Do you eat the fat from meat?

yeah i'll eat fucking anything.

i'm surprised the vegan brigade haven't been in here telling us all we're dead already.

Meat, especially red contains multiple cancer causing agents, causes heart disease and stroke and is correlated with weight gain and diabetes. On top of having an immense impact on the planet.

What if you only eat the fat?

What if you only eat the fat?

This is true, but what is also true is that they pump these animals full of antibiotics, so they get more fat. The amount of fat on a slice of meat today, is much greater then it was 40 years ago. You can cut off the big pieces of fat, and still ingest more then enough good fat.

Antibiotics have nothing to do with fat. Antibiotics are used if an animal needs them to fight an infection. The fat comes from what they are fed. Feeding animals on a lot where they don't have to move around to eat is what develops the most fat. When they have to eat grass in a a pasture instead of grain on a feedlot, they will develop more fat. On my grandparents farm, they would raise Angus steers for meat. They were kept in a stall where they could only stand up or lay down and fed hay and ground oats and corn.

Never, but I'm pretty sure I unintentionally eat fat from Spam and hotdogs.

I used to work at an expensive steak house like $60 a steak. Making a great steak is simple.

What we did at the steakhouse was get a good cut of meat. NY Strip, ribeye, etc. A flank or something just won't do. It'll suck.

Let it sit out long enough to get to room temperature. This will ensure that it cooks through the steak evenly without having to warm up cold areas in the middle. Let it sit out with a paper towel or something on each side to absorb the excess moisture. When done, rub it down with a paper towel to get the moisture.

Coat generously with salt and pepper. Mostly salt. This will form a crust under extreme heat.

Use your broiler. This is better than a grill for a few reasons. One is that it heats from the top instead of the bottom. This means that the juices stay infused into the steak instead of leaking out of the bottom.

Cook to your desired level of done-ness. I prefer medium or medium rare. You're going to have to flip the steak over half-way and cook each side. If you're not experienced in the kitchen, be careful. You're dealing with some hot temperatures here that most people don't normally do in the kitchen and you're very likely to set off your smoke alarm. The steak will be smoking a lot. And the temperature, and since broiling -- you're closer to the heating element, is enough to set rags on fire.

When you take it out, rub butter over the top. It will melt in and infuse with the steak, enriching the fat and umami flavors. This is key. Don't cheap out and use cheap butter substitutes!!
A flank or something just won't do. It'll suck.
This is where I take umbrage right off the bat, because you can take a shitty cut of meat and cook it right. We take butt scraps, pound them and marinate them and they sell like crazy for roughly about 4$ an ounce fully plated. Yes, I prefer a NY any day of the week, but to say that flank "Sucks" inherently is stupid. Flank has a marvelous variety of uses and possibilities and is even good well done if you have the proper marbling. Stupid comment.

Let it sit out long enough to get to room temperature. This will ensure that it cooks through the steak evenly without having to warm up cold areas in the middle. Let it sit out with a paper towel or something on each side to absorb the excess moisture. When done, rub it down with a paper towel to get the moisture.
This is not complete broscience or bullshit and I get asked this a lot so I wont berate you for thinking it to be the rule, I will just say what I say to anyone asking for my education or advice..."It Depends"
It depends on the cut, first and foremost as steak has a very high water content in some cuts and others not as much. There is also the marbling question, as fat is roughly 10-15% water compared to muscle's 75-87% muscle. So a flap of teris major is going to inherently have more water than a waigu rib of course. As for "Room temperture...what is room temp? 80, 90 degrees? For some cuts with a strip of fat along the loin, the prime temperature for me is 60-70 degrees F. Sometimes for bigger cuts (ie a giant flank), with a medium minimum i'll warm it to close to 90 degrees if it has a vinegar/herb based crust. For Medium rare however, i will attack it stone fucking cold at ~40 degrees F.

The "Cold areas in the middle" part is where you're drastically wrong. That has all to do with your cooking surface. An even distribution of heat is what will warm the middle up, once again, depending on the cut. If you want the middle "Hot", which baffles me actually as it's not supposed to be "hot" which is the point of a sear, you need the middle in hottest concentration of heat and if the cut is proper and even, the rest of it will follow. Bad steaks have one thing in common: The sides are more cooked than the middle, and that doesn't have to do with getting the steak to "Room Temp", it has to do with cooking surface.

