Do you feel nervous and uncomfortable around the police?

I’m a mixed race black male living in Canada.
The police culture and its historical relationship with the black community in the United States is its own complicated thing. I don't have the time or inclination to get into it all but I'd suggest doing some research. Tidwell linked the James Blake video ITT didn't he?

It seems that part of being white is being polite with the police. Watching the cop shows you see how people get in trouble. First, don't give them reason to stop you. Follow the law, have your vehicle registered. Check your lights and use turn signals. Don't hang out in high drug use neighborhoods. Don't smoke weed in your car. Anybody can smell it. It seems that many black people don't have a drivers license or any form of identification on them. That immediately raises suspicions that the person is hiding something. Listen to the officer and follow instructions. That seems to be the most difficult thing for black people to do.

On Live PD they followed a car that didn't have any tail lights and tried to pull it over. The vehicle didn't stop and they had to get a second officer. It was an older black woman who got out of her car mad as hell, telling the officers that they were just pulling her over because she is black before even giving the officer a chance to tell her that her tail lights weren't on. The victim culture made her believe they didn't have a reason to stop her. The officer tried to explain that he couldn't tell who was in the car. It took several minutes to cool her down enough to be able to tell her the reason they stopped her.

If you're white American and want to experience what black people feel in America, travel to Malaysia. You will come back with new perspective and empathy towards prejudices towards minorities.

Back