Do you guys use any adaptogens for recovery?

Rdb1234

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I have just got back into martial arts and I'm hoping to train quite a lot. In mind of this, I want to possibly incorporate some adaptogens into my diet maybe 2-3 times per week primarilly for the purpose of muscle recovery rather than enhanced performance.

I'm not looking for anything too stimulatory which kinda puts me off something like ashwagandha.The adaptogens I am considering are Siberian ginseng, rhodiola and cordyceps.

Any specific recommendations or guidance?

Cheers

I have just got back into martial arts and I'm hoping to train quite a lot. In mind of this, I want to possibly incorporate some adaptogens into my diet maybe 2-3 times per week primarilly for the purpose of muscle recovery rather than enhanced performance.

I'm not looking for anything too stimulatory which kinda puts me off something like ashwagandha.The adaptogens I am considering are Siberian ginseng, rhodiola and cordyceps.

Any specific recommendations or guidance?

Cheers

Try a site like:

https://examine.com/

See if anything your looking to take actually has any backing regarding what you want it to do.....

A good diet and plenty of water might be all you really need to start off with.

Try a site like:

https://examine.com/

See if anything your looking to take actually has any backing regarding what you want it to do.....

A good diet and plenty of water might be all you really need to start off with.

Thanks for your reply mate.

Yes, plenty of sleep is the most important step in recovery.

I am going to supplement with Siberian ginseng and ashwagandga. Having looked into the latter more it is actually just what I’m looking for, contrary to what I originally thought!

I have used ashgawanda because it's supposed to increase your vo2 max. I stopped though because it was making me feel tired

I've also taken cordyceps. I honestly can't tell if it had an effect or not.

I like eleuthero (siberian ginseng) the best. It makes me really mellow. Effects wear off in like 4-6 weeks tho. I've only used the Now Foods brand and take like 3g a day.

Ashwaghandha is good too but it's difficult to say if I feel anything from it. Never noticed anything from Cordyceps or Reishi. Rhodiola and Schizandra are supposed to be good but I'm not really a fan. Too stimulating; like drinking a few cups of coffee.

Adaptogens or adaptogenic substances are used in herbal medicine for the claimed stabilization of physiological processes and promotion of homeostasis.
Implying+jersey+shore+lacks+brains+that+s+the+joke+_505f8fea3dd6787dd538498aad02c15c.png

I like eleuthero (siberian ginseng) the best. It makes me really mellow. Effects wear off in like 4-6 weeks tho. I've only used the Now Foods brand and take like 3g a day.

Ashwaghandha is good too but it's difficult to say if I feel anything from it. Never noticed anything from Cordyceps or Reishi. Rhodiola and Schizandra are supposed to be good but I'm not really a fan. Too stimulating; like drinking a few cups of coffee.

Thanks for your reply. Yep, I get a simiar feeling from Siberian ginseng and I like that it's not too stimulating, just a subtle mellow effect. I'm only taking it once or twice per week though. Do you feel like it enhances your performance, or just mellows you out and helps your muscles relax?

I couldn't say if I notice a direct effect on performance. But for that short time, it seems to reduce my overall stress level which helps me train more in the gym.

My favorites in order

Cordyceps + reishi both in combination supposedly exponentially help cardiovascular system than separately

Chaga - very expensive, another adaptogenic mushroom that is anti cancer

Lions mane - yet another shroom, great for brain health

Siberian ginsing
Bacopa for brain health
Ginger tea makes me feel great
Rhodiola, black maca, ashwagandha is ok
Raw cacao powder - straight up stimulant if you like that drug feel

I’m very biased towards mushrooms, just something about them are so effective for energy levels and well-being

My favorites in order

Cordyceps + reishi both in combination supposedly exponentially help cardiovascular system than separately

Chaga - very expensive, another adaptogenic mushroom that is anti cancer

Lions mane - yet another shroom, great for brain health

Siberian ginsing
Bacopa for brain health
Ginger tea makes me feel great
Rhodiola, black maca, ashwagandha is ok
Raw cacao powder - straight up stimulant if you like that drug feel

I’m very biased towards mushrooms, just something about them are so effective for energy levels and well-being

Awesome. Thanks very much for that.

Back