Do you think Joe Rogan is smart?

i think hes one dumb mfer. like seriously low iq dumb. below 100.

Self-deprecating humor doesn't convince me that someone is dumb.

But I agree with you 100% on the latter half of your statement. An overwhelming majority of people (no proof, just my conjecture) couldn't care less about being knowledgeable about anything outside of their immediate interests or outside of what they need to survive in their daily life, in other words, most people are ignorant as hell.

Oh I'm not saying whether he is dumb or not, but just that the idea that he "thinks he's smarter than he is" as some have said is odd since he straight up says the opposite constantly. If anything he's very aware of his lack of education and expertise on most subjects.

Intelligence and knowledge are related but NOT the same thing. Think of the definitions, then look them up.

Sequence of tenses (known in Latin as consecutio temporum, and also known as agreement of tenses, succession of tenses and tense harmony) is a set of grammatical rules of a particular language, governing the agreement between the tenses of verbs in related clauses or sentences.
His sentence is correct though. lol

He's definitely above average. I'd say his IQ is somewhere in the 116 range

I listen to him once in a while, and I think he makes sense a lot of the time. Of course, I don't agree with everything he says, but no one agrees with everyone.

I think he is knowledgeable about many things and tries to learn a lot about a variety of topics. Overall though, I think he's pretty intelligent.

He's firmly of average intelligence. I like him and his podcast but he's not an intellect by any means.

His main strength are his communication skills. He's a great interviewer and can keep a conversation going forever. But he isn't a smart person, or anything out of the ordinary(like some of his fanboys assume). He's not even a college graduate lol.

I'm a fan of his podcasts when mainly his guests are intellects. He's a great interviewer as he can get a lot of stuff out of them through conversations, that takes talent. But he gets a bit exposed as he's clearly not that intelligent in comparison.

Now when he's with his idiot comedian friends or MMA fighters he can sound like an intellect at times lol. But when met with real smart people he comes across as a bit dumb.

No one in the world believes that the ACT or SAT or LSAT determine intelligence. Although they do mirror some aspects of intelligence testing. Their primary purpose is determine if you possess basic problem solving skills taught during certain grades in school. If you were never taught the concepts or their foundational concepts, your intelligence doesn't matter, you won't do well on the tests.

But real intelligence tests go much further.

There is nothing wrong with the old school Binet-Simon Scale, but Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale is now the accepted test across disciplines and countries.

I'd love to learn more about Neuroimaging intelligence testing, although it could be used to hide racial and ethnic biases, rather than illustrate the impact of social, economic and environmental injustices on aspects of intelligence.

Two types of intelligences that are interesting reading topics are:
  1. Fluid intelligence
  2. Crystallized intelligence
Thank you for the insightful response, much of the terminology or nomenclature you mentioned I lack familiarity (I was in marketing prior to retiring) but I’m interested to learn about and will look into.

Anyway the reason I brought the subject of using a metric to assign intellect is because my travels have suggested that western civilization has really dropped the ball on recognizing intellect other than that measured in the aforementioned testing. Not to talk about myself but I’ve worked in several developing countries while having the privilege to train/learn from and live with the indigenous people. While the western thinking would consider them poor and uneducated and lacking intellect I was amazed at how smart, industrious and ingenious they actually are. Especially for an analogue guy such as myself who likes long lost skills, basic problem solving, tinkering, and building.

For example if most developed countries were to loose electricity, internet, and water/sewage and basic day to day essentials that we take for granted, we would be fucked on a large scale (see any random hurricane aftermath). same with developing countries but they would adjust and move on much faster because they aren’t as reliant on infrastructure, mass transit, and technology as developed countries are.

So my point is the third worlders outside of the cities would trump us in basic essential survival skills that a majority of westerners lack. Does that make one more or less intelligent...? No, but it suggests Westerners lack reverse adaptability while developing countries would not.

(for what ever reason we as society like to neatly catalog and categorize humans like books by education, social class, political/religious beliefs and most sadly materialism, as you know it isn’t nearly that simple...lol)

Apologies for my all over the place response, and not proof reading (typing on my iPhone and editing is a PITA) besides it’s only on my second coffee and my brain isn’t firing on all cylinders just yet.... lol

Probably. Or at least he may have been at one time.

But drugs have sure fucked him up. It’s hard to equate smart with “ once ever “. That’s just retarded.
People need to drop the ridicule of the ‘once ever’ comment. It is factually true, there will never again be a first ever women’s champion in the UFC.

Yea, he's smart enough.
Plus he's a comedian right? Good comedians are generally pretty intelligent people.
Annnnnd the most obvious answer is......

He's above average in intelligence for sure. He's not a genius or anything, but not many are. He would not be this successful in multiple professions if he were average or below in IQ.

LOL. Jesus Christ.

Do you not think: Neil Degrasse Tyson
Gustuffson, Askren and Romero
All the elite comedians
Sam Harris
Jeff Novinsky
Dr. Rhonda Patrick
Jordan Peterson
Billy Corgan
Courtney Dauwalter

Are they not elite at what they do?

Also, you could attempt at your own opinions other than just continually quoting me saying no more than that you disagree.

Well the first recent one that comes to mind... "Jon Jones probably failed his drug test because he did blow that was cut with steroid tainted creatine" LOL

Yeah, out of the thousands of hours he has talking on his podcast that is at the top of what I disagree with as well.

But cherry picking a few things out of thousands of hours of podcasts, doesn't necessarily indicate low IQ. While he generally can't be swayed by BS I wonder if he is distracted by what he "hopes" is the case as opposed to what is likely the case. And another poster made a good point that Jon Jones could be texting him directly influencing him.

Joe isn't stupid, he's a reasonably bright guy.

I do think he is kinda easily influenced though, it's funny that a guy who talks so much about confirmation bias seem oblivious to his own.

But I think he's trying to expand his knowledge and that's commendable.

I also think anyone who's job it is to talk as much as him will say stupid things from time to time.

Last edited:
Yeah, out of the thousands of hours he has talking on his podcast that is at the top of what I disagree with as well.

But cherry picking a few things out of thousands of hours of podcasts, doesn't necessarily indicate low IQ. While he generally can't be swayed by BS I wonder if he is distracted by what he "hopes" is the case as opposed to what is likely the case. And another poster made a good point that Jon Jones could be texting him directly influencing him.

I'm not one of the people saying he is low IQ. I just think he occasionally likes to bullshit and proclaim stuff he really isn't certain or knowledgeable about.

I would certainly not call him smart. Is he straight dumb? That is more nuanced, and there would have to be more context to that. His issue is more that he is not even remotely close to as smart as his fans think he is, or worse, as smart as he himself thinks he is, which is more his flaw, and his undoing.

Really of note with him, more so then if he is smart or not, is his much more common flaw of just being massively insecure, and trying to oversell his perceived by a large part of his audience as his "alpha-ness", to overcompensate.

Last edited:
Back