Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Why?

Why not?

2lbdd2t.jpg

No but have heard there are benefits

traps and neck are like calves- determined by genetics. I have noodle arms but I'm blessed to have a jacked yoke, which looks a lot better than having big biceps with tiny neck IMO. And because I value it so much, I try to keep it as full as possible by throwing in heavy shrugs every workout.

But if you really wanna blast your traps, do explosive snatch pulls like my man Lu here

I do upright rows and shrugs for traps. One compound move and one isolation movement. Works for me.

I do upright rows and shrugs for traps. One compound move and one isolation movement. Works for me.
I don't do any shrugs or upright rows and my traps are bigger than yours.

traps and neck are like calves- determined by genetics

Huh? Everything is "determined" by genetics.

If you mean you're putting the neck and traps in the same category of "hard to grow in the gym," then I would also disagree.

I bent over barbell rows at 45' or a bit higher and I find this works my upper back and traps just fine.

I shrugged a while back. Not much progress. When I added more a generalized approach to upper back work, I saw much better results.

2x per week.

Huh? Everything is "determined" by genetics.

If you mean you're putting the neck and traps in the same category of "hard to grow in the gym," then I would also disagree.
Yeah, I meant they were stubborn compared to other muscles. Like calves, some guys have bulging traps without ever doing direct work on it, while others slave away trying to grow it to no avail.

I shrug once a week and alternate between DB and Barbell every other month. I feel like downsets really help to make this muscle group sore if you are after hypertrophy. I also think that they are pretty easy to grow; if you have never shrugged before, you will start to see results quickly when you start. I'm not sure of their carry over for strength purposes though, I remember Pete Rubbish saying that he stopped shrugging because it does nothing for his deadlift.

I'm not sure of their carry over for strength purposes though, I remember Pete Rubbish saying that he stopped shrugging because it does nothing for his deadlift.
they dont, its a vanity lift.

I do, when people ask me a question to which im not sure the answer.

I shrug once a week and alternate between DB and Barbell every other month. I feel like downsets really help to make this muscle group sore if you are after hypertrophy. I also think that they are pretty easy to grow; if you have never shrugged before, you will start to see results quickly when you start. I'm not sure of their carry over for strength purposes though, I remember Pete Rubbish saying that he stopped shrugging because it does nothing for his deadlift.
I was doing them for a period of time as well, but also found they didn't help my deadlift. Power shrug might have a little more carryover.

Back