Do you believe in ring rust?

Yes. I have no stats to back it up but it seems like guys who come in to fights with shorter camps look sharper for the most part

Of course its mental. Its also skill based. It's real. You cant stay at the same level if youre working your skill set. There's exceptions few and far between.

Honestly, at this point I think it depends on the individual.

Some guys come back and look terrible, while others come back stronger than ever.

It depends on the fighter.

Some guys like Rampage and Johnny Hendricks balloon up 20-50+ lbs if they don't have a fight coming up. Ring rust effects those guys the most.

Other guys like GSP do the right thing and stay in shape all the time, even if they don't have a fight scheduled. Those guys don't get effected by ring rust.

If you stay in shape and train right and do the right things, you won't get ring rust too much. But a lot of or most fighters only do that when they have fights scheduled. After a year or longer of not fighting, that's ring rust.

Hope your family is ok and I'm glad you bounced back from the loss. Respect.
Thanks brother, appreciate the love. Family is better now and has had time to heal.

Yeah, looking to fight one more time this year. Late august or late September.

Thanks brother, appreciate the love. Family is better now and has had time to heal.

Yeah, looking to fight one more time this year. Late august or late September.

That's awesome man, best wishes on everything! Go kick ass! {<redford}

Do I believe in it?
Yea

Do I believe it should ever be used as an excuse?
No way.

Most fighters train with headgear n 8oz gloves and some dont ever use head shots in sparring. If you're out for a few years there will definitely be adjustments

It's just nerves. Call it that you will, it's emotion and anxiety, I think fighters are smart to train their minds as well as their bodies. We've seen time and again physical specimens break mentally and inferior fighters winning by not breaking mentally.

Yes. I have no stats to back it up but it seems like guys who come in to fights with shorter camps look sharper for the most part
the guys who have shorter camps probably are more often the fighters who train year round

I believe it's real and most of it is related more to the mentality of the fighter, when he's coming off an injury or long layoff, rather than physically.

Yea of course I do, I also think you can mitigate those effects to an extent with proper training.

100% real.

Even shadow boxing at home and doing movement drills by myself, there is a massive difference in how loose my body is and the technique and flow of the strikes, aswell as the pop. Everything flows better.

It is noticeable even after 2 weeks of not shadow boxing/moving around.. i am noticeably worse, and i am definitely a fast learner/fast adapter, i've heard this alot said about myself, and i still notice a difference between the dude that has trained in the last 2 weeks and the dude that hasn't. So i imagine when you talk about the big game, and being in a real fight where each move counts and could be a KO shot, it is another level.

It is undeniable, especially the higher level you go.

Imagine if you are really good at Counter strike.. I can not play for a year and steamroll lower ranked dudes that literally play everyday, that never goes away, but if you try and play dudes of your previous higher skill level from when you played frequently, that is where the difficulty sets in and you start noticing it is a bunch harder than you remember.

Why not cage rust or octagon rust?

Back