Do You Blame Fritz Von Erich For His Sons' Deaths?

Yeah, the Triumph and Tragedy one
You should check out Heroes Of World Class
It doesnt have WWE's production values but its a much better doc that tells a deeper more complete story
Plus its cool to see Kevin take a tour through the old abandoned Sportatorium before its demolished

You know, i never really thought of if Fritz had an impact on their deaths. I guess i just chalked it up to the pressure and the drugs and getting swept up into that life. Obviously thinking about it now it makes a lot of sense considering five of the brothers died young. It's tragic.

It is hard to say what father Fritz could do in hindsight.

David either died by drug overdose or had a legit medical problem that led to his death in Japan. Bruiser Brody allegedly flushed pills down the toilet in the hotel to try to protect the family.

Mike had toxic shock syndrome and was not the same mentally after that. Blaming Fritz for Mike's death would not be fair. Although I am sure he pushed Mike to get back in the ring to capitalize on a returning story line. Fritz likely didn't understand just how badly Mike's health was.

Chris was never going to live up to the Von Erich name in the wrestling ring due to his size. That must have been a tremendously crushing for him but not a reason to kill himself. If he wanted to be involved in WCCW it probably should have been behind the scenes producing or in a promotional capacity. Can't blame Fritz for his choice.

Kerry had been using drugs forever and was not in his right mind to do what he did. I am sure on many occasion Fritz turned a blind eye to his issues. I know he spun one of his drug incidents into a story that he had a fever and was delirious. Money and the family business came first.

From what I know of Fritz he was a very domineering type of individual. The boys pretty much knew they had to become wrestlers. Did they all want to? I am sure they did. Who wouldn't want to be famous like their father? We don't know if he ever talked to his boys about drugs and it didn't take. We're not privy to those conversations. At the end of the day they were adults and parenting can only do so much.

I don't blame him.

Back