Do you think Conor Mcgregor's striking training for Floyd Mayweather bout will improve his MMA game?

Its not about his skills but rather about his confidence.

He was saying how his punches are going to break the guard and what have you. Against Floyd, he was shown that his power was inadequate since he made an overly cautious defensive boxer in to an offensive plotting forward fighter.

He may have improved skill wise but his mindset might be something that is in question not just because of his overinflated idea of his own power but also his reoccurring cardio problem.

By concentrating on training for Floyd he honed his strengths while also neglecting to address his weaknesses.

This is probably the most true thing. But I tell you what that jab is going to be really nice in the octagon.

If he can keep the fight standing there's very few people who can beat him.

It cant hurt.

Just as long as he keeps his unorthadox style and doesn't try and box 'traditionally' moving forward

He really is not all that "unorthadox". He uses kicks to keep distance and counters with the left when his opponent gets frustrated and lunges in. Whne he leads, he throws a feeler jab to straight left up the middle. He is good at it and it works. In MMA (not whatever the hell he was trying in Boxing) his Boxing part of his game is far more traditional then someone more unique like Floyd

MMA is my favourite sport, but you can't deny the hand skills of boxers are light years ahead of MMA's.

His biggest weakness was his cardio, I think preparing for a fight like this he'd have learnt to control himself a lot more.
Nope, Conor trained no grappling for a couple of months, just boxing. Grappling is still going to drain him, just like it always has

Conor came in with that one shot knock-out mentality and Floyd let him use all his gas trying to find it, so you may be right here. I don't think he took much away from the fight in terms of what he learnt but what he learnt building up to it.
If Conor learned anything new in training for Floyd, it likely came from new sparring partners that were actual boxers. I’m not saying Roddy sucks, but he doesn’t seem to be anything special as a striking coach. To admit that they didn’t plan to get walked down by Floyd reinforces that point.

Anyway, any MMA opponent that tries to stand and bang with Conor in the first two rounds is not very smart. Conor already had an advantage in boxing that should be minimized, and if he’s improved, that’s even more reason to attack his weaknesses and avoid boxing.

His hands will be better but he's gonna need to drill TDD and ground defense hard for this one. Fishing for a quick KO could leave him open for a TD.

Conor IS boxing.....

Heh. He talked his way into that fight, earned insane figures off doing so. Anyone who watches boxing could tell he had no business being in that ring as far as the actual fight goes.

Which is better, this or Ronda's shadowboxing?

Well Conor looks stupid here no doubt. But Conor is at least looking stupid swinging at a person defending lol. And not just any person. Floyd freaking Mayweather (ya i know he is not half the Boxer he was before). Ronda looked stupid just shadow boxing

Heh. He talked his way into that fight, earned insane figures off doing so. Anyone who watches boxing could tell he had no business being in that ring as far as the actual fight goes.
That fight should have never even been sanctioned. I get the whole money thing....but that was bad action.

Conor came in with that one shot knock-out mentality

LOL no he didn't! Conor was scared shitless to throw any real power punches because he 1. He didn't want to get countered and 2. He doesn't know how to throw power punches without loading up on his backfoot and launching himself into the punch (which would get him countered by a good Boxer). Conor threw a bunch of powerless arm punches. It looked like he was trying to win a decision or just not get finished

If Conor learned anything new in training for Floyd, it likely came from new sparring partners that were actual boxers. I’m not saying Roddy sucks, but he doesn’t seem to be anything special as a striking coach. To admit that they didn’t plan to get walked down by Floyd reinforces that point.

Anyway, any MMA opponent that tries to stand and bang with Conor in the first two rounds is not very smart. Conor already had an advantage in boxing that should be minimized, and if he’s improved, that’s even more reason to attack his weaknesses and avoid boxing.

Yep. I doubt he sparred against good boxers like that in his MMA camps.

LOL no he didn't! What the hell were you watching? Conor was scared shitless to throw any real power punches because he 1. didn't want to get countered and 2. doesn't know how to throw power punches without loading up on his backfoot and launching himself into the punch (which would get him countered by a good Boxer). Conor threw a bunch of powerless arm punches. It looked like he was trying to win a decision or just not get finished
He expected to tool Mayweather the same way he did to the likes of Alvarez but learnt quick that it doesn't work that way in boxing lol. Some of his timing was on, but it would take a lot more than one flurry to win a boxing match.

He expected to tool Mayweather the same way he did to the likes of Alvarez but learnt quick that it doesn't work that way in boxing lol. Some of his timing was on, but it would take a lot more than one flurry to win a boxing match.

I really don't think he thought he would win. Conor is not stupid. He knows he can't win the counter game against Floyd like he did VS Eddie. And his lead punches were really weak arm punches that were never going to get him a finish. It really did look like he just wanted to not get finished and be "competitive"

But who knows what Conors game plan was. Floyd did his home work and knew Conor hates being walked down. Floyd kinda ruined Conors chance to even show what his strategy was when he took Conor out of his comfort zone by walking him down

I really don't think he thought he would win. Conor is not stupid. He knows he can't win the counter game against Floyd like he did VS Eddie. And his lead punches were really weak arm punches that were never going to get him a finish. It really did look like he just wanted to not get finished and be "competitive"

But who knows what Conors game plan was. Floyd did his home work and knew Conor hates being walked down. Floyd kinda ruined Conors chance to even show what his strategy was when he took Conor out of his comfort zone by walking him down

Conor thought he had a punchers chance, but yep, this was all business.

Back