Also, I don't get this "moisture" part...the whole point of a sear is to LOCK IN myoglobin. Muscle is porous, meaning it will absorb and exude moisture. That's why you marinate lean cuts, and also why marbling of beef matters in determining the flavorful merits of a cut. Remember, fat is only 10% water, meaning when it renders, it secretes oils and acids into the porous muscle. So your point about "getting moisture out" is not scientifically inaccarute, it's just kinds of stupid. It's why we dry age beef, we're suspending the animation of the myoglobin and water. The cooking process is designed to push water out, yes, but for a medium rare steak with a solid sear, the object is to retain as much myoglobin as is possible.

So why are you "Getting the moisture"?

Use your broiler. This is better than a grill for a few reasons. One is that it heats from the top instead of the bottom. This means that the juices stay infused into the steak instead of leaking out of the bottom.

This is actually not true in all cases, but probably true for TS' situation, but most top-down broilers have an induction element at the bottom that reflects heat and generates mass amounts of fire power, anywhere from 1200-1600 degrees.
The problem with all broilers is that they rely on direct induction and create a vacuum, so your meat dries very very quickly. It's a good tool, but i prefer the pan and bake method.

When you take it out, rub butter over the top. It will melt in and infuse with the steak, enriching the fat and umami flavors. This is key. Don't cheap out and use cheap butter substitutes!!

Okay, this was just obnoxious. First of all, any cut of meat is EXTREMELY delicate when it's done and should not be rubbed, pressed or touched if avoidable, so "Rubbing" butter on it is stupid. If you would like a pat of butter on it, go for it, but it will not "infuse" in the cut that you cooked in hot fire. The cooking process involves taking porous muscle, burning it until the muscles seize up and push as much water out as possible, and after that, they're literally dying and the cell walls are broken and not absorbing anything.

You using the word "Umami" there is so cringe, putting a glob of fat on a steak is not "Umami"

All-in-all 4/10 post, you got a couple things half right but for the most part you're the guy at the gym saying bringing the bar down to your chest is bad for your shoulders. Yeah, probably, but it's fucking my 1 rep max up and that's the endgame.

Which leads me to this uncalled for crime against cuisine
Absolutely. And sometimes, the steak fat isn't enough so I have to add more.

DX4RiDgVAAAvnj2.jpg
It actually looks really well made. Pan fried with some seasoning and butter. Get some nice crispiness on the outside, but a good pink center. YUM

Fuck no.

This is what @Dinotective did:
He took a crappy pan that isn't fit to get hot, kept it too cold, and placed the bottom tip of the steak on the area of the pan with the highest concentration of heat. That already is a death sentence for any bone-in cut. The bone should never be around the ridge of the pan, ever.

The Bone is either the coldest part or the hottest part of a cut. When it is stagnant, meaning the marrow is not activated by any outside heat source, it probably close to freezing. The water content in bone is close to 40% and the water content of marrow varies, but it's usually on a ratio bone density (source https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15599288), so when it goes live it gets hot and heats the protein around it QUICKLY.

And that is precisely why you must cook the bone first and ever last, because the internal swelling of heat will push a medium rare to close to a medium well in a couple of minutes.

So what this guy did was cook the shit out of the tip, keep the bone cold, then char the bone after the sear time-line was done. Look at the rubbery wet protein around the left corner, it's only heat source was the bone, as it was cooked on the and the protein couldn't touch the heat squarely. He also undoubtedly lost a lot of pan heat when he flipped it and overcompensated by turning the heat up.

A fatty cut, especially with a bone, should never be black around the tip. It means straight up dead meat that never had time to have its fat rendered internally because the protein was killed first and the water was seeped out due to a lack of a proper sear. The steak is also overcooked, by Medium standard, it's completely seized up and myoglobin is escape because of the internal heat from the bone (you can reference my take on the other post). You can tell by the pat of butter not rendering quickly.

