Do you shrug?

I do about 30 minutes of different kinds of shrugs every upper body workout. My basis is physio shrugs to hit the rhomboids and traps, but I also do at least one or two pure strength lifts.

Every body here should try the basic advice in Kelso's Shrug Book: whatever lift you're doing, finish it with shrugs.

On your final rep of your final set of squats, stand and shrug the bar until failure or near failure.

Bench press: same thing, but shrug the bar forward.

BO rows: same thing, but shrug the bar backwards with yoru arms extended (bringing your shoulder blades together).

Deadlift: do some shrugs at the top.

Dips/pull-ups: shrug your body upwards at the straight-arm, fully extended position.

Do it with everything. Doing shrugs at the top of front, lateral and rear delt raises is a wild time that makes your shoulder girdle feel like an iron block. Doing shrugs with the bar in a front squat position was a weird-as-hell movement that immediately carried over to escaping side-mount in BJJ.

I dont do it for size/looks. But i feel a bit stronger in the clinch when i do shrugs and neck curls.

Yeah. For some reason, traps can make a person look much bigger/more defined than they really are. Most "jacked" I've ever been was when there weren't any gyms nearby so I kind of made my own near the beach with spackle buckets, tractor tires, sledge hammer and got some old fire hoses from the fire station to use as heavy ropes and shrug carried the spackle buckets for several sets of about 40 yards.

traps and neck are like calves- determined by genetics. I have noodle arms but I'm blessed to have a jacked yoke, which looks a lot better than having big biceps with tiny neck IMO. And because I value it so much, I try to keep it as full as possible by throwing in heavy shrugs every workout.

But if you really wanna blast your traps, do explosive snatch pulls like my man Lu here

true, slow paced shrugs are for bodybuilding.

and btw that tyrone pic is like using a pic of K1 ubereem, their traps aren't from focused workout

Well thats comically inaccurate.

Here's deadlift world record holder Cailer Woolam

Or you can listen to bad seed

for 99% of the population, traps are not the limiting factor on their deadlift. Everyone does it for one reason only- bigass traps look beastly. It's ok to admit it, dont be shy.

Cailer Woolam says they help his lockout and he deadlifts 940lbs at 220lbs or so

Back