Do you feel nervous and uncomfortable around the police?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Steven_Universe, Apr 16, 2018.

1. SeefourDC

SeefourDC Green Belt

My grandfather was a highway patrolman. I don't generally have fear of the police although situationally I could. My job also tends to make them much nicer to me. (Pediatric icu RN). I interact with police at work regularly as well (due to unfortunate circumstances for children sadly).

I started as a trauma icu RN. Both that and being around the law growing up taught me that people don't appreciate the risk factors in their daily life. Take the OP. He basically stated he's combining together two risk factors that could create a situation with an LEO. Traffic stops are the gateway to police interactions. Have your stuff together outwardly and 99.99% police are going to be very disinterested in you. Smoking anything is a risk factor because it gets on everything and smells. Combine together speeding and other dumb stuff that is in any way illegal and you ought to be afraid of police. They are going to mess your life up at the least with fines and court dates.

Rebelfett likes this.
  2. MrPaigeVanZant

MrPaigeVanZant Taylor Swift Nation

This is an oldie but goodie by Chris Rock.

Stalkingsquid, Mike, herra and 2 others like this.
  3. TidWell

TidWell Silver Belt

yes big time, I dont drink or do drugs but they scare me a lot of them have power hungry personas and abuse their power.

Ive seen cops lose their temple over the littlest thing, my heart pounds hard, around them and as a minority a person of color am nervous around them.

Look at Tennis star James blake this guy looks like me clean cut same light skinned brother, but he got taken down without warning by an officer

4. Protectandserve

Protectandserve Black Belt

Only with the brass...

Medulla Omoplata likes this.
  5. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Silver Belt

I have a lot of friends who are cops and I am extremely good with them.

That said I am nervous around them until I can get them chatting and know there is no issue or I have disarmed any potential situation with my humour.

As a big explosive person you just know that you are just one misread away from something more tragic as James Blake knew and went completely passive when he had every right to fight back.

And i say this as an outstanding citizen who never does drugs and hardly drinks and lives a pretty ideal life. But growing up as a kid I remember my dad being harrassed by police for DWB often and once he bought himself a 65 Thunderbird as a present for himself for some business success the harassment went thru the roof. Any excuse to pull him over and ask him where he got the car, whose car it was, etc. I remember my mom in tears begging him to get rid of the car and not show any flash that would attract police attention and to not stand out just because he was having some success. He did get rid of the car and over time DWB's became less of an issue.

6. Rebelfett

Rebelfett Likebot

Yes. When I was younger before I was blessed with Fett jr and baby Fett I was an asshole and junkie. Before cleaning up I spent years in and out of jail and did 18 months in Illinois department of corrections. Since May of 07 I’ve been completely sober and completely compliant with the laws, but whenever I see an officer near me I get quite paranoid. I’ve had enough run ins and have been in some physical confrontations. I never want to leave my kids and I’m always scared a “piano is gonna fall one my head” and everything I’ve worked for will be for naught. So I do everything I can to ensure I never see any trouble.

Gazwald, rocketskates, pinger and 3 others like this.
  7. 22k

22k ベルセルク

no, because I am the police.

8. steve38

steve38 Black Belt

This. If you see one nearby and YOU instigate the interaction, it figuratively disarms them and takes away some of their power. Not unlike any other 'bad guy' who might be scoping you out or sizing you up for some sort of nefarious shenanigans.

Rebelfett likes this.
  9. Nooob

Nooob Blue Belt

Yes, I avoid talking to them at all cost unless if they question me. Sick of it when 95% of the police here have condescending tone.

Rebelfett likes this.
  10. cheachea

cheachea Green Belt

I have a Fraternal Order of Police Sticker on my window (Because We Donated) So hopefully that will help me out a little bit.

[​IMG]

11. Queen B

Queen B Silver Belt

No. Not of a skin color where I have to fear for my life of getting shot here in NYC for doing nothing wrong.

Alphaboy and Rebelfett like this.
  12. Mark Cutting

Mark Cutting Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

Eye roll...

It typically stems from the mass of low iq mouth breathers abundant in the dog' and their typical clichés, lies and infantile aversion to authority

13. Mark Cutting

Mark Cutting Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

Lol at "nothing"

you #woke or nah ?

14. Lethal

Lethal Forum Administrator Staff Member Forum Administrator Senior Moderator Administrator

Nope, never had a bad experience with them, though I do take a quick look at my tachometer when there's one driving behind me.

Headkicktoleg and Ceez like this.
  15. herra

herra Green Belt

I'm 99% sure you white

Alphaboy likes this.
  16. IloveTHIS

IloveTHIS Yellow Card Yellow Card

Yea so?

Last time I got pulled over it was a black state trooper and he let me off with out even checking my license/registration when he could have impounded my car and put me in jail for reckless. I love cops

Nameless Ghoul likes this.
  17. Tuf_guy

Tuf_guy Silver Belt

Yes - ever since I was followed for about 1 1/2 mile by a cop for no reason but that he was doing a ride along and wanted to show her how to do a stop...
    "You need to turn your signal on 200 feet before you turn..." and he went on to say, "If we want to pull you over, we'll find an excuse. Just don't make it easy for us."

Fuck the pigs. And whoever feels strongly otherwise. I think standup people are not the majority among their ranks.

Pepper likes this.
  18. Nameless Ghoul

Nameless Ghoul Brown Belt

No, I get the split second "gasp" feeling if they are behind me and their lights turn on, but that's it. Although, it happens somewhat frequently around here because I work 2nd's, and coming home I've noticed police use their lights, to blow through red lights that time of night. I've only been pulled over maybe five times in my life and only once for speeding, the others were an out head/tail light or the infamous "license plate light". I also watch Live PD on Friday and Saturday nights...so I know what they're about.

19. Ceez

Ceez The Catalyst

Lived in the hood growing up and I'm used to interacting with them. For the most part they're cool unless you don't cooperate. It's all a game and you have to know how to play it. If you wanna be Billy-badass you're gonna get the shit end of the stick. If you suck up your pride and just give straight forward answers and are polite things usually go pretty smooth. It's almost like a choose your own adventure..

20. Mike

Mike Apathetic Belt

I mean yeah..... I'm a minority. Never been arrested but had a few unpleasant run ins and almost got shot once, just because of skin color. I'm smart enough to always remain calm and civil around them, but the less I interact with them the better.

They spend more time cruising around looking for random people to fuck with than anything else in my experience.