Not a good steak. Most Bone cuts should be done on the grill for the reasons i've pointed out, as it's easier to place them in different heated positions, starting with the bone in the absolute hottest spot, but if you're gonna do the home cook thing and pan sear it, you should go the way of this guy

Night and day from what we're looking at here and probably about 12 degress F cooler, which is right about where a perfect cut should be cooked. I definitely wouldn't post or brag about a cut so crappy and act like I know what I'm doing. If I were served that I would be very upset.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-20_18-16-16.jpeg
    upload_2018-3-20_18-16-16.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 2
Antibiotics have nothing to do with fat. Antibiotics are used if an animal needs them to fight an infection. The fat comes from what they are fed. Feeding animals on a lot where they don't have to move around to eat is what develops the most fat. When they have to eat grass in a a pasture instead of grain on a feedlot, they will develop more fat. On my grandparents farm, they would raise Angus steers for meat. They were kept in a stall where they could only stand up or lay down and fed hay and ground oats and corn.

Not true. Read more.

I used to work at an expensive steak house like $60 a steak. Making a great steak is simple.

What we did at the steakhouse was get a good cut of meat. NY Strip, ribeye, etc. A flank or something just won't do. It'll suck.

Coat generously with salt and pepper. Mostly salt. This will form a crust under extreme heat.

Cook to your desired level of done-ness. I prefer medium or medium rare. You're going to have to flip the steak over half-way and cook each side. If you're not experienced in the kitchen, be careful. You're dealing with some hot temperatures here that most people don't normally do in the kitchen and you're very likely to set off your smoke alarm. The steak will be smoking a lot. And the temperature, and since broiling -- you're closer to the heating element, is enough to set rags on fire.

Sounds about right! I had a double sally for four years. It was dope as fuck except these assholes would melt the gruyere all over the potatoes and get carried away Id end with cheese all on my fucking grates. Try BORSIN Im using that as a proxy for compound soft cheese and butter combo. No bullshit! Serious just do it once! Id make my own compound, you know how to cook so Ill throw it down for you.

Good butter, blitzed garlic confit, blitzed rosemary and thyme, blitzed tiny amount of blue cheese, tiny tiny, and some really nice easy low acid goat! Blitz butter, garlic, cheeses together. Blend in herbs, let sit for two days in cheese cloth. KABOOM steak comes off heating element spread the compound blend let melt thank me tomorrow!

I do a lot of my own home butchery, with primals, not sides not wholes. Last ten years Ive experimented a lot with full rice koji miso salt its actually pretty dope. Thats how I figured out that miso paste trick. MSG is G-D too. It was my secret weapon back in the day no one had a clue what was in my salt bowl, but it was a mix of kosher and msg. Also peppers. I roast my white pepper corns, always have. Brings out the perfume. Ive stayed away from black for a long time and Ill do 1/10 by weight of szechuan peppercorn slightly toasted as well. It your peppercorns are old though you may want to go 1/20 by weight. I can talk about this all day.

Your pan sucks, first and foremost
Secondly the sear is uneven, its charred on the bottom and pale by the bone, but the bone itself is charred somehow
You overcooked the fuck out of the tip, the meat by the bone is rubbery

Basically you think you know what youre doing but youre just destroying thay cut. If youre going to sear a bone-in cut with a pan, you have to do it right and unfortunately you have no idea what youre doing.

I dont cook steaks on a grill at home ever

You realize thats not my photo you dumb bitch or nah? Second Ive forgotten more kitchen tricks than youll ever know in your fucking life son. You have no idea who I am but take fucking notice I didnt cook for Dennys and Ive never done fast casual! I quit the industry on the counter of either going to grad school or finally opening my own place with ZERO of my own capital. Had two offers to open an upscale in a major market in the hottest year of the industry in that market. I chose the lesser of two evils because if I had to drag some asshole who staged at whoever the fucks for a year but couldnt saute worth a shit in the walkin one more time Id have committed murder! I still make lesser cooks cry and I havent been in a kitchen full time in 6 years as of April!

You realize thats not my photo you dumb bitch or nah? Second Ive forgotten more kitchen tricks than youll ever know in your fucking life son. You have no idea who I am but take fucking notice I didnt cook for Dennys and Ive never done fast casual! I quit the industry on the counter of either going to grad school or finally opening my own place with ZERO of my own capital. Had two offers to open an upscale in a major market in the hottest year of the industry in that market. I chose the lesser of two evils because if I had to drag some asshole who staged at whoever the fucks for a year but couldnt saute worth a shit in the walkin one more time Id have committed murder! I still make lesser cooks cry and I havent been in a kitchen full time in 6 years as of April!
We'd start you at 12.25

This is a lot of words just to admit you are full of shit

Yup, I eat all the fat and enjoy it very much. Mmmm yummy.

Back