Do you care about video game stories?

The latest Red Dead Redemption trailer got me thinking. I really don't give a shit about stories in video games. Occasionally I'll get hooked in, The Last of Us, for example. But 9 times out of 10 I skip the cutscenes. I play games to play and I can't stand sitting there watching some B movie bullshit. So why so much emphasis on the story, Rockstar? Its not like this is The Shawshank Redemption part 2. What say you?

You’re a MP newbie.

Now go and play some Yakuza.

It kills replayability, especially if it's story-driven and/or can't skip cutscenes.

But some games like MGS 4 (not for everyone) depend on it. It sets the stage for you to get invested in the action that follows.

Some others do it via lore, like the Souls series. Heavy emphasis on gameplay, huge replay value because of it.

Story has to be told well, otherwise you get a Tomb Raider that shines in most areas, but bores you with a weak as hell plot.

MSG have some of the most horrible cutscenes in history. They are so full of shit that it’s a running joke.

I like some story based games but the above is a joke.

It’s a fine line balancing story and game but if you shit on the story line like OP you are literally grinding numbers on an excel spreadsheet.

100% has to have a good story for me to finish the game. Its super important to me. Unless its a time waster game, I need to have a connection to the game in some sense to even want to play it. If the story sucks I wont even play it for a few hours.

MSG have some of the most horrible cutscenes in history. They are so full of shit that it’s a running joke.

I like some story based games but the above is a joke.

It’s a fine line balancing story and game but if you shit on the story line like OP you are literally grinding numbers on an excel spreadsheet.

MGS builds storylines and characters well, which strengthens as the building continues with each new entry. They're wacky and overly dramatic, but also affable if you take them for what they are.

For example, Peace Walker's nuclear deterrent being expanded from Snake Eater is more about the connection between Snake and Big Boss, while the sub-plot is way above average for video game storytelling, so their relationship becomes more intriguing than the usual pupil/master mantra.

But telling it also lasts half an hour, with constant world's end implications and theater. The wacky.

Dark Souls 3 went away from grinding via giving enough XP in one area to not get fucked up in the next. I think that's what TS is trying to convey. 95% of the time you're waiting for cutscenes to be over in games, as the writing tends to stink.

I played through kingdom hearts and was hooked on the story line. Fuck that arogant prick Riku trying to steal my girl, I got this. (sure, riku sells his soul to rescue her and is a badass who does what ever it takes, but still.)

So I beat the game and the girl doesn’t get rescued, she’s gone. What the fuck? I go back and 100% the game to get the secret ending. And you know what? YOU STILL DONT RESCUE HER.

WHAT.THE.FUCK?!

I'm buying Detroit beyond human at launch just to play a intetactive movie we're my decisions matter

It depends.

COD: Story lines seems like they are written up by a methed up Michael Bay.

Mass Effect: Fuck it I love Sci-Fi

RDR(Red Dead): Shit made me mad and sad I'll just leave it at that so I don' spoil it.

BF: Story lines are like Rosie O'Donnell 5/10 but you just want some action and DGAF.

Gundam vs Zeta Gundam: It explored what if situations with in the Zeta Gundam and Gundam universe.

Metal Gear: How can I say this story so good I would sell my soul if I had one if this could be real.
I don't feel like typing anymore so.

I care as long as they don't get in the way of gameplay or feel like they are leading me too much, you have to leave things to the mind of the player to immerse themselves into the world around them and figure out things for themselves.

Yes. But only about the substance, not about the bullshit around. Double Dragon is a good example. The intro cutscene shows everything story relevant in like 3 seconds, no boring nonsense around that i don't care about.

Ahh, a fellow Double Dragon fan!

{<redford}

Depends on the game for me. Some stories I get really in to and others I couldn't give 2 shits about

Back