Do you have an issue playing games as a female character? For example Tomb Raider?

In the case where a player can choose the gender of his/her character with no difference in stats or changing the outcome of the story, sometimes I wonder why a male player would choose the opposite gender and vice versa. I see the character as a digital extension of myself and my personality, so it's only natural that I would select male for my gender and customize the appearance to match my own. Sometimes I wonder if they harbor transsexual fantasies by picking the opposite gender to their own, which isn't a problem per se, but it's just a notion that I've had for a long time.

I always make an avatar modeled after an idealization of myself on first runs, but in games that I love, and play through multiple times, where it is an option, I almost invariably make a female with my second toon. Where females are the protagonist by default I tend to have no issue.

It's obvious, forced political agendas imposed on the narrative that destroy the suspension of disbelief. Immersion in narrative in any art form depends on this suspension of disbelief. Don't slap me in the face with your hostile, confrontational politics in a product that I purchase from you. That is my message to silicon valley as far as gender politics. It's quite simple.

Tell a story. Girls live in the world, too. The need to appropriate male stories as a matter of politics only indicates that the game-maker is sexist, and believes women are inferior, not me. I'm happy to immerse myself in stories that reflect genuine female experiences, and enjoy them as such, for the very reason they do offer a perspective that is interesting to me by virtue of their unfamiliarity.

If those don't sell as well, hey, don't blame men. Women don't buy WNBA tickets, either.

No, but I do have a problem with devs being kinda forced or guided to have to make that choice. Now female leads in SP's are far, far more common than 5 years ago, and it's not some new design choice, but pressure to do so. This creates a forced creative stage, which is completely unnecessary.

All comes down to the game type. With games like Tomb Raider, doesnt matter as long as the game is fun. In RPGs, I play a male character since I cant get myself to read my characters lines in any voice other than my own. So anything outside of story based games = does not make a difference to me.

I always play as a female character if given the choice. I'm in touch with my feminine side bro. Plus I love character creators and I'd rather spend time designing a woman over a dude
and then nude mod it

I have 2 characters on GTA Online a male and female. My male is my main but my female char had a lot of work put into her. Rank 300+ and i own almost all the properties for her.

Gives more variety and funny when you take her to a hooker.

Waiting for all the femshep nerds to arrive.

@Lethal @Zer

I played through ME as a male and again as a female. IMO it’s more fun as the female. For some reason the male’s voice was too corny for me. Plus, it’s more fun searching out all the lesbians in the game.

i will give the default answer and say "do you want to stare at a mans ass or a womans ass"

I hate when you cant make your own character, unless its DoomGuy or something.

Depends what games.

First person shooter and war games? Yes, I have issues. It just doesn't feel right and natural at all. FPS are geared toward male gamers.

MK/SF/Tekken type fighting games? Not at all. They're fun to play with.

I played an Amazon in D2 and an Assassin in D3 so I didn't have a choice.

No i dont care if thats part of the story, but if you are a male playing an MMO who makes a female eh i might make fun of you.

Back in the day I pretended to be a chick in WoW just because dudes would give me free shit and generally treat me like a princess. This was before voicechat became a standard thing though so you can't really pull it off anymore

Back in the day I pretended to be a chick in WoW just because dudes would give me free shit and generally treat me like a princess. This was before voicechat became a standard thing though so you can't really pull it off anymore
<PlusJuan>

It use to work so well back in the day

I just play females and name every one of them Jessica.

I love to run around with a skinny girl naked with a huge Zweihander fucking idiots in every Dark Souls.

If a game has a character creator that is very good and can make sexy females, I will most likely play as that.

I don't see myself as the game character so I have no problems looking at T&A while I play.

Ew lol

I do, and I have no clue how to explain that.

Last Tomb Raider looked good, next one looks great too. But I know I wont touch it.

Sad really. I just cant get myself into it.
I think it completely natural and not at all a case of what chauvinisms people want to attach to it. As a man playing and/or becoming a character, why would a man not readily be a first-line identity to assume? For players for whom it matters less, that's fine too but there's a necessary level of disconnection or then abstraction there, I would argue, unless they in fact wish to be female themselves – which is also their prerogative.

A monkey-wrench might be in our reproductive draw to the opposite sex; in that, a male wants to play as a female from a save-the-queen, protect-her-at-all-costs headspace, which is again completely natural if not principally honourable.

Back