Do you fix your own car?

TheWobbler

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I have no mechanical experience but with the amount of videos on youtube I will now try do most things on my car myself.

I was to scared to try anything but the amount of money garages charge these days is ridiculous. The mark up on parts is shocking and they put the cheapest brands in.

The last straw was when they tried to charge me over 300 quid for brake pads and discs. So I watched a video and did them my self. All went well and I couldnt believe how simple it was to do.

Last week I replaced the combination stalk as the wipers had stopped working.

Just failed my MOT today, 2 suspension arms need replaced. Out of curiosity I asked the garage to price up the work and they wanted £380. Got the parts my self for £130 and am going to attempt them tomorrow.

Yes I sound poor, but I refuse to give away money.

Not too long ago, I had a flat, and had to remove, and then install the donut. I have replaced light headlights, windshield wipers, and batteries.

When I was poor I used to do my own oil changes and brake pads. Now I just pay for it cause it's too much of a pain. I still do simple things like batteries, wiper blades....etc

I do the same TS. I could afford to have it done but I can't tolerate getting ripped off.

I've done belts, brakes, o2 sensors, lights, and wheel bearings.

Had a guy at work do timing belt and water pump....charged me 250, shop would charge a grand.

Very simple stuff yes, but I was spoiled for along time as one of my close friend (that we I also lived with for 2 years) is a mechanic and would just do everything for me. Often times I would just pay for the price of the parts, which were very good at his cost. Also since we have 'newer' Honda's we haven't had to do anything significant.

I do the same TS. I could afford to have it done but I can't tolerate getting ripped off.

I've done belts, brakes, o2 sensors, lights, and wheel bearings.

Had a guy at work do timing belt and water pump....charged me 250, shop would charge a grand.

The amount they charge to install an 02 sensor is crazy. The tool to do it cost 10 pound maybe less on ebay. Then just unclip the other end and install the new one. 10 minute job.

I respect your game TS and wish I could do the same. I would love to try it someday.

I do most work on my vehicles for the same reason as you. Most things are just outrageously priced. In addition I have seen such shoddy work performed for top dollar prices that I just can't justify not doing my own repairs if I'm able.
I found a great mechanic for those times when a lift is needed. If I had a lift I could do almost anything.

I do very simple stuff i know i can do, i'm also became good at cover scratches on the car body with paint and fixer

Back in my 15/16s i remember i was basically able to dismantle, assemble and change parts of my scooter kinda easily
Also to disassemble another scooter to get the pieces lol

nah dude, i have no idea what any of that shit under the hood does, i can change the tires and thats it

I usually do, but electrical issues I need help with.

I remember i had to change the rear brake caliper and springs on my car one time. I called a few shops, they wanted an average of $385 to $400.

I bought the part and the specific tool for it, and i spent less than $60 and bout 30 min on each tire.

I did when I was young and drove a simple beater. Newer cars have too much sophisticated shit under the hood. The most I’ve done lately is add Freon to my wife’s AC system which is nothing.

Chain shops will often up sell products to customers with their for lack of better term “licensed” auto mechanics. You are better off going to a local mom & pops shop over a chain shop if you are seeking better, professional service since the local mom & pops shop generate most of their business profits from returning customers.

I have no mechanical experience but with the amount of videos on youtube I will now try do most things on my car myself.

I was to scared to try anything but the amount of money garages charge these days is ridiculous. The mark up on parts is shocking and they put the cheapest brands in.

The last straw was when they tried to charge me over 300 quid for brake pads and discs. So I watched a video and did them my self. All went well and I couldnt believe how simple it was to do.

Last week I replaced the combination stalk as the wipers had stopped working.

Just failed my MOT today, 2 suspension arms need replaced. Out of curiosity I asked the garage to price up the work and they wanted £380. Got the parts my self for £130 and am going to attempt them tomorrow.

Yes I sound poor, but I refuse to give away money.

I've always worked on my own vehicles. Biggest drawback used to be that you needed specialized equipment for certain things - like a ball joint press if you wanted to replace your ball joints. At least here in the US, most the major auto parts places will loan you all manner of specialty tools for free.

I've done everything myself since I was a kid. All my friends growing up loved building cars so it became my #1 hobby for damn near 20 years. I also don't trust people to work on my shit.

Yes. I try to do most of it myself. The only thing I couldn't do recently was an alternator on a 2010 Honda Odyssey. That frickin thing was way under the car. You really needed something to lift the vehicle up high to get at it as you couldn't reach it from the top. Other than that I've done water pulp, thermostats, brake pads, alternators, filters, lights, exhaust, electric window motors, etc. I refuse to pay someone so much damn money for something I can do myself. They rip you off on labor costs these days.

On my wheelers I did everything from transmission, engine and diff swaps to rebuilding t-cases. I set up diff gears once, but never again. Changed out the oil pump in a 6L gmc once, and that was a complete PITA. Chopped up and rebuilt an 85 GS1150, built a 79/91/85 chopped/bobbed Frankenstein Ford/Dodge truck on 40s, a 79 Waggoner on 38s, etc etc. I still like fiddling and will do my own maintenance, but am not as much of a gearhead as I used to be.

Yes. I try to do most of it myself. The only thing I couldn't do recently was an alternator on a 2010 Honda Odyssey. That frickin thing was way under the car. You really needed something to lift the vehicle up high to get at it as you couldn't reach it from the top. Other than that I've done water pulp, thermostats, brake pads, alternators, filters, lights, exhaust, electric window motors, etc. I refuse to pay someone so much damn money for something I can do myself. They rip you off on labor costs these days.

It wouldn't be so bad but the guy doing the work hardly gets paid maybe 1/4 of the labor rate.

Back