Do you think Joe Rogan is smart?

he's smarter than 99% of sherdoggers. but like most know-it-alls, sometimes he's full of crap. but that being said, I personally think he's very smart. great memory, witty, quick, and I like how he enjoys seeking information on things.

he's smarter than average for sure, but he's also egotistical as hell.
you can tell he's one of these people who's sure he knows everything about everything.

"...Structural equation models showed that general and verbal intelligence both predict humor production ability..."

"...the human sense of humor evolved at least partly through sexual selection as an intelligence-indicator."

(Greengross & Miller, 2011)

Link

there is no way to quantify humor. its subjective in nature. dont waste my time linking studies that i know will be garbage.

He's smart enough to know he isn't smart (or so he says). That's above average intelligence, especially in terms of celebrities and the average person. The average person believes they are much smarter than they are (just take a look at society, everybody with a high school diploma is an expert in everything nowadays). He has said many times that he's dumb but just smart enough to realize that he does not actually know shit. That being said, he plays up his knowledge of a lot of topics. I do not know if that is just him playing devil's advocate for his podcast to make it more entertaining, but when he has scientists on, I cringe. I also think the HGH or TRT or whatever he's on, has fucked with him, because he used to be more willing to admit he is wrong. It could also be that nowadays being able to admit you are wrong is seen as weakness so people tend to just dig in their heels and shout people down rather than admitting they are wrong.

I would say successful comedians require a certain type of intellect, but that is more social intellect and in no way represents what most people view as 'classical' intelligence.

Last edited:
I listen to him once in a while, and I think he makes sense a lot of the time. Of course, I don't agree with everything he says, but no one agrees with everyone.

I think he is knowledgeable about many things and tries to learn a lot about a variety of topics. Overall though, I think he's pretty intelligent.
xG3Aqsq.jpg

I listen to him once in a while, and I think he makes sense a lot of the time. Of course, I don't agree with everything he says, but no one agrees with everyone.

I think he is knowledgeable about many things and tries to learn a lot about a variety of topics. Overall though, I think he's pretty intelligent.

Dumb people think they are smart and Rogan suffers from that.

He's definitely smart, but most people seem to confuse stupidity with simply saying things they don't agree with.

We've seen Rogan being prone to hyperbole and overreaction as a hype-man and color commentator, which is reasonable. We've also seen him hold his own in an intelligent conversation, which is something you can't say for most of the people here.

A topic about Rogan... love it.

How are we supposed to measure his intelligence exactly ? That's fascinating.

IMO he has just done a good job of marketing himself. The problem is the fans who take everything he says as gospel.

Of course he's intelligent. I presume his intelligence is being questioned based on his selling of fighters in prefight promos and during the fight. Keep in mind that he has someone speaking in his ear instructing him to say that shit. He can't suddenly go on his podcast and say the opposite and set the record straight.

The only gripe I have with him is his excessive use of hyperbole.

No I don't, and I never have.

I've also never valued his opinion and have found him to be extremely overrated and fundamentally dumb and biased towards certain things / people.

At the end of the day, he's a UFC commentator, a Fear Factor host, and a stand up comedian - An unfunny one to me at that.

No one in the world believes that the ACT or SAT or LSAT determine intelligence. Although they do mirror some aspects of intelligence testing. Their primary purpose is determine if you possess basic problem solving skills taught during certain grades in school. If you were never taught the concepts or their foundational concepts, your intelligence doesn't matter, you won't do well on the tests.
Aren't people who take those tests taught those concepts?

And I think those test really are to determine if you are not smart vs. if you are smart. I don't know a dumb person that could score a perfect score on any of those tests.

Yeah he's a smart guy. Guy's a multi millionaire and doing a job he loves so nothing dumb about that

What are examples of him talking out of his ass?

He brings on leading experts in their fields, he isn't supposed to be more knowledgeable than them. And he often prefaces his statements with something self depreciating acknowledging that he isn't an expert in the area he is about to shoot on.

He expressed lots of opinions on lots of things, so it is statistically probable that people are going to disagree with him about some things, but that doesn't mean he isn't smart. He seems to have pretty sound logic with all of the conclusions he comes to.

Not really...he's not an expert at any particular field, he's not even a college graduate which most people of "normal" intelligence can achieve. That's insulting to people who posses Masters or Ph.Ds, who are geniuses well above average intellects, when a non-college graduate is considered an intellect.This discards his opinion being taken seriously at most things, or all things.

Being an Economics student, I can say he's completely clueless when he's commenting on such matters. Same can be said when he tries his luck at psychology, philosophy, science, physics, astronomy, I.T and A.I. To the the knowledegable person in such fields his views are worthless and wrong at all times.

But like I said earlier, he has good communication skills. When he's with an intellect like Prof Peterson we're curious as he is so we learn something too. And sometimes his podcast is a good laugh with Joey Diaz and Brendan nothing serious.

People have a problem when he tries to comment on things he has no clue about. He comes off as naive and ignorant because he's clearly uneducated on most stuff but acts like his opinion should be held highly.

Not really...he's not an expert at any particular field, he's not even a college graduate which most people of "normal" intelligence can achieve. That's insulting to people who posses Masters or Ph.Ds, who are geniuses well above average intellects, when a non-college graduate is considered an intellect.This discards his opinion being taken seriously at most things, or all things.

Being an Economics student, I can say he's completely clueless when he's commenting on such matters. Same can be said when he tries his luck at psychology, philosophy, science, physics, astronomy, I.T and A.I. To the the knowledegable person in such fields his views are worthless and wrong at all times.

But like I said earlier, he has good communication skills. When he's with an intellect like Prof Peterson we're curious as he is so we learn something too. And sometimes his podcast is a good laugh with Joey Diaz and Brendan nothing serious.

People have a problem when he tries to comment on things he has no clue about. He comes off as naive and ignorant because he's clearly uneducated on most stuff but acts like his opinion should be held highly.

I don't think being intelligent and being a scholar are necessarily tied together. Most scholars are intelligent but the fact that he didn't pursue a PHD is not seriously telling on what is IQ might be.

I think joe is a smart (not genius or anything) but somewhat uneducated man. I don't mean that condescendingly at all either. But there are some natural habits we have in our brains as humans that we often we have to question so as not to make false attributions (i.e. critical thinking). Without being put through the rigours of an education, this is much more difficult.

This is why I find he is a smart man, but often disagree with him. He can make jumps that I can't or won't follow because it doesn't actually connect to the topic. This is also why I think all education should be free.

All that said, joe talks for a living. I sound like a fucking idiot when I order a morning coffee, so how can I blame him? He's bound to say dumb shit here and there.

He's not dumb but he's not a genius either. I'd venture to say he's above average if only marginally.

Back