Do you remember/miss Unsolved Mysteries?

The year was 1987. The network? NBC. The event? The premiere of Unsolved Mysteries, a TV show that would go on to attract viewers in the tens of millions.

It started off as a series of three specials called "Missing. . . Have you seen this person?" And from this initial series came what we would know as Unsolved Mysteries, hosted by the incomparable Robert Stack. Dealing with a wide variety of speculative topics, the show covered stories ranging everywhere from true crime cases and lost loves to alternative history and the paranormal.

A quick rundown of the show's broadcast history:

*1987-1997: the show airs on NBC but canceled in 1997 due to declining ratings after being moved from Wednesday nights to Friday nights in 1994

*1997-1999: CBS picks up the show for a few limited, six-episode seasons, airing at 9 PM

*2001-2002: Lifetime picks up the show, re-airing old episodes and sporadically producing new ones, airing the show between 11 AM and 3 PM

*2008-2010: Spike picks up the show and revamps it, with a new set, new logo and new host (Dennis Farina), but exclusively uses old cases for their episodes

*2010-Present: Lifetime begins re-airing the revamped Dennis Farina episodes

Personally, I haven't seen the show in years, but last night I remembered watching it as a kid with my grandmother. Those are good memories. I fucking LOVED Unsolved Mysteries. Now I think I'm going to go try to track down as much of the series as I can and re-live that experience.

So who else here remembers Unsolved Mysteries and has some good memories of watching it back in the day?

Dat logo:

unsolvedmysteries.jpg

unmys1.jpg

Dat Robert Stack:

4557030_l2.jpg

Dat intro:

I’m legit obsessed with this show

The eerie and perfect music score along with Stack’s haunting voice was absolutely perfect. The music used to scare me when I was really young. I’m incredibly interested in cold cases and unsolved mysteries, which I read about daily, so this show was special for me

I was able to find clips on YouTube at first, but my GF got Amazon Prime do I can watch all the episodes, including the full first season which is hard to find

I’m going to watch the Farina episodes when I get to them, but nobody can touch Robert Stack

I remember one ufo episode, where some pilot in australia had reported some light above him and it was following him. Others witnessed that light over the plane as well. The airplane went missing and was never heard from again.

This was one of the scenes. Do you recall it?

latest

I like reading about mysteries a lot. I think it was Frederick Valentich, not sure if the spelling. His last words were freaky as fuck

I've been watching them on Amazon Prime, the first original season is free, the rest, you'll need a subscription.

Word of advice, don't watch it alone in the dark.

5268d5b5-c672-4eb0-9d11-69b463823b5e.jpg
I think you can watch season 2 onward on Hulu

I think you can watch season 2 onward on Hulu

Well, it’s certain segments and episodes that are missing on Amazon Prime. I think it will be the same thing on Hulu.

I like reading about mysteries a lot. I think it was Frederick Valentich, not sure if the spelling. His last words were freaky as fuck

Yeah, some way he was lost and it was spatial disorientation. Who knows, many airplanes go missing and we never what really happened. You can take an educated guess but who knows. Those UFO’s scared the hell out of me as a kid. Nowadays, not so much. I’ve become far more as a realist growing up but I still find these older cases as fascinating.

I am on the fence with this case when it comes to having a hitman taking out both Mary Morris’. If there was a hitman, it would be a would-be hitman. He probably had no idea what he was doing. They said her wedding ring was missing and that is a sign of a hired hit but that seems quite hollywoodish but that’s my point, the guy was probably a would-be hitman who watched too many movies. I don’t think the husband had anything to do with it.

For the second murder, I believe the husband was guilty as sin. He seemed so odd in his interview. I don’t believe you can let your phone ring for four minutes and the phone company will record it. I think he had his wife killed. He would’ve shown a picture of her to the killer unless there was a third man involved who was the hitman and the second guy was the broker. Then, the guy probably looked in the phone book, followed the wrong women and that was that. Then he had to go back and kill the targeted victim.

A part of me says that it was a wrong hit because two women with the same name getting killed in the same city within days is too big of a coincidence. Another a part of me says it was just one of those that happened, a coincidence happens, no matter how big of a coincidence.

Here's the thing about the hitman theory. . . It seems like if it were true, then all he had to go on was a name. And then he looked up an address in a phone book and went from there.

But surely if the husband of the second Mary Morris, as the theory goes, hired this hitman, then he would've provided details like where she works, the kind of car she drives, the route she usually takes home from work, probably her license plate number, a photo, etc. You know, just basic shit that would allow him to get a positive ID. I mean, unless everyone involved was literally retarded, it's just such a unthinkable fuckup.

