Do You Believe Current UFC Rules Are TOO Favorable Towards Wrestlers?

This is an ongoing discussion that seems to be popping up on here, but I'm seeing a lot of people bringing it up that the current rules favor wrestlers too much. In regards to the cage, short breaks, what good ground pressure does to strikers, no soccer kicks etc, this is also corroborated by 9/10 champions having strong wrestling backgrounds.

The rules are arbitrary to begin with, but do you guys think they are too favorable to wrestlers in a way that strikers don't really have a good chance to adapt or is it something that strikers can really overcome?
yes.
they are.
there's no discussion about it.

But the thing is: no one if forbiden to train wrestling. If they did not, they should concentrate and learn. Same was a striker has to learn BJJ and wrestling.

Nowadays, the divide is much less, and people are learning MMA, not separate martial arts.
So I don't think there should be great change in rules he "save" fighters from wrestlers.

If you are going to change rules, change things lie: Every round starts standing. Why?
IMHO if a round ended with fighter A on top of Fighter B, then restart the round where it ended.
IMHO a lot more fair than starting with both of the standing.

Lol no the rules don’t favor wrestling. Strong, smothering, tough as fuck wrestleboxers that know a little jiu jitsu (Henry, TJ, DC, Khabib) is currently the dominant style in mma. There was an era where strikers ruled, then striking + BJJ. Now you need to be a good wrestler that knows defensive BJJ and wrestle-friendly subs.

Last edited:
This is an ongoing discussion that seems to be popping up on here, but I'm seeing a lot of people bringing it up that the current rules favor wrestlers too much. In regards to the cage, short breaks, what good ground pressure does to strikers, no soccer kicks etc, this is also corroborated by 9/10 champions having strong wrestling backgrounds.

The rules are arbitrary to begin with, but do you guys think they are too favorable to wrestlers in a way that strikers don't really have a good chance to adapt or is it something that strikers can really overcome?
If you want to be successful in mma you need to be able to do it all. Strikers quit bitching and learn to wrestle and jujitsu for when you do get taken down. No one's born a wrestler, learn it like everyone else did. Look at Israel adesanya, came from kickboxing and put in the work in wrestling and probably grappling too. Now he's making elite wrestlers look like they don't belong in there with him.

If they add knees to the head on the ground then that would be huge for the wrestlers, get that north/south and rain those motherfuckers down. Beautiful. Most wrestlers love north/south position, but a lot don't do it in MMA because there isn't much you can do from there.. but if they added knees to the head on the ground then hell yeah

If they add knees to the head on the ground then that would be huge for the wrestlers, get that north/south and rain those motherfuckers down. Beautiful. Most wrestlers love north/south position, but a lot don't do it in MMA because there isn't much you can do from there.. but if they added knees to the head on the ground then hell yeah

Good question. I think mma is favored towards striking honestly. Fights start on the feet, rounds start on the feet. When fights stall on the ground, they are brought back to the feet. I think the main reason is simply to make the sport a little more entertaining. Most casual ufc fans would rather see a knockout than a submission. The ufc rules are geared more towards keeping a fight standing. If it weren't, i'd expect to see some rounds start on ground. I'd also expect rounds to continue where they last left off, should that be the ground.There's a lot of fight metrics for striking, but less specific wrestling and grappling ability. Don't get me wrong, i understand how fights are scored. I just feel a fighter could win 3 minutes on the ground and stand up and lose 2 min and thus lose the round ( in most cases).

It doesn't matter. Payscale favors the striker

There are too many rules full stop. Eye gauging, biting, low blows etc should all be allowed. Anything but coming in armed with a weapon. Fights should be to the death and rewarded with fatality bonuses.

You had me up until you mentioned "bonuses". <26>

You sound dumb, and everyone who says shit like this is.

Wrestling is just dominant in MMA always has been as will be most of the rules actually work against wrestlers: Ex 5min rounds is a free standup for strikers, not advancing your position is a standup, or break.

Unless you ban takedowns and clinching they'll win more often than not.

Well without eye gouging I don't see any way to slow a wrestler's progress so yes.

Also, a fighter should be able to rip the clothes off of women in the cage at the same time as them. And the UFC should send in some horny sows at the same time as the fighter is there.

That'll stop wrasslers!

fixed.

Sure, let's make it just like real life. Legalize knees to the head on the ground, legalize headbutts, legalize head spiking, legalize spinal strikes, get rid of standups, and replace the mats with concrete.

