Do you care about video game stories?

Generally I do care about the story but there’s exceptions to this. The Soulsborne games get away with not having much in the way of your typical story due to the fact that it’s got great gameplay, but also because the game manages to fresh with extremely varied and interesting level and enemy designs. If it was the same 5-10 enemies and every area looked or played the same it would get old faster even with the great gameplay.

I do care but for me, it's a bonus if the story is good, but I don't go into playing a game with high hopes that the story is awesome or the first thing I look for.

I like the lore the Fallout series and liked the lore that Destiny 1 put out in the grimoire cards but I can't say I liked the story those games put out.

I can't play a game (for very long) if I don't care about the story.

So, short answer? Yes.

I mostly don't, cause more than not, they suck.
There's a good reason for this too. A classic well written three act story arc isn't that easy to translate to a game. Not impossible, just hard.
Also, if these storywriters for games were any better at their job, they'd work in the movie industry haha

That being said, there are tones and themes in certain games that I truly love and hold dear to my heart: some of the MGS games, the first Halo trilogy, the Soulsborne games, TLOU

But then you also have games like Shadow Of War, a game I really enjoy playing. But it had absolutely terrible, disgustingly bad written story. It is what it is and I don't get worked up about it anymore, I just zone out I guess.

I used to, but honestly the story is phoned in B movie bullshit in most games. It's just so hard to give a shit while hearing the same cookie cutter narrative over and over. I'd say in the last 5 years the only games I've played with good writing were rpgs on steam. Consoles seem to have given up on any rpgs that aren't SUPER weeb. Lookin at you Tails series and every FF since seven.

I pretty much need a good story to even beat a game these days. Otherwise I get bored with the gameplay and just stop playing. Which is what's happened with every single Dark Souls like game I've ever owned.

A great story, to me, comes after great gameplay. I can't stand Telltale for this reason; no matter how good the story I'm here first and foremost to play a game.

I hate stories in videogames. Having a short cutscene after killing a boss is fine, but games nowadays have cutscenes mid battle. Makes me sick.

Yes. good stories makes the games much more enjoyable. I remember playing MGS in the playstation. The characters were so awesome, (Mei Ling (cutie), Grey Fox, Vulcan Raven, Psycho Mantis, that sniper chick, Otacon..) and the story progression was intense. I remember beating the giant robot in the end and thinking the game was over, then it goes to the chase scene and I was like "fuck you liquid why won't you just fucking die!!" as I was shooting bullets at him. good times.

RDR had an absolutely fantastic story. Easily on par with TLOU.

For me the answer is sometimes. As I get older though, it's really only the very well done ones that I will sit through and even then I might skip a cutscene now and then.

So why so much emphasis on the story, Rockstar?

perhaps because it was a contributing factor in red dead redemption being an all time great game

Last edited:
TLOU had a great story but generally no don't care. A good story offers little replay value unlike good gameplay which keeps you coming back for more.

There would be no GTA without a story so yes I enjoy me a good story in certain video games.

yes..... but let me guess TS? you really like Call of Duty?

The only thing I truly care about in a video game is if I find it fun to play. I can even overlook outdated or bad graphics if the game is still fun. A game’s story doesn’t make or break a game for me, it’s just there. If it happens to be interesting, then cool. Although, it does seem to happen more often than not that I’m thinking, “Holy shit, why won’t they stop talking?! I just want to play!”

I pretty much only play single player games with an emphasis on narrative. Besides strategy games, which ask the narrative is trash and inconsequential

I generally care about the overall story, but tend to not give a fuck about a lot of the lore. For example I'm playing through God of War right now and I'm loving the story, but I don't really bother to read those lore tablets that you find and boy translates. Although that is in part due to the text being so small I can't really read the journal.

EDIT: actually I just don't really like to read in a video game. Engaging side quests I enjoy. Side quests where you just read a couple paragraphs IDGAF

I always want the gameplay to be central. I always love a great story though, as I grew up into adulthood in the Xbox/360 era, where tons of awesome rpgs with great narratives were dropping left and right.

But if the story is what is dragging me forward, like the AC games, despite mediocre combat, it detracts from the experience. Especially in a series like AC, where the story has become less integral each game.

Back