As for the husband, I really didn't think he came off badly. Like I said, the only genuinely suspicious thing was the cell phone call. But even then, it doesn't seem like the phone company is even able to confirm in the call was connected. I guess there was also the bit about how he thought she might be having an affiair with his friend, but he at least claims that was answered to his satisfaction.

Here's the thing about the hitman theory. . . It seems like if it were true, then all he had to go on was a name. And then he looked up an address in a phone book and went from there.

But surely if the husband of the second Mary Morris, as the theory goes, hired this hitman, then he would've provided details like where she works, the kind of car she drives, the route she usually takes home from work, probably her license plate number, a photo, etc. You know, just basic shit that would allow him to get a positive ID. I mean, unless everyone involved was literally retarded, it's just such a unthinkable fuckup.

As for the husband, I really didn't think he came off badly. Like I said, the only genuinely suspicious thing was the cell phone call. But even then, it doesn't seem like the phone company is even able to confirm in the call was connected. I guess there was also the bit about how he thought she might be having an affiair with his friend, but he at least claims that was answered to his satisfaction.

That’s true, that’s why I’m on the fence. It’s just a odd thing to happen. Maybe, it was some type of phone book killer. Even if it wasn’t, there was sill a chance that it was a massive coincidence. I know the incident happened in 2000 and the numbers will sway but even today there are 200 Mary Morris’ in the Houston-Galveston area. So, there still a chance even though the odds are astronomical if it was a random hit by two people.

I read that one of the murders was made to look like a suicide. But it was poorly done. I’m not sure if this makes a difference that the murder was a hit or just a random act of violence.

Finally, I thought this was a case from the early 90’s but it was the 2000’s but looking at these pictures it seems a lot older than that.

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Mary_Morris_and_Mary_Morris

That’s true, that’s why I’m on the fence. It’s just a odd thing to happen. Maybe, it was some type of phone book killer. Even if it wasn’t, there was sill a chance that it was a massive coincidence. I know the incident happened in 2000 and the numbers will sway but even today there are 200 Mary Morris’ in the Houston-Galveston area. So, there still a chance even though the odds are astronomical if it was a random hit by two people.

I read that one of the murders was made to look like a suicide. But it was poorly done. I’m not sure if this makes a difference that the murder was a hit or just a random act of violence.

Finally, I thought this was a case from the early 90’s but it was the 2000’s but looking at these pictures it seems a lot older than that.

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Mary_Morris_and_Mary_Morris

Shit, I definitely thought it was mid-90s or so, not the 2000s. Those do not seem like 2000s-era girls to me.

I do think the idea of a "phone book killer" sounds more plausible than a botched hit. I could see a serial killer decide, "Hey . . . today I'm going to start killing some Mary Morris's," before I could see a hitman fucking things up so badly that he got the wrong girl.

As for the possibility of coincidence, it does seem unlikely, but considering how common the name Mary Morris undoubtedly is--like you said, 200 of them in the Houston area--it doesn't strike me as unbelievable. I'm sure I'd be more skeptical if it was two ladies with a name that was unusual.

Well, it’s certain segments and episodes that are missing on Amazon Prime. I think it will be the same thing on Hulu.

Yeah, some way he was lost and it was spatial disorientation. Who knows, many airplanes go missing and we never what really happened. You can take an educated guess but who knows. Those UFO’s scared the hell out of me as a kid. Nowadays, not so much. I’ve become far more as a realist growing up but I still find these older cases as fascinating.
Nope, Prime has the entire first season then charges for the rest. Hulu doesn’t have the first season but does have the full episodes starting season 2

I used to like the paranormal episodes better when I was a young kid but like the unsolved crime ones much more now

Nope, Prime has the entire first season then charges for the rest. Hulu doesn’t have the first season but does have the full episodes starting season 2

I used to like the paranormal episodes better when I was a young kid but like the unsolved crime ones much more now

Amazon Prime has 12 seasons. It says, seasons 1-12 are included with Amazon Prime. I’ve been watching the series like this. Ask @shadow_priest_x .

Yup, the missing people or murders are so intriguing. You hope the perp is caught or a break in the case occurs.

Just posted this show in the "Media that scared you when you were a kid thread"

I'm about halfway through Season 1. Crazy how many cases have been solved by the CODIS dna system. Most are done by random people who never even knew the victims. Also I thought it was strange that on Season 1, Episode 1, Robert Stack refers to a previous episode of UM in an Update. Seems weird.

@shadow_priest_x what is this shit? Change your av back.

Back