Let's see just how badly the rules favor wrestlers! Trust me, wrestlers everywhere would love the opportunity to find out!

We don't see big slams often, let alone fight finishing slams.

All we're basically getting is your standard TD.

In terms of beating someone up, it's control but it does nothing to harm them.

I personally score a single hard punch over a TD, though the judges.....if you punch someone in the mouth hard 3 times and get taken down and just held down with no activity, there's a good chance they're giving the nod to the wrestler.
Wrestlers don't go for slams because the mats make them pointless and wasted energy.

"In terms of beating someone up, it's control but it does nothing to harm them."

That's only because the rules are designed against wrestlers to stop that from happening. Head spikes are illegal. And why do you think there are mats? Try replacing the mats with concrete if you really believe that slams and TDs don't hurt people..

I don't like the excessive top control with no damage or submission threats winning a round. And I don't care for the take down with 30 seconds left to steal a round thing.

We don't see big slams often, let alone fight finishing slams.

All we're basically getting is your standard TD.

In terms of beating someone up, it's control but it does nothing to harm them.

I personally score a single hard punch over a TD, though the judges.....if you punch someone in the mouth hard 3 times and get taken down and just held down with no activity, there's a good chance they're giving the nod to the wrestler.
seeing as 80% of street fights end up on the ground, i'm fight with things the way they are in the ufc. wrestling's important when it comes to one on one combat.

banned downward elbows to the back of the head while wresters try to take you down.
Yes the rules massively favour wrestlers.
Yeah let's let guys target elbow where the brain stem meets the spine. Good plan ace. Or they can just learn to wrestle and grapple and stop being bitches about being inadequate in the cage. If you cant do anything to stop the guy you deserve to be embarrassed if you're calling yourself a professional mixed martial artist

You sound dumb, and everyone who says shit like this is.

Wrestling is just dominant in MMA always has been as will be most of the rules actually work against wrestlers: Ex 5min rounds is a free standup for strikers, not advancing your position is a standup, or break.

Unless you ban takedowns and clinching they'll win more often than not.

Good one genius.

Absolutely retarded, wrestlers by virtue of wrestling alone can dull a strikers chance by laying on top of him and causing him to wear out, there is no such thing for strikers apart from kos and tkos which are made all the more difficult by focusing on TDs as well. Furthermore the cage acts as a platform wrestlers can use, the lack of soccer kicks greatly reduce the risk of them getting TKOd while going for a takedown and the short breaks work to their advantage considering they don't honestly need power in their hands to win.

There are many rules that can be implemented to equalize the playing field, but if you're happy knowing that UFC has been figured out and you don't mind the amount of dry humping that takes place, more power to you, you must be having a ball with 9/10 divisions being owned by wrestlers who look virtually unstoppable.

Minus knees and kicks to downed opponents, which would change the UFC game a bit.

The cage itself.

I believe the cage used to specifically aid wrestlers, clinch work / tds. Now that many are so proficient in cage walking to recover from a td it's kind of a moot point.

I think it's pretty even overall.

I know wrestlers are dominating currently, but look at how many wrestlers are in the UFC. Wrestling is a much better feeder sport to MMA than boxing or even other striking martial arts. Just my completely non statistically backed up thought at least.

no, if anything the rules are favorable to strikers (to encourage more KOs to happen). For example, in a real sport would a ref EVER stand two fighters up or break them off the fence just because they're not doing enough to keep the crowd entertained? Maybe stalling and tiring their opponent is part of their strategy, it just happens to not be so exciting to watch so it gets broken up in UFC to encourage more fireworks.

Also why are people allowed to end the round fully mounted, then start the next round standing? None of this makes sense in context of a real fight or sport, but it happens in UFC to make it so wrestling isn't as dominant as it could be. In many fights, once someone is taken down by a high level wrestler they would never get up again if not for round breaks and the ref interfering.

lol wat?

In a "real sport" you are prevented from stalling to keep the crowd entertained. There is a shot clock, a play clock, and even a pitch clock in baseball now.

As far as ending a round in mount, you could also end a round wobbled on the feet.

Also, the cage stops you from escaping, yet you're not allowed to grab it.

You also have to carefully place kicks, elbows, and knees when someone can dive at your ankles however they want.

You can also be fractions of a second, or inch, away from trapping multiple submissions but as long as you're on the bottom and the other guy looks active you're "losing".

The cage, the rules, and the judging criteria all favor wrestlers.

Back