's wrestling was on such of a different level they had no choice but to do their best to avoid being taken down or holding on for dear life.
At the very least I think it's safe to say that for whatever reason many of them focused on not getting smashed rather than generating their own offense
Like Thiago Alves was my favorite fighter going into the GSP fight, and after he figured out that GSP's reach was too much for him because he couldn't rely on kicking (got countered or taken down nearly everytime he tried) he just kind of gave up what he did best and tried to wing hooks and on the ground focused on not getting his guard passed

Hardy, who I like, realized quickly on the feet that he couldn't bait GSP into hooking with him (his bread and butter strategy) because GSP was content just duck under and Hardy just kind of tried to avoid getting tapped on the mat

So I agree it's largely a function of Georges pure physicality and wrestling ability/talent that helped, nearly every opponent described him as freakishly fast and strong post fight, but also no one but Fitch was really selling out for offense - and GSP was a far superior wrestler to Fitch as well in the MMA context

That night was glorious. I had just finished a paper on the critical market failures that undermined the success of trickle down economics in the Reagan era. Fascinating stuff. I was ready to party my ass off. By round 3, I was snoring like a chainsaw, my face was plastered to the couch with drool, and, since having kids, I have had wet dreams about the sleep I got that night. Truly, once in ever type of sleep happened that night.

Back