Do you like this?

Assuming I understand your point and question - which I am not going to confidently proclaim that I do - I love it. Chuck's chin was gone, but the way that he fought Franklin, that's what warriors look like. Fedor fought a long time with no chin and no ability to recover, he still went out trying to knock every opponent's jaw off their face. Wanderlei lost his superhuman recovery power, but he never stopped being The Axe Murderer. It's better than a case like Cro Cop, who once he lost a step just couldn't/wouldn't pull the trigger. He'd circle, he'd circle, he'd cover up, he'd circle, and I'd be screaming at the TV: "Throw something!" This is Mirko motherfucking Cro Cop, and he'd just circle guys and maybe throw a slow, telegraphed LHK once a round. It took him years, but eventually, maybe when he came to terms with the fact that he was no longer the same Cro Cop, he had that "Fuck it" moment with himself and started letting loose again and went 10-0 the last 5 years of his career.

Ideally, you have a successful career and you walk away at a good, productive, and healthy point in your career and your life. But if you have to go out, it's always better - for us fans who worship at the alter of the Just Bleed God, but also I'm sure for the fighters to be able to move on with no regrets - to go out swinging.

You lost me at Gane, when did he lose a step? Granted he fought MT for a while but he only has like 13 mma fights and is in his early 30s which is still fairly young for a heavyweight.

I love this as well (if im understanding correctly). One of my favorites was Chris Leben. It was always kill or be killed. His fights with sexyama, Wanderlei, and Brian stann were fucking amazing. Even after he lost 4 in a row, the guy jumps to bareknuckle and still fights the same way. I love mma because it's unpredictable but with Leben, you knew what you were going to get and it was great.

I respect it. I respect the Pride, the Bushido spirit, the willingness, despite all odds, to stand there and fight. To not point fight, to not Greg Jackson the shit out of a canvas. Buchecha for me recently displayed the Pride / Bushido spirit. He got blasted early, pulled guard, only to eat more punches, had good positioning, only to lose it, and then, he chose to stand and bang, despite all odds, and he never backed down. that is real fighter spirit. there is a reason why people, the crowd love these kinds of fights and fighters. it's bravery at it's finest.

I may enjoy the kill or be killed approach by a long time, shop worn veteran in the moment, but the aftermath isn't nearly as fun and I tend to end up wishing they would have retired already or diversified. RDA is still skilled, but he's far beyond his physical prime and has a ton of mileage on him. He can't fight the way he used to. It makes sense for him. I respect and understand both approaches